BMW 540i 1995

Old July 3rd 07, 03:10 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default BMW 540i 1995

HELP!!!!! my girl friend had her battery replaced in her 540i. While
inputing the security code for the radio she accidently input a Start
blocking code instead(i am not sure how) now she cannot start the car,
(although she did get the radio code in) can anyone suggest a way she
can disable/reset the start-blocking feature without a trip to the
dealership. Would disconnecting the battery reset the OBC ?? Thanks in
advance. H

Old July 3rd 07, 09:57 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> HELP!!!!! my girl friend had her battery replaced in her 540i. While
> inputing the security code for the radio she accidently input a Start
> blocking code instead(i am not sure how) now she cannot start the car,
> (although she did get the radio code in) can anyone suggest a way she
> can disable/reset the start-blocking feature without a trip to the
> dealership. Would disconnecting the battery reset the OBC ?? Thanks in
> advance. H

On older cars disconnecting the battery from ten minutes to several hours
would clear the codes (and all other memory).

Not sure this works on newer cars.

I once managed to set a code to xCxx by accidentally pressing two buttons
together - disconnection was the only way to clear this.

Old July 3rd 07, 02:00 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
yaofeng

On Jul 2, 10:10 pm, wrote:
> HELP!!!!! my girl friend had her battery replaced in her 540i. While
> inputing the security code for the radio she accidently input a Start
> blocking code instead(i am not sure how) now she cannot start the car,
> (although she did get the radio code in) can anyone suggest a way she
> can disable/reset the start-blocking feature without a trip to the
> dealership. Would disconnecting the battery reset the OBC ?? Thanks in
> advance. H

You can block starting the car from the radio? I think these BMW
engineers are cuckoo if they design the car to have this feature. Are
you sure the battery post is firmly seated and tightened? Does the
starter turn?

Old July 3rd 07, 03:35 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"yaofeng" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jul 2, 10:10 pm, wrote:
>> HELP!!!!! my girl friend had her battery replaced in her 540i. While
>> inputing the security code for the radio she accidently input a Start
>> blocking code instead(i am not sure how) now she cannot start the car,
>> (although she did get the radio code in) can anyone suggest a way she
>> can disable/reset the start-blocking feature without a trip to the
>> dealership. Would disconnecting the battery reset the OBC ?? Thanks in
>> advance. H

> You can block starting the car from the radio? I think these BMW
> engineers are cuckoo if they design the car to have this feature. Are
> you sure the battery post is firmly seated and tightened? Does the
> starter turn?

Where it is all combined, you can set the code from the screen.

Old July 3rd 07, 03:52 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
yaofeng

On Jul 3, 10:35 am, "R. Mark Clayton" >
wrote:
> "yaofeng" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > On Jul 2, 10:10 pm, wrote:
> >> HELP!!!!! my girl friend had her battery replaced in her 540i. While
> >> inputing the security code for the radio she accidently input a Start
> >> blocking code instead(i am not sure how) now she cannot start the car,
> >> (although she did get the radio code in) can anyone suggest a way she
> >> can disable/reset the start-blocking feature without a trip to the
> >> dealership. Would disconnecting the battery reset the OBC ?? Thanks in
> >> advance. H

> > You can block starting the car from the radio? I think these BMW
> > engineers are cuckoo if they design the car to have this feature. Are
> > you sure the battery post is firmly seated and tightened? Does the
> > starter turn?

> Where it is all combined, you can set the code from the screen.

So what now I put in a non-bmw radio in my 540 not requiring code?
Does it make the car go crazy? Or it makes BMW hopping mad?

Old July 3rd 07, 04:21 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Fred W

yaofeng wrote:
> On Jul 2, 10:10 pm, wrote:
>
>>HELP!!!!! my girl friend had her battery replaced in her 540i. While
>>inputing the security code for the radio she accidently input a Start
>>blocking code instead(i am not sure how) now she cannot start the car,
>>(although she did get the radio code in) can anyone suggest a way she
>>can disable/reset the start-blocking feature without a trip to the
>>dealership. Would disconnecting the battery reset the OBC ?? Thanks in
>>advance. H

> You can block starting the car from the radio? I think these BMW
> engineers are cuckoo if they design the car to have this feature. Are
> you sure the battery post is firmly seated and tightened? Does the
> starter turn?

No, not from the radio, from the OBC.

Just have your girlfriend unlock the car from the OBC using the same
code she entered and then delete the code so it won't do it next time.

It's all covered in the FOM.

--
-Fred W
Old July 3rd 07, 05:02 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Jul 3, 9:00 am, yaofeng > wrote:
> On Jul 2, 10:10 pm, wrote:
>
> > HELP!!!!! my girl friend had her battery replaced in her 540i. While
> > inputing the security code for the radio she accidently input a Start
> > blocking code instead(i am not sure how) now she cannot start the car,
> > (although she did get the radio code in) can anyone suggest a way she
> > can disable/reset the start-blocking feature without a trip to the
> > dealership. Would disconnecting the battery reset the OBC ?? Thanks in
> > advance. H

> You can block starting the car from the radio? I think these BMW
> engineers are cuckoo if they design the car to have this feature. Are
> you sure the battery post is firmly seated and tightened? Does the
> starter turn?

No not from the radio. that is the mistake, she put the some part of
the radio code into the OBC instead of the radio itself and now cannot
remember what part she put in which activated the start-block feature
for the ignition. H

Old July 3rd 07, 08:49 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
drd

> It's all covered in the FOM.
>
> --
> -Fred W

FOM ? phuqing owners manual I presume ... v good ...

E39 540i Dan Buchan BMW 16 December 28th 06 03:02 PM
Low Beam Lights Intermitent 1995 540i nic BMW 1 July 17th 06 10:17 PM
1995 540i Sport for sale in Ann Arbor MI John White BMW 0 July 15th 05 04:15 PM
1995 540i, 113,000 miles, M60 engine. Good/bad??? skippy BMW 0 January 2nd 05 04:10 PM
FS: 1995 BMW 540i M-Sport John White BMW 2 November 19th 04 03:50 AM