sun roof leaks only when I park on a hill---95 Park Ave

Old July 18th 08, 04:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Matt[_15_]

Default sun roof leaks only when I park on a hill---95 Park Ave

My driveway is inclined somewhat (13% grade to be more precise). After
a rain, when I park in the driveway front end first, I find water in the
trunk and under the back seat---maybe altogether a half a gallon or a
gallon after a one-inch rain.

When I park on the level street, I don't get any wetness or water in the
car.

Please advise.

1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra, Astroroof
Old July 18th 08, 05:42 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_4_]

Matt wrote:
> My driveway is inclined somewhat (13% grade to be more precise). After
> a rain, when I park in the driveway front end first, I find water in the
> trunk and under the back seat---maybe altogether a half a gallon or a
> gallon after a one-inch rain.
>
> When I park on the level street, I don't get any wetness or water in the
> car.
>
> Please advise.
>
> 1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra, Astroroof

Pull the headliner and check the drain tube. They tend to shrink and
sometimes break free.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Life is not like a box of chocolates
it's more like a jar of jalapenos-
what you do today could burn your ass tomorrow!
Old July 18th 08, 04:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

In article >,
Matt > wrote:
>My driveway is inclined somewhat (13% grade to be more precise). After
>a rain, when I park in the driveway front end first, I find water in the
>trunk and under the back seat---maybe altogether a half a gallon or a
>gallon after a one-inch rain.
>
>When I park on the level street, I don't get any wetness or water in the
>car.
>
>Please advise.
>
>1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra, Astroroof

Start feeling around. Is it coming in the trunk seal or someplace else?
If it's wet around the inside of the trunk seal, that would be an
indication.
--scott
Old July 18th 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Matt[_15_]

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> In article >,
> Matt > wrote:
>> My driveway is inclined somewhat (13% grade to be more precise). After
>> a rain, when I park in the driveway front end first, I find water in the
>> trunk and under the back seat---maybe altogether a half a gallon or a
>> gallon after a one-inch rain.
>>
>> When I park on the level street, I don't get any wetness or water in the
>> car.
>>
>> Please advise.
>>
>> 1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra, Astroroof

> Start feeling around. Is it coming in the trunk seal or someplace else?
> If it's wet around the inside of the trunk seal, that would be an
> indication.
> --scott

For awhile I thought it was leaking somewhere around the trunk opening.
Then I found water under the back seat and found that the upholstery
over the rear passenger-side pillar (apparently called the "sail") was
wet. I think that means it is coming through the sunroof.

Yesterday we had a good soaking rain during which I was parked on the
level street. Afterwards, as expected, the trunk was dry, and so was
the sail. I opened the sunroof and saw a couple ounces of water pooled
next to the sunroof's tracks. Also I noticed drains at each front
corner of the innards of the sunroof. It looked like the water hadn't
reached those front drains. If those front drains were plugged, that
wouldn't explain the leakage anyway, though, since it only leaked when
parked with the front end higher. I looked for drains in the rear
corners, but couldn't see back there, as the view is blocked by the
sunroof glass.

It seems that somehow the rear drains aren't much needed when the car is
parked level, but they are needed when the car is parked with the front
end higher.
Old July 18th 08, 06:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Matt[_15_]

Steve W. wrote:
> Matt wrote:
>> My driveway is inclined somewhat (13% grade to be more precise).
>> After a rain, when I park in the driveway front end first, I find
>> water in the trunk and under the back seat---maybe altogether a half a
>> gallon or a gallon after a one-inch rain.
>>
>> When I park on the level street, I don't get any wetness or water in
>> the car.
>>
>> Please advise.
>>
>> 1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra, Astroroof

> Pull the headliner and check the drain tube. They tend to shrink and
> sometimes break free.

I have been able to remove the right /sail/: the upholstery board that
covers the rear passenger-side pillar.

I found the rear drain tube, which is rattling and seemingly loose from
its nipple, so thanks, I think we have found the problem, but I can't
see the nipple or the end of the tube.

How much of the headliner do I have to free up to get at the end of the
drain tube? Will I have to take off the clothes-hangar/reading-light
assembly? There is a molding around the rim of the door, and it appears
that if I can remove that, I can pull down the rear part of the
headliner to get at the tube without removing the whole headliner.

Is there a chance of shoving the end of the tube back on by feel?

