alternative fuels - can you help with some input?

Old May 2nd 04, 10:32 AM
SS

Default alternative fuels - can you help with some input?

I've got to write a brief paper for a university assignment on alternative
fuels.
basic theme is compare the alternative fuels - plus points and minus then
make a reccomendation for which is best and then discuss how you, if you
were the governement, would go about getting people toi use it.
I've got the info on alt' fuels but now need some input on how to get people
off petrol and diesel onto it.
I'm looking for input on the following, or similar points..

1 How expensive would fuel (any) need to be for you to give up your car?
would you pay 5 - 6 -7 -8 -9 pounds per gallon if thats what it cost?

2 What would persuade you to give up your petrol/diesel car in favour of
another?
Tax breaks?
assistance with cost of conversion?
compenstion for scrapping old and buying new?
massive increase in cost of petrol and diesel Vs other fuel?
better provision of public transport
More congestion charges in other cities - like that in london?
Huge hike in cost of running company car?

3 How much would road tax need to be for you to give up your car?

4 What stops you from using alternate modes of transport now-
no public transport?
uncomfortable / crowded public transport?
cost of public transport?
any others..?

any input greatfully recieved....
======================================

[they'll have a hard job getting me out of my 147]

Old May 2nd 04, 08:46 PM
MacIglebek

I am sure that there are several research reports available relevant to the
topic of your assignment. In Norway we have Institute of Transport
Economics, you probably have similar organizations in the UK.
Try http://www.toi.no/?language=EN and the "Publications" section. Summaries
in English.

Another source from Google:
http://afdc3.nrel.gov/documents/altfuelnews/

Good luck!

On 5/2/04 11:32 AM, in article , "SS"

Old May 2nd 04, 10:54 PM
SS

thanks form the input.
but I'm actually seeking input from the 'individual'
I'd like to be able to state in my report that I sought the views of people
and that 'this was their concensus'

SS.

Old May 3rd 04, 03:06 PM
Alfistagj

"SS" > schreef in bericht

> 1 How expensive would fuel (any) need to be for you to give up your

car?

- I really don't care.
- Have a company car, all expenses paid and my (gasguzzling) Monti is a very
low mileage hobby car.

> 2 What would persuade you to give up your petrol/diesel car in favour

of
> another?

- Good public transport more or less door-to-door
- Really congested country roads
- Double of present company car tax (and I'll stop working then as well)

> 3 How much would road tax need to be for you to give up your car?

- See above; although I feel road tax should be a part of the gas price
being the only "honest" way to tax car USE

> 4 What stops you from using alternate modes of transport now-

- no "global" coverage

- unavailability of (more or less) door-to-door availability
- uncomfortable / crowded / not-on-time
- cost compared to car costs

--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

Old May 4th 04, 09:41 PM
shope

"Alfistagj" > wrote in message
> "SS" > schreef in bericht
> >
> > 1 How expensive would fuel (any) need to be for you to give up your

> car?
>
> - I really don't care.
> - Have a company car, all expenses paid and my (gasguzzling) Monti is a

very
> low mileage hobby car.
>
> > 2 What would persuade you to give up your petrol/diesel car in favour

> of
> > another?

> - Good public transport more or less door-to-door
> - Really congested country roads
> - Double of present company car tax (and I'll stop working then as well)
>
> > 3 How much would road tax need to be for you to give up your car?

> - See above; although I feel road tax should be a part of the gas price
> being the only "honest" way to tax car USE
>
> > 4 What stops you from using alternate modes of transport now-

> - no "global" coverage
>
> - unavailability of (more or less) door-to-door availability
> - uncomfortable / crowded / not-on-time
> - cost compared to car costs

And Dutch railways are cheap compared to the UK......and still more or less
run to time (or at least the ones i use)

--
Regards

Old May 4th 04, 09:57 PM
shope

"SS" > wrote in message
> I've got to write a brief paper for a university assignment on alternative
> fuels.
> basic theme is compare the alternative fuels - plus points and minus then
> make a reccomendation for which is best and then discuss how you, if you
> were the governement, would go about getting people toi use it.
> I've got the info on alt' fuels but now need some input on how to get

people
> off petrol and diesel onto it.
> I'm looking for input on the following, or similar points..
>
> 1 How expensive would fuel (any) need to be for you to give up your

car?
> would you pay 5 - 6 -7 -8 -9 pounds per gallon if thats what it cost?

Company car - needed for my job. It the taxes go up massively then we all
agitate for the fuel per mile rate to go up (doubt we would get it, but
still)

> 2 What would persuade you to give up your petrol/diesel car in favour

of
> another?
> Tax breaks?

So they give me back a bit of the tax they grab for road tax and fuel tax
already?

Since a car is going to last 12 years (maybe i keep it for 4 or 5) we need
stability on these issues before they compensate for the pain on resale
value.

> assistance with cost of conversion?

compared to loss of resale?

> compenstion for scrapping old and buying new?
> massive increase in cost of petrol and diesel Vs other fuel?
> better provision of public transport

these 2 always appear together in a politicians promise list - funny how tax
increases always happens but the improvements dont.

> More congestion charges in other cities - like that in london?

the issue there is that other cites dont have a comparable size "central
zone" with enough public transport to take up the slack.

Doesnt do much good to get rid of cars if you empty the cities in favour of
satellite industrial estates and retail parks

> Huge hike in cost of running company car?

like the last 10 years maybe?

how about a fuel that is relatively cheap, relatively low tax rates, doesnt
affect performance and is available everywhere?

> 3 How much would road tax need to be for you to give up your car?

not my problem - not my car (at least for now)

> 4 What stops you from using alternate modes of transport now-

i use the train a lot - maybe 400 - 600 miles / week. Slow, no easy local
links, no timetable co-ordination, unreliable, painfully crowded, crap
reservation systems that claim to give you a table seat and dont, poor car
parking at stations,

- did i mention unreliable? enough that an Alfa seems better!

> no public transport?
> uncomfortable / crowded public transport?
> cost of public transport?
> any others..?

trains dont go to the right places (basically stars out of London in the UK)