When did BMW's get sports mode?

Old July 21st 14, 10:54 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
David

Default When did BMW's get sports mode?

On 21/07/2014 01:19, really real wrote:

>> The "sports" package may even remove the switch, and it may instead
>> include
>> firmware that is "sporty" all the time.

> Nope, my wife bought a 2014 Sports and it comes with the sports mode switch
>>

>> Stop it with the music and pay attention to the road! If you have enough
>> attention available to listen to music you're probably not driving fast
>> enough.

> Do you go on long road trips? We have a lovely four hour one to visit an
> aunt, and it involves 90 minutes of freeway before it turns into a curvy
> lovely highway. There is often traffic preventing unnatural speeding.
> With her old Acura RSX I actually got caught doing 139 kph in an 80 kph
> stretch and the cops said at 140, they would have impounded the car
>

> For you Americans, that would be like doing 87 mph in an a 50 mph zone
>
> I would say that a person who drives distances and doesn't listen to
> music is someone who doesn't love music.

In a 6-pot, the music is the engine.

David
Old July 21st 14, 12:15 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark[_2_]

On Sun, 20 Jul 2014 17:21:40 -0700, really real >
wrote:

>I have to drink a lot of water for health reasons. Shouldn't a car have
>a cup holder for water drinkers?

If you have to drink a lot of water, then why not just drink a quart
every time you stop for a ****? There's no need for any cup holders if
you do that.

:-)
Old July 21st 14, 02:35 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message
> really real > wrote:
>>Sorry about the wrong number. I get confused by all these numbers.
>>
>>I assume my cousin's 3 Wagon is a Sports version because it has a sports
>>grill. But no button for Sports Mode (or Sports + or Econo) though mine
>>does.

> You guys are talking about two different things.
>
> First of all, the "sports" packages offer a bunch of things that may
> improve handling and performance.
>
> Secondly, the "efficient dynamics" system gives you that "Sports/Econo"
> switch that goes into the engine control system and affects the engine
> operation. For the most part, if you don't have the "efficient dynamics"
> stuff, the software in the engine controller assumes you want performance
> rather than economy. That switch allows you to change between two modes
> of
> the engine controller with different behaviours tailored for different
> applications and allows BMW to advertise good EPA mileage numbers while
> still making zippy cars.
>
>>I wonder if that was an option on some sports wagons but not others?

> It's all a bunch of crap. Get an old Bavaria with crank-up windows and
> a carb and go for a drive.

You mean like the lovely hired [i6] E30 320i I got to drive in Denmark back
in the 80's. It ws a great drive, although if it started raining I would
want to go out in my more modern 735i instead...

Old July 21st 14, 02:58 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
really real

>> I would say that a person who drives distances and doesn't listen to
>> music is someone who doesn't love music.
>>

> In a 6-pot, the music is the engine.

I was never a big fan of industrial rock

Old July 21st 14, 05:06 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

"really real" > wrote in message

>> 381?
>>
>> Sports Mode, like a button or something? They never put a button in the
>> 3 Series cars, but there was (is) a Sports Package that gives stiffer
>> springs, an upgraded wheel package and better seats.
>>
>> The really big question in my mind is that you ask when a feature
>> started, but go on to point out that your current model car is not
>> equipped with it. Under this circumstance, it seems to me that the
>> question would be when they took the feature out.

> Sorry about the wrong number. I get confused by all these numbers.
>
> I assume my cousin's 3 Wagon is a Sports version because it has a sports
> grill. But no button for Sports Mode (or Sports + or Econo) though mine
> does.
>
> I wonder if that was an option on some sports wagons but not others?

Sport and Economy on the shift lever is a button that changes the
transmission behavior. In Economy, the default mode, causes the transmission
to shift in a way that delivers optimum fuel economy -- the upshifts come
earlier and the downshifts from stomping on the gas take longer to be
invoked. Selecting the sport mode causes the current gear to remain longer
before the next gear is selected, and downshifts come easier. This gives
more power at the expense of using more gas. If the car is turned off while
the sport mode is selected, it will be in the economy mode upon the
subsequent restart.

You are mixing your apples and oranges. The sport grill (I'm not sure what
that is) is part of the sport package. Among other things, the sport package
includes some aerodynamic stuff, a different steering wheel, a tire package,
stiffer springs, and seats with thigh support and side bolsters. The
sport/economy button is standard.