How should I proceed?
Old July 19th 08, 03:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_4_]

Matt wrote:
> Steve W. wrote:
>> Matt wrote:
>>> My driveway is inclined somewhat (13% grade to be more precise).
>>> After a rain, when I park in the driveway front end first, I find
>>> water in the trunk and under the back seat---maybe altogether a half
>>> a gallon or a gallon after a one-inch rain.
>>>
>>> When I park on the level street, I don't get any wetness or water in
>>> the car.
>>>
>>> Please advise.
>>>
>>> 1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra, Astroroof

>> Pull the headliner and check the drain tube. They tend to shrink and
>> sometimes break free.

> I have been able to remove the right /sail/: the upholstery board that
> covers the rear passenger-side pillar.
>
> I found the rear drain tube, which is rattling and seemingly loose from
> its nipple, so thanks, I think we have found the problem, but I can't
> see the nipple or the end of the tube.
>
> How much of the headliner do I have to free up to get at the end of the
> drain tube? Will I have to take off the clothes-hangar/reading-light
> assembly? There is a molding around the rim of the door, and it appears
> that if I can remove that, I can pull down the rear part of the
> headliner to get at the tube without removing the whole headliner.
>
> Is there a chance of shoving the end of the tube back on by feel?
>
> How should I proceed?

The drain tube connects to the frame of the sunroof itself. You should
be able to get to the connection by dropping just the rear corner and
sliding your hand up the line. Yes you will want to remove the light
(there will be a clip behind it) and the hanger. You want to remove them
and the trim to prevent damage to the headliner while you work on the drain.

As for putting it back on blind. Not unless your superman who can see
through the headliner or the roof.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Old July 20th 08, 05:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Matt[_15_]

Steve W. wrote:
> Matt wrote:
>> Steve W. wrote:

>>> Pull the headliner and check the drain tube. They tend to shrink and
>>> sometimes break free.

>> I have been able to remove the right /sail/: the upholstery board that
>> covers the rear passenger-side pillar.
>>
>> I found the rear drain tube, which is rattling and seemingly loose
>> from its nipple, so thanks, I think we have found the problem, but I
>> can't see the nipple or the end of the tube.
>>
>> How much of the headliner do I have to free up to get at the end of
>> the drain tube? Will I have to take off the
>> clothes-hangar/reading-light assembly? There is a molding around the
>> rim of the door, and it appears that if I can remove that, I can pull
>> down the rear part of the headliner to get at the tube without
>> removing the whole headliner.
>>
>> Is there a chance of shoving the end of the tube back on by feel?
>>
>> How should I proceed?

> The drain tube connects to the frame of the sunroof itself.

Thanks, Steve.

Maybe I should have said that I found the drain hose (rubber), but not
the drain tube (presumably steel).

> You should
> be able to get to the connection by dropping just the rear corner and
> sliding your hand up the line. Yes you will want to remove the light
> (there will be a clip behind it) and the hanger.

The trim around the door frame is flexible and is pulled away from the
door frame easily.

I have the lens off and the bulb removed. I don't see any "key" to
removing the light/hanger assembly through the light. I tried that
because to remove the front overhead console you remove its lenses to
get at some clips.

There are a couple half-inch by quarter-inch plastic covers on the
assembly. I guess they are covering some screws. It looks like they
need to be pried out with a small screwdriver so I can get to the
screws. Is that right? The covers don't seem to come out very easily.

Old July 20th 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_4_]

Matt wrote:
> Steve W. wrote:
>> Matt wrote:

>>> I have been able to remove the right /sail/: the upholstery board
>>> that covers the rear passenger-side pillar.
>>>
>>> I found the rear drain tube, which is rattling and seemingly loose
>>> from its nipple, so thanks, I think we have found the problem, but I
>>> can't see the nipple or the end of the tube.
>>>
>>> How much of the headliner do I have to free up to get at the end of
>>> the drain tube? Will I have to take off the
>>> clothes-hangar/reading-light assembly? There is a molding around the
>>> rim of the door, and it appears that if I can remove that, I can pull
>>> down the rear part of the headliner to get at the tube without
>>> removing the whole headliner.
>>>
>>> Is there a chance of shoving the end of the tube back on by feel?
>>>
>>> How should I proceed?

>> The drain tube connects to the frame of the sunroof itself.

