CODE to un-immobilise the car

Old July 19th 08, 10:00 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default CODE to un-immobilise the car

in my wisdom i decided to find out how to set the date and time on my
535i, that worked, good, what's this code thingy!!! had to find out,
pressed code and a couple of buttons, not sure what was going on so
turned off the key, huh! turned off the ignition, doesn't that set the
code to whatever it was you had just pressed. if so what the hell did
i press before turning it off. anyway, it now wants a code to start,
any ideas how this can be reset without having to put in the code in
the first place...like battery disconnect, does this work. any info
would be greatly appreciated,

thanks
Old July 19th 08, 03:25 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

> wrote in message
> in my wisdom i decided to find out how to set the date and time on my
> 535i, that worked, good, what's this code thingy!!! had to find out,
> pressed code and a couple of buttons, not sure what was going on so
> turned off the key, huh! turned off the ignition, doesn't that set the
> code to whatever it was you had just pressed. if so what the hell did
> i press before turning it off. anyway, it now wants a code to start,
> any ideas how this can be reset without having to put in the code in
> the first place...like battery disconnect, does this work. any info
> would be greatly appreciated,
>
> thanks

CODE, displayed on the radio face means the radio thinks it's in the middle
of being stolen. Well, it thinks it has been stolen and installed into
another car. The person that owns the car resumably has the Radio Manual,
and there is a credit card sized card in it with a 5 digit number.

You get three chances to input the correct code, then the radio refuses to
accept any new input. To clear the counter and get three more tries, turn
the ignition to ON but not START, and leave it for about an hour. While the
car is in this mode, look for the Radio Manual in the packet of manuals. The
radio manual is a separate manual from the Owner's Manual for the car.

If you locked the car with the key at some point in your adventures, then
reached in the window to open the door, then got in and tried to use the key
to start the car, you are being locked out of the START cycle by the
ignition bypass that is part of the Central Locking System. To recover from
this one, you have to use the key to unlock the door to turn the central
locking off.

Whatever the problem is, the CODE is only for the radio to prevent theft.
There is no direct link between this and the car's refusal to start.

Old July 20th 08, 04:22 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 06:35:30 -0400, CFL > wrote:

wrote:
>> in my wisdom i decided to find out how to set the date and time on my
>> 535i, that worked, good, what's this code thingy!!! had to find out,
>> pressed code and a couple of buttons, not sure what was going on so
>> turned off the key, huh! turned off the ignition, doesn't that set the
>> code to whatever it was you had just pressed. if so what the hell did
>> i press before turning it off. anyway, it now wants a code to start,
>> any ideas how this can be reset without having to put in the code in
>> the first place...like battery disconnect, does this work. any info
>> would be greatly appreciated,
>>
>> thanks

>With the word code flashing put in your 4 digit code you used to lock it
>and press the set button. It will now allow you to start the car.

Nice response but he said he didn't know what buttons he pressed so your answer
is correct but useless in this case unless you know the numbers he pressed and
in what order.

--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
Old July 20th 08, 05:54 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

wrote:
>>> in my wisdom i decided to find out how to set the date and time on my
>>> 535i, that worked, good, what's this code thingy!!! had to find out,
>>> pressed code and a couple of buttons, not sure what was going on so
>>> turned off the key, huh! turned off the ignition, doesn't that set the
>>> code to whatever it was you had just pressed. if so what the hell did
>>> i press before turning it off. anyway, it now wants a code to start,
>>> any ideas how this can be reset without having to put in the code in
>>> the first place...like battery disconnect, does this work. any info
>>> would be greatly appreciated,
>>>
>>> thanks

>>With the word code flashing put in your 4 digit code you used to lock it
>>and press the set button. It will now allow you to start the car.

> Nice response but he said he didn't know what buttons he pressed so your
> answer
> is correct but useless in this case unless you know the numbers he pressed
> and
> in what order.

I have completely forgotten about that feature. I thought of CODE on the
radio face, but he's playing with CODE in the On Board Computer.

Sorry for my confusion.

I'd like to suggest a test that a thief would not have time to do in order
to steal the car.

Turn the Ignition to ON but not START, and leave it for an hour to see if
the CODE resets.

My thinking is along the lines of the radio CODE that gives three attempts
then locks out. To get three more tries, the ignition has to be set ON for
about an hour. (I had my radio get hosed by my wife and daughter, and they
plugged in all kinds of key presses before telling me. I forget how long I
had to leave the key to ON before the attempt counter was reset so that I
could put in the right CODE, but the procedure did the trick.)

Since the CODE in the OBC is a User Setting, it makes sense that leaving the
key to ON for an hour would remove any user input and allow normal operation
to resume.

Old July 21st 08, 04:18 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

Jeff Strickland wrote:

>You are an idiot.

(..../) Irony meter pegged.

Old July 21st 08, 03:39 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

Jeff Strickland > wrote:

>Whatever the problem is, the CODE is only for the radio to prevent theft.
>There is no direct link between this and the car's refusal to start.

No, he has put the disabling code into the OBC. It has nothing to do
with the radio.
--scott

Old July 22nd 08, 03:03 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Michael Yeager

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 09:54:11 -0700, "Jeff Strickland"
> wrote:

>I'd like to suggest a test that a thief would not have time to do in order
>to steal the car.
>
>Turn the Ignition to ON but not START, and leave it for an hour to see if
>the CODE resets.
>
>My thinking is along the lines of the radio CODE that gives three attempts
>then locks out. To get three more tries, the ignition has to be set ON for
>about an hour. (I had my radio get hosed by my wife and daughter, and they
>plugged in all kinds of key presses before telling me. I forget how long I
>had to leave the key to ON before the attempt counter was reset so that I
>could put in the right CODE, but the procedure did the trick.)
>
>Since the CODE in the OBC is a User Setting, it makes sense that leaving the
>key to ON for an hour would remove any user input and allow normal operation
>to resume.

Disconnect the battery for 30 minutes or so (might only take a few
but what the hell). If the radio is the original BMW unit, you will
need the code for the radio or it will not work as has been discussed
here. The OBC code disable feature is kinda neat but it's use is
minimal. After you input the wrong code 3 times or try to start the
car 3 times, it will flash the lights and sound the horn for 30
seconds. Car WILL NOT start until you turn it off.

Need help code ERROR p0171 or code [51 in the haynes repair manual] pchotspot Dodge 2 September 30th 06 01:40 PM
Change dvd country code to code free??? Friedetzky Chrysler 3 September 25th 06 06:14 AM
OBD II code Ford Explorer 4 October 26th 05 01:15 AM
first dead battery, now no radio. code ? what code ? Scott Audi 12 January 25th 05 05:07 PM
**HELP** CODE 26 Transmission Code - Car Starts then Dies paul Saturn 3 July 18th 04 03:01 PM