2002 SL very hard shifting 2/3 gears?

Old January 2nd 09, 12:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Leythos[_2_]

Default 2002 SL very hard shifting 2/3 gears?

Was looking at a used Saturn 2002 with 140K on it for one of my kids and
the thing really slammed into 3rd gear (automatic transmission) and less
hard into 2nd....

Driving was smooth when not shifting, no slipping could be detected
while accelerating....

Any ideas?

drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
(remove 999 for proper email address)
Old January 5th 09, 08:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Bob Shuman

If it slams into all gears, then check out the shift modulation solenoid.
If it is only one gear, then check that shift solenoid. The resistance of
the solenoids can be measured at the connector on the top of the
transmission access cover. If I recall correctly, they should all (there
are 5 of them, so there are 10 connections) measure between 4 and 8 ohms.
If they all measure correctly (one will usually be way different - open or
shorted for instance), then try draining and then replacing the trans fluid
and adding some trans additive and following directions on the can/bottle.
When done, Make sure that you drain the fluid again and also replace the
filter at that time too. Use the correct fluid which I believe should be
Dexron III. Good luck.

Bob

om...

Old January 18th 09, 05:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

I had this happen on my '02 SC2, it was the transmission control module.

--
marx404
<all gmail posts blocked>
"Bob Shuman" > wrote in message
news
> If it slams into all gears, then check out the shift modulation solenoid.
> If it is only one gear, then check that shift solenoid. The resistance of
> the solenoids can be measured at the connector on the top of the
> transmission access cover. If I recall correctly, they should all (there
> are 5 of them, so there are 10 connections) measure between 4 and 8 ohms.
> If they all measure correctly (one will usually be way different - open or
> shorted for instance), then try draining and then replacing the trans
> fluid and adding some trans additive and following directions on the
> can/bottle. When done, Make sure that you drain the fluid again and also
> replace the filter at that time too. Use the correct fluid which I
> believe should be Dexron III. Good luck.
>
> Bob
>

> "Leythos" > wrote in message
> om...
>> Was looking at a used Saturn 2002 with 140K on it for one of my kids and
>> the thing really slammed into 3rd gear (automatic transmission) and less
>> hard into 2nd....
>>
>> Driving was smooth when not shifting, no slipping could be detected
>> while accelerating....
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> --
>> - Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
>> - Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a
>> drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
>> (remove 999 for proper email address)

Problems shifting gears in 92 Jeep wrangler [email protected] Jeep 7 August 8th 07 12:27 AM
shifting gears on a 5 spd 80's Landcruiser Michael Gibson 4x4 6 May 3rd 07 12:59 AM
E46 - high pitched rattle when shifting into 1st or 2 gears [email protected] BMW 0 January 16th 06 08:34 PM
325i not shifting into gears SQ BMW 7 August 21st 05 04:21 PM
'87 BMW 325 not shifting into gears SQ Technology 4 August 21st 05 03:49 PM