Penske Buyng Saturn

Old June 8th 09, 12:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

Default Penske Buyng Saturn

I did not see this posted here yet. On Friday June 5th, Saturn Officially
made the announcement that Penske Automotive Group will buy Saturn. Details
are being worked out and the finalization shall be in the late Summer. GM
has offered to continue to make all models with exception of the Astra and
expiring model SKY for the next 2 years. Neither Penske nor Saturn have
revealed who will be the manufacturer of the new cars, but it has been
reported that Penske wants to keep it American built if possible.

Here is Saturn's new News website:

http://www.saturncares.com

--
marx404
<all gmail posts blocked>

Old June 8th 09, 03:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_8_]

The way I read it in the newspapers, Penske was buying only the dealer
network. They intended to look outside for manufacturing and design.
Historically, buying only a distribution chain does not bode well for the
product lines that were being sold. Most often there is an ulterior motive.
Time will tell. Hopefully, I'll still be able to get parts and service for
the L series.
Oppie

Old June 8th 09, 03:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
David T. Johnson

marx404 wrote:
> I did not see this posted here yet. On Friday June 5th, Saturn Officially
> made the announcement that Penske Automotive Group will buy Saturn. Details
> are being worked out and the finalization shall be in the late Summer. GM
> has offered to continue to make all models with exception of the Astra and
> expiring model SKY for the next 2 years. Neither Penske nor Saturn have
> revealed who will be the manufacturer of the new cars, but it has been
> reported that Penske wants to keep it American built if possible.
>
> Here is Saturn's new News website:
>
> http://www.saturncares.com

Well, maybe the new Saturn Motor Car Company will fold up after a year
or maybe it will go on to thrive and prosper. Either way, it will be
infinitely better than remaining with GM. Recall a few years ago when
Harley-Davidson was owned by AMF Corporation and was dying. Now, the
independent Harley-Davidson is prospering, even in these very difficult
times for things like cars and motorcycles. Maybe an independent Saturn
will go on to prosper as well. There is no reason why there cannot be a
successful auto company in the United States.

--
Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
and Sea Monkey 1.5a
Old June 8th 09, 04:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
SMS

Oppie wrote:
> The way I read it in the newspapers, Penske was buying only the dealer
> network. They intended to look outside for manufacturing and design.
> Historically, buying only a distribution chain does not bode well for
> the product lines that were being sold. Most often there is an ulterior
> motive. Time will tell. Hopefully, I'll still be able to get parts and
> service for the L series.

We're moving to a model similar to the consumer electronics industry
where manufacturing is outsourced to factories that manufacture products
for multiple design and marketing companies, and these products are
often sold under multiple brand names. Design is often outsourced as
well, just hand the design house your MRD and they do the design for
you, obtain all the necessary government approvals, and deliver a
finished product.

Penske can also sell rebranded vehicles just like the U.S. auto
companies have sold Suzuki, Mitsubishi, Hyundai, Kia, Daewoo, Mazda, and
Isuzu vehicles as their own models. It may work if they can make a
success out of products that have been poorly marketed in the U.S., such
as Mitsubishi and Isuzu.