Uneven tyre wear on F10 5 Series

Old June 24th 13, 05:15 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bob[_59_]

Default Uneven tyre wear on F10 5 Series

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in

>Bob > wrote:
>>>

>>I actually trust the tyre shop technician (who is probably about 35 as are
>>most that work there) more than the BMW shop, he deals with very fast
>>cars,
>>i've seen Ferraris and Porsches in there, as well as the mundane like my 5
>>series. This is probably the premier tyre shop/depot in the UK and I doubt
>>that BMW have equipment any better.

>Well, then ask him to explain what he thinks is wrong.

He considers with the number of F10/11 BMW's he has seen with similar
problems that there has either been a manufacturing fault** or the
suspension is not up to UK roads, ie a design fault.
** The wrong length camber adjustment arm fitted, there are two.

--
Regards. Bob

Old June 25th 13, 06:07 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

Bob > wrote:

>He considers with the number of F10/11 BMW's he has seen with similar
>problems that there has either been a manufacturing fault** or the
>suspension is not up to UK roads, ie a design fault.
>** The wrong length camber adjustment arm fitted, there are two.

I don't know, I haven't heard of anything like that in the US. If you
were in the US, I'd suggest you write the bmwcca magazine a letter asking
how many other people had seen these issues. The BMW Car Club of the UK
is similar, though.
--scott

Old June 26th 13, 07:58 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bob[_59_]

"Scott Dorsey" wrote ...

>Bob wrote:
>>
>>He considers with the number of F10/11 BMW's he has seen with similar
>>problems that there has either been a manufacturing fault** or the
>>suspension is not up to UK roads, ie a design fault.
>>** The wrong length camber adjustment arm fitted, there are two.

>I don't know, I haven't heard of anything like that in the US. If you
>were in the US, I'd suggest you write the bmwcca magazine a letter asking
>how many other people had seen these issues. The BMW Car Club of the UK
>is similar, though.

I'll see what BMW say and do first, get it checked and take it from there.
Will let you know what happens.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old July 8th 13, 05:58 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bob Hobden[_2_]

"Bob" wrote ...

>"Scott Dorsey" wrote ...
>>
>>Bob wrote:
>>>
>>>He considers with the number of F10/11 BMW's he has seen with similar
>>>problems that there has either been a manufacturing fault** or the
>>>suspension is not up to UK roads, ie a design fault.
>>>** The wrong length camber adjustment arm fitted, there are two.

>>I don't know, I haven't heard of anything like that in the US. If you
>>were in the US, I'd suggest you write the bmwcca magazine a letter asking
>>how many other people had seen these issues. The BMW Car Club of the UK
>>is similar, though.
>>

>I'll see what BMW say and do first, get it checked and take it from there.
>Will let you know what happens.

It went in for a BMW Kinematics Diagnosis System (KDS) and they too found
camber and toe seriously out on the rear, toe out on the front but the
camber on both front wheels within tolerance, the tyre shop said only the
right camber was correct. The BMW garage have adjusted it all and now
everything is within BMW tolerance (@ £290.53). No-one seems to know what
has caused the problem and I am assured it isn't a common problem with
F10/F11 5 Series cars, my own checks have also sown that. I will get it
checked again when I get the next set of tyres just in case it's our
terrible roads causing damage, although if it was it would be a common
problem.
It's only money! :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old July 8th 13, 08:01 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

Bob Hobden > wrote:
>It went in for a BMW Kinematics Diagnosis System (KDS) and they too found
>camber and toe seriously out on the rear, toe out on the front but the
>camber on both front wheels within tolerance, the tyre shop said only the
>right camber was correct. The BMW garage have adjusted it all and now
>everything is within BMW tolerance (@ £290.53). No-one seems to know what
>has caused the problem and I am assured it isn't a common problem with
>F10/F11 5 Series cars, my own checks have also sown that. I will get it
>checked again when I get the next set of tyres just in case it's our
>terrible roads causing damage, although if it was it would be a common
>problem.

So, did they just adjust things, or did they replace things? And if so,
what did they replace?