Old July 21st 14, 05:39 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message

> "really real" > wrote in message
>>
>>> 381?
>>>
>>> Sports Mode, like a button or something? They never put a button in the
>>> 3 Series cars, but there was (is) a Sports Package that gives stiffer
>>> springs, an upgraded wheel package and better seats.
>>>
>>> The really big question in my mind is that you ask when a feature
>>> started, but go on to point out that your current model car is not
>>> equipped with it. Under this circumstance, it seems to me that the
>>> question would be when they took the feature out.

>> Sorry about the wrong number. I get confused by all these numbers.
>>
>> I assume my cousin's 3 Wagon is a Sports version because it has a sports
>> grill. But no button for Sports Mode (or Sports + or Econo) though mine
>> does.
>>
>> I wonder if that was an option on some sports wagons but not others?

> Sport and Economy on the shift lever is a button that changes the
> transmission behavior. In Economy, the default mode, causes the
> transmission to shift in a way that delivers optimum fuel economy -- the
> upshifts come earlier and the downshifts from stomping on the gas take
> longer to be invoked. Selecting the sport mode causes the current gear to
> remain longer before the next gear is selected, and downshifts come
> easier. This gives more power at the expense of using more gas. If the car
> is turned off while the sport mode is selected, it will be in the economy
> mode upon the subsequent restart.
>
> You are mixing your apples and oranges. The sport grill (I'm not sure what
> that is) is part of the sport package. Among other things, the sport
> package includes some aerodynamic stuff, a different steering wheel, a
> tire package, stiffer springs, and seats with thigh support and side
> bolsters. The sport/economy button is standard.

Cars with the selectronic, or whatever they call it, may not have the sport
mode button because there is a manual shift mode that the driver invokes by
moving the gear selector to the side. No sport button, but still a sport
mode, and a means of selecting the gear changes manually.

Old July 22nd 14, 01:15 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
really real

> Cars with the selectronic, or whatever they call it, may not have the
> sport mode button because there is a manual shift mode that the driver
> invokes by moving the gear selector to the side. No sport button, but
> still a sport mode, and a means of selecting the gear changes manually.

That's what my cousin has, selectronic but no sports mode button.

My wife's car has selectronic, paddles, and a sports mode button
Old July 22nd 14, 04:39 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

"really real" > wrote in message

>> Cars with the selectronic, or whatever they call it, may not have the
>> sport mode button because there is a manual shift mode that the driver
>> invokes by moving the gear selector to the side. No sport button, but
>> still a sport mode, and a means of selecting the gear changes manually.

> That's what my cousin has, selectronic but no sports mode button.
>
> My wife's car has selectronic, paddles, and a sports mode button

I think they really call it steptronic, but whatever.

You can put the gear selector in D and you have the economy mode, and you
can move the lever to the side and you get the sport mode. In the sport mode
position, you can move the gear selector fore and aft to invoke manual gear
changes.

All modern cars have a variant of the sports/economy button that changes the
shift points of the transmission. This is true on cars that only have a D
choice. If your car has gear selector positions that are labelled as P R N
D, then there will be a sports/economy button. If the choices are P R N D 2
1, or similar, then there will be a button that disables OD (overdrive),
otherwise the driver simply moves the gear selector to the desired
position -- there is no need to have multiple programs that are
button-selectable because the driver can invoke his own program by moving
the selector among the available positions.

Auto makers are smart enough to realize that while 99% of the products they
sell will never be operated outside of the economy mode, there is a group of
consumers that will want to have a more aggressive shift program. Even when
there are drivers that want the more aggressive shifting program, they don't
want it all of the time.

Old July 22nd 14, 05:24 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
really real

> I think they really call it steptronic, but whatever.
>
> You can put the gear selector in D and you have the economy mode, and
> you can move the lever to the side and you get the sport mode. In the
> sport mode position, you can move the gear selector fore and aft to
> invoke manual gear changes.
>
> All modern cars have a variant of the sports/economy button that changes
> the shift points of the transmission. This is true on cars that only
> have a D choice. If your car has gear selector positions that are
> labelled as P R N D, then there will be a sports/economy button. If the
> choices are P R N D 2 1, or similar, then there will be a button that
> disables OD (overdrive), otherwise the driver simply moves the gear
> selector to the desired position -- there is no need to have multiple
> programs that are button-selectable because the driver can invoke his
> own program by moving the selector among the available positions.
>
> Auto makers are smart enough to realize that while 99% of the products
> they sell will never be operated outside of the economy mode, there is a
> group of consumers that will want to have a more aggressive shift
> program. Even when there are drivers that want the more aggressive
> shifting program, they don't want it all of the time.

Econo Mode is not just about the transmission. The fan and the air
conditioning are also affected.