WARNING- your Saturn closed and LATCHED door may fly open at 70mph !!!

Old April 18th 11, 07:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default WARNING- your Saturn closed and LATCHED door may fly open at 70mph !!!

Regarding our 2000 Saturn SW2 station Wagon. No doubt the same
defective, rusted out door handle coil spring applies to ALL model
Saturns.i

WARNING:- ANY OF YOUR SATURN CAR'S DOORS MAY FLY OPEN AT 70 MPH OR ANY
SPEED..

Saturn door springs wear out prematurely and break. This is NOT
