What now?

Old April 16th 09, 11:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_8_]

Default What now?

http://www.freep.com/article/2009041...904160420/1014
April 16, 2009
Success, struggle mark Saturn history

Strong lineup not enough to save it

BY BRENT SNAVELY
FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

General Motors Corp. started its Saturn project in the early 1980s as an
effort to develop small cars that could compete with Japanese brands.

From the beginning, Saturn was touted as "a different kind of company" and
broke new ground with its no-haggle pricing policies at dealerships.

But Saturn struggled with a limited model range and an inadequate commitment
to vehicle development. Recently, GM assembled what arguably is its best
lineup ever, but it was too late.

Saturn's sales declined 21.7% in 2008 compared with an industrywide decline
of 18%.

Here are highlights of Saturn's history:

June 15, 1982: Alex Mair, then vice president of what now is GM's advanced
engineering staff, discusses a new, innovative small car project with
several top engineers.

July 1982: Saturn is selected as the name for the project. The name was
inspired by the Saturn rocket, which carried Americans to the moon during
the space race with the USSR.

Jan. 7, 1985: Saturn Corp. is established as a wholly-owned subsidiary.

Jan. 29, 1989: Saturn announces franchise agreements with 26 dealers.

Oct. 25, 1990: First vehicles arrive.

Jan. 1994: Saturn reports a profit for the prior year.

June 1, 1995: Saturn's one-millionth vehicle is produced.

Aug. 15, 2002: J.D. Power and Associates rates Saturn No. 1 in its 2002
Sales Satisfaction Index Study.

Dec. 29, 2003: GM announces expansion plans for Saturn and says Saturn will
double its portfolio from three to six products by 2007.

Jan. 9, 2005: Saturn unveils the Sky, a small, rear-wheel drive roadster
that signals the new design direction.

January 2007: Saturn Aura midsize sedan is named North American Car of the
Year.

December 2008: GM says it will "explore alternatives for the brand."

Feb. 16: GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz tells trade publication Automotive News
he isn't sure why Saturn failed. "We spent a huge bundle of money in giving
Saturn an absolutely no-excuses product lineup, top to bottom," Lutz said.
"The sales just never materialized."

Feb. 17: GM announces it will phase out Saturn after 2011 unless dealers can
come up with a better alternative.

Wednesday: Black Oak Partners LLC says it has made an offer for Saturn's
distribution network.

Sources: GM, Free Press research
=====
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,6734026.story

Old April 20th 09, 08:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
SMS

Oppie wrote:

> Feb. 16: GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz tells trade publication Automotive
> News he isn't sure why Saturn failed. "We spent a huge bundle of money
> in giving Saturn an absolutely no-excuses product lineup, top to
> bottom," Lutz said. "The sales just never materialized."

Clueless executives, characterized by ones that make idiotic statements
like that statement by Bob Lutz, are probably one of the biggest reasons
for the failure.

Everyone knows why the sales didn't materialize.
Old June 8th 09, 12:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

Well, we know now, don't we?
Hiya Oppie! How have you been?

--