And how does it drive now, compared with beforehand?
--scott

Old July 8th 13, 11:03 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bob Hobden[_2_]

"Scott Dorsey" wrote

>Bob Hobden > wrote:
>>It went in for a BMW Kinematics Diagnosis System (KDS) and they too found
>>camber and toe seriously out on the rear, toe out on the front but the
>>camber on both front wheels within tolerance, the tyre shop said only the
>>right camber was correct. The BMW garage have adjusted it all and now
>>everything is within BMW tolerance (@ £290.53). No-one seems to know what
>>has caused the problem and I am assured it isn't a common problem with
>>F10/F11 5 Series cars, my own checks have also sown that. I will get it
>>checked again when I get the next set of tyres just in case it's our
>>terrible roads causing damage, although if it was it would be a common
>>problem.

>So, did they just adjust things, or did they replace things? And if so,
>what did they replace?
>
>And how does it drive now, compared with beforehand?

According to the invoice they just did adjustments, there are no parts
mentioned. However on checking the figures for the two tests, which appear
to be on the same type of machine, the tyre shop are using slightly
different figures for this model to that used in the BMW test. Not that it
makes that much difference to the fact almost everything was outside
tolerance.

The difference is noticeable, rather like changing from Bridgestone tyres to
Michelin Pilot Sport 3 ones on a non runflat car, a more planted, stuck to
the road feel. Especially at the back.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old July 9th 13, 02:50 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

Bob Hobden > wrote:

>According to the invoice they just did adjustments, there are no parts
>mentioned. However on checking the figures for the two tests, which appear
>to be on the same type of machine, the tyre shop are using slightly
>different figures for this model to that used in the BMW test. Not that it
>makes that much difference to the fact almost everything was outside
>tolerance.

Nobody ever gets quite the same numbers, which is part of why the skill of
the operator is so important.

I'm surprised there was anything to be adjusted if the numbers were that far
out of range.

>The difference is noticeable, rather like changing from Bridgestone tyres to
>Michelin Pilot Sport 3 ones on a non runflat car, a more planted, stuck to
>the road feel. Especially at the back.

THIS is what tells you that there really was a problem. Until you could say
this, you didn't really know if you had a measurement issue or a vehicle
issue, and now you know for sure it was really a vehicle issue.
--scott

Old July 11th 13, 03:29 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"Bob Hobden" > wrote in message
> "Bob" wrote ...

>>>I don't know, I haven't heard of anything like that in the US. If you
>>>were in the US, I'd suggest you write the bmwcca magazine a letter asking
>>>how many other people had seen these issues. The BMW Car Club of the UK
>>>is similar, though.
>>>

>>I'll see what BMW say and do first, get it checked and take it from there.
>>Will let you know what happens.
>>

> It went in for a BMW Kinematics Diagnosis System (KDS) and they too found
> camber and toe seriously out on the rear, toe out on the front but the
> camber on both front wheels within tolerance, the tyre shop said only the
> right camber was correct. The BMW garage have adjusted it all and now
> everything is within BMW tolerance (@ £290.53). No-one seems to know what
> has caused the problem and I am assured it isn't a common problem with
> F10/F11 5 Series cars

Dropped from height onto the wharf when unloading
OR
you drove over a hump back bridge too fast...

> , my own checks have also sown that. I will get it checked again when I
> get the next set of tyres just in case it's our terrible roads causing
> damage, although if it was it would be a common problem.
> It's only money! :-)
> --
> Regards. Bob Hobden.
> Posted to this Newsgroup from the W of London, UK

MT/R - uneven wear Nathan W. Collier[_4_] Jeep 3 March 21st 08 03:03 PM
'00 GJC uneven break wear DorkyGrin Jeep 17 January 9th 07 03:39 AM
uneven tire wear Tonyrama Mazda 3 October 7th 06 03:22 PM
Uneven Rear tire Wear - 89 Dodge Caravan Dodge 1 August 22nd 06 07:36 PM
Audi A6 (2000) 17" wheels - uneven tire wear Anit Patel Audi 9 November 7th 04 07:19 PM