Considering a used BMW 530i V6

Old July 5th 08, 11:13 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
IceMan

Default Considering a used BMW 530i V6

I'm researching the used BMW market for a 530i V6 and considering extended
warranty. Any model years I should consider and any known problems with this
series?

Appreciate your help

thanks

Old July 5th 08, 11:43 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
IceMan > wrote:
> I'm researching the used BMW market for a 530i V6

You'll have to search extremely hard. No such thing.

--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old July 6th 08, 12:00 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
IceMan

I'm located in USA where this model is made available,
http://www.carsdirect.com/used_cars/...47583/BMW/530I

Thanks

Old July 6th 08, 01:30 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Pete[_10_]

"IceMan" > wrote in message
> I'm located in USA where this model is made available,
> http://www.carsdirect.com/used_cars/...47583/BMW/530I
>
> Thanks

What Dave was trying to say is that this engine is not a V6. It's an I6
(in-line 6). There is a mistake in that ad as well.

Pete

Old July 6th 08, 01:39 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

"IceMan" > wrote
> I'm located in USA where this model is made available,
> http://www.carsdirect.com/used_cars/...47583/BMW/530I
>
> "Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote
>> You'll have to search extremely hard. No such thing.

Dave is commenting on the fact that no BMW ever made has ever
had a V6. The car is being sold by a dealer that doesn't know that
they are an I6 (Inline 6). I'd be wary of the dealer and sales staff.
I'd be wary of anything about them.

OTOE, the cars are excellent, the engine is bullet-proof, the
auto transmission is ok. Many complaints about the I-Drive
and Navy system. Many complaints about the styling; although
new Honda Accords look almost identical to the 5-year old
styling.

Main thing is to check the maintenance records. BMW's "free"
maintenance is "free" because it's very minimal and does not include
differential, brake, transmission and coolant changes in most circumstances.
It also includes oil changes only every 15K miles/1 Year.

FloydR

Old July 6th 08, 02:06 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
IceMan

Default Considering a used BMW 530i I6

Thank you, appreciate your help

acquisition...

Old July 6th 08, 09:06 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
IceMan > wrote:
> I'm located in USA where this model is made available,
> http://www.carsdirect.com/used_cars/...47583/BMW/530I

> Thanks

> "Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > IceMan > wrote:
> >> I'm researching the used BMW market for a 530i V6

> > You'll have to search extremely hard. No such thing.

No - the ad is wrong. It has a straight six engine. BMW's 'trademark'.

As regards aftermarket warranties my view is they are generally poor
value for money with a low pay out to income ratio. One report I read
reckoned on only 10% - which means you have a 10:1 chance of not even
breaking even on the deal. Of course all insurance is a gamble but I
prefer better odds than that. If you decide to go ahead read the
exclusions carefully. If you can find details, that is. Ignore the banner
headlines which tell you what they cover - you need to know what they
don't.
BMW offer a good warranty on their used cars but it is very expensive.
Cheaper ones won't cover as well.

--
*There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Old July 6th 08, 11:32 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 23:00:31 GMT, "IceMan" > wrote:

You may be in the USA and this accounts for you idiotic thinking that BMW would
actually make a small number of V6 engines especially for you.

WBANA73545CR57897 NA73 5 series E60 (body style) Saloon 530i M54 Engine - inline
6 dohc 3.0 ltr) USA L N 2004/12 (build date)

This is the BMW spec of the car you gave the link to - obviously the dealer is
also a fool.

Hugh

>I'm located in USA where this model is made available,
>http://www.carsdirect.com/used_cars/...47583/BMW/530I
>
>Thanks
>
>"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> IceMan > wrote:
>>> I'm researching the used BMW market for a 530i V6

>> You'll have to search extremely hard. No such thing.
>>
>> --
>> *Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance. *
>>
>> Dave Plowman London SW
>> To e-mail, change noise into sound.

--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
Old July 6th 08, 12:47 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Mike G[_3_]

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 23:00:31 GMT, "IceMan"
> > wrote:
>

> You may be in the USA and this accounts for you idiotic
> thinking that BMW would
> actually make a small number of V6 engines especially for you.
>
> WBANA73545CR57897 NA73 5 series E60 (body style) Saloon 530i
> M54 Engine - inline
> 6 dohc 3.0 ltr) USA L N 2004/12 (build date)
>
> This is the BMW spec of the car you gave the link to -
> obviously the dealer is
> also a fool.

More likely a simple mistake by whoever composed the details IMO.
The engine picture is obviously that of a straight six. I can't
see a dealer mistaking it for a V6.
Mike.

Old July 6th 08, 01:09 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
John Carrier

"IceMan" > wrote in message
> I'm located in USA where this model is made available,
> http://www.carsdirect.com/used_cars/...47583/BMW/530I
>
> Thanks
>
> "Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> IceMan > wrote:
>>> I'm researching the used BMW market for a 530i V6

>> You'll have to search extremely hard. No such thing.

Sources for "pre-owned" BMW's in order of preference:

CPO car from BMW dealer. The car has to pass a pretty thorough inspection
to qualify and it gets a six-year, 100,000 mile warranty (the six years is
from FIRST purchase date). Car's maintenance WILL be documented.

Car from reputable private party, preferably found through BMWCCA or
similar. Car's maintenance should be documented and it would be nice if it
exceeded BMW requirements. PS. If the "owner" suggests you meet at a
parking lot somewhere, run, don't walk away, from the deal.

Car from major luxury brand dealership (Lexus, etc). They get nice
trade-ins.

Everything and everyone else. (this one qualifies.) This is where some
really interesting machines (Salvage titles, flood damaged cars, etc) get
turned over. Maybe, maybe not, but you'll never know.

Does the car have maintenance records? It's coming due for Insp 1.

R / John

BMW E60 530i R. de Jong BMW 0 March 2nd 06 10:19 PM
530i Resonance Steve Cooper BMW 3 October 22nd 05 10:58 PM
US BMW Traffic Pro in 530i? Larus BMW 0 October 16th 05 04:56 PM
94 530i For Sale Conte Ng BMW 0 October 5th 05 03:07 AM
New M3 or 530i. S.A. BMW 6 September 5th 05 10:36 PM