> Thanks, Steve.
>
> Maybe I should have said that I found the drain hose (rubber), but not
> the drain tube (presumably steel).

Actually most of it is molded plastic. The plastic nipple connects to
the drain tube and as the temperatures change the tube pulls on it
enough to break them.
For an example of the same material and same result take a look at the
S-Blazers rear window washer line. They like to come apart inside the
upper trim above the hatch. Then you get to see washer fluid soak the
headliner and trim panels. They used nylon lines, plastic joiners and
connected it to the rubber line.

>> You should be able to get to the connection by dropping just the rear
>> corner and sliding your hand up the line. Yes you will want to remove
>> the light (there will be a clip behind it) and the hanger.

> The trim around the door frame is flexible and is pulled away from the
> door frame easily.
>
> I have the lens off and the bulb removed. I don't see any "key" to
> removing the light/hanger assembly through the light. I tried that
> because to remove the front overhead console you remove its lenses to
> get at some clips.

Most of the lights use a spring clip behind them to hold them to the
headliner. Others use push nuts to secure them.

> There are a couple half-inch by quarter-inch plastic covers on the
> assembly. I guess they are covering some screws. It looks like they
> need to be pried out with a small screwdriver so I can get to the
> screws. Is that right? The covers don't seem to come out very easily.

Yep. They have small tabs on them that hold them in place. You use a
THIN blade to push the tabs back so they come loose.

--
Steve W.
Old July 20th 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Matt[_15_]

Steve W. wrote:
> Matt wrote:
>> Steve W. wrote:

>>> The drain tube connects to the frame of the sunroof itself.

>> Thanks, Steve.
>>
>> Maybe I should have said that I found the drain hose (rubber), but not
>> the drain tube (presumably steel).

> Actually most of it is molded plastic. The plastic nipple connects to
> the drain tube and as the temperatures change the tube pulls on it
> enough to break them.
> For an example of the same material and same result take a look at the
> S-Blazers rear window washer line. They like to come apart inside the
> upper trim above the hatch. Then you get to see washer fluid soak the
> headliner and trim panels. They used nylon lines, plastic joiners and
> connected it to the rubber line.
>

>>> You should be able to get to the connection by dropping just the rear
>>> corner and sliding your hand up the line. Yes you will want to remove
>>> the light (there will be a clip behind it) and the hanger.

>> The trim around the door frame is flexible and is pulled away from the
>> door frame easily.
>>
>> I have the lens off and the bulb removed. I don't see any "key" to
>> removing the light/hanger assembly through the light. I tried that
>> because to remove the front overhead console you remove its lenses to
>> get at some clips.

> Most of the lights use a spring clip behind them to hold them to the
> headliner. Others use push nuts to secure them.
>

>> There are a couple half-inch by quarter-inch plastic covers on the
>> assembly. I guess they are covering some screws. It looks like they
>> need to be pried out with a small screwdriver so I can get to the
>> screws. Is that right? The covers don't seem to come out very easily.

> Yep. They have small tabs on them that hold them in place. You use a
> THIN blade to push the tabs back so they come loose.

What I thought were screw covers were actually some kind of plastic
wedges about an inch-and-a-quarter long and a half-inch wide and an
eighth-inch thick. There were not screws underneath them. I don't know
how to remove the light/hanger assembly, but I find I didn't need to.

I was able to reach rather easily between the roof and the headliner to
find the end of the hose and shove it with some force as far as it would
go (seemingly no more than 3/8") into the drain spout.

I am not confident that the drain lines will not come loose again.
Maybe it would be nice to find some way to glue them in.
Old July 20th 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_4_]

Matt wrote:

> What I thought were screw covers were actually some kind of plastic
> wedges about an inch-and-a-quarter long and a half-inch wide and an
> eighth-inch thick. There were not screws underneath them. I don't know
> how to remove the light/hanger assembly, but I find I didn't need to.
>
> I was able to reach rather easily between the roof and the headliner to
> find the end of the hose and shove it with some force as far as it would
> go (seemingly no more than 3/8") into the drain spout.
>
> I am not confident that the drain lines will not come loose again. Maybe
> it would be nice to find some way to glue them in.

Well you could put a couple drops of super glue in there. Just don't
make your next post "Help I glued my fingers to the drain tube!"

--
Steve W.