Timing Belt Question

Old April 3rd 10, 09:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
NukeDude

Default Timing Belt Question

I have a 2005 Vue FWD with the Honda V6 engine. Does anyone have any input
as to how far I can push the timing belt change? I have 61k on it but lost
my job and really don't want to spend the $$ right now if I can put it off
safely.

Thanks for any input..
JohnS in Sandy Eggo, CA
Old April 3rd 10, 09:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

Sorry to hear about the job situation. If it's any consolation, the economy
seems to be recovering. My company in suburban NYC, had us on partial layoff
and austerity budget for about a year. We just got in some major orders and
we called everybody back in and put staff back to 40 hours.

Check your owner's manual. It should have the service interval for the
timing belt. If you can't find it, check with your favorite garage (not
necessarily Saturn) for the service interval and recommendations. My '01
LW300 (6 cyl) was about 80K when the water pump went. Service interval on
timing belt was 100K so I decided to have it changed at the same time. IIRC,
it cost somewhere about $500 for the pump and belt. Whatever the total was,
it was less than Saturn's price and the job was done well.

You should check if your engine is an 'interference type'. That means, if
you loose the timing belt, you crunch a valve into a piston head... major
damage. If the engine is a non-interference type and the belt slips, it just
runs poorly or not at all but no damage is done (short term, at least). In
the latter case, you can put off the belt replacement and only at worst,
risk needing a tow to a shop if it goes.

Hope that helps,
Oppie

Old April 4th 10, 04:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

The Honda V6 timing belt in the VUE maintenance schedule is 100K.

--
marx404
<all gmail posts blocked>

Old April 4th 10, 06:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Stewart[_4_]

"NukeDude" > wrote in message
> I have a 2005 Vue FWD with the Honda V6 engine. Does anyone have
> any input
> as to how far I can push the timing belt change? I have 61k on it
> but lost
> my job and really don't want to spend the $$ right now if I can put
> it off
> safely.
>
> Thanks for any input..
> JohnS in Sandy Eggo, CA

Honda requirements for timing belt changes are 7 years, 105k miles. It
should be in your manual.....(I have a 2004 Accord v6)

Old April 4th 10, 06:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Stewart[_4_]

"Oppie" > wrote in message
> Sorry to hear about the job situation. If it's any consolation, the
> economy seems to be recovering. My company in suburban NYC, had us
> on partial layoff and austerity budget for about a year. We just got
> in some major orders and we called everybody back in and put staff
> back to 40 hours.
>
> Check your owner's manual. It should have the service interval for
> the timing belt. If you can't find it, check with your favorite
> garage (not necessarily Saturn) for the service interval and
> recommendations. My '01 LW300 (6 cyl) was about 80K when the water
> pump went. Service interval on timing belt was 100K so I decided to
> have it changed at the same time. IIRC, it cost somewhere about $500
> for the pump and belt. Whatever the total was, it was less than
> Saturn's price and the job was done well.
>
> You should check if your engine is an 'interference type'. That
> means, if you loose the timing belt, you crunch a valve into a
> piston head... major damage. If the engine is a non-interference
> type and the belt slips, it just runs poorly or not at all but no
> damage is done (short term, at least). In the latter case, you can
> put off the belt replacement and only at worst, risk needing a tow
> to a shop if it goes.
>
> Hope that helps,
> Oppie
>
> "NukeDude" > wrote in message
>> I have a 2005 Vue FWD with the Honda V6 engine. Does anyone have
>> any input
>> as to how far I can push the timing belt change? I have 61k on it
>> but lost
>> my job and really don't want to spend the $$ right now if I can put
>> it off
>> safely.
>>
>> Thanks for any input..
>> JohnS in Sandy Eggo, CA

It is an interference engine....7 years/105k miles for timing belt
change.