2001 SL2 - low temp indicated and very little heat

Old December 17th 08, 05:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Jeff Bowyer

Default 2001 SL2 - low temp indicated and very little heat

I just got back from a vacation and my trusty 2001 SL2 has a new heating
problem. After starting it up and letting it idle maybe 5 minutes the temp
guage registers only a bit above "cold" . . . the first mark on the guage.
Usually it would be almost to the "normal" heat level . . . almost to the
1/4 mark. Also, very little heat is coming to the interior.

I figured I'd get a coolant flush done. They did a chemical clean and flush
to get rid of the sticky gunk that had shown up in the coolant resevoir.
All seemed fine when I let the new coolant circulate at idle. However,
after I left the shop, the temp started to go down again.

This is the first time since new that it's given me any problems with heat.
Is this a thermastat issue, or a CTS? Or, something else entirely???

Thanks.

Old December 18th 08, 12:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Bob Shuman

Sounds like the coolant level may be low or you have a trapped air bubble in
the system that needs to be bled out. after the system was flushed and
re-filled. The only other possibilities are that the temperature sender is
broken or the thermostat is stuck open. (You can check these by feeling for
the flow of coolant through the upper radiator hose and judging its
temperature.)

Bob

Old December 18th 08, 05:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
bo peep

On Dec 16, 9:25*pm, "Jeff Bowyer" > wrote:
> Is this a thermastat issue

Quite likely, especially in a 7 or 8 year old car like yours,
especially if it still has the original thermostat. Unfortunately, you
get to buy new coolant again too.
Old December 22nd 08, 04:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

You suggest that an air bubble may need to be bled out....How is that
done.? My SL2 1997 is having similar heating issues, I replaced the
thermostat and now the gauge comes up to half which should make more
heat but it doesn't. It seems to blow less from the vents as you
slide the temperature warmer>>> Can't seem to get it to warm up
enough inside.

Old December 22nd 08, 05:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Bob Shuman

Trapped air is best vented from the highest point in the cooling system.
I'm not as familiar with the 1997 SL series, but most vehicles with the
thermostat in the upper radiator hose have a small bleeder vale (looks like
a brake bleed valve) which can be used to vent the trapped air. You simply
run the engine to get the coolant up to temperature, open the valve slightly
and then close the valve when it starts to leak the coolant. If there is no
bleeder accessible, then you could most likely remove a clamp at the upper
radiator hose and make sure the hose is full of coolant.

Good luck.

Bob

Old December 29th 08, 07:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Jeff Bowyer

OK, a new thermostat seems to have taken care of it. Cost me a mickey of
Dominican Republic Rum and $60.00. Best deal in town!!

Cheers!

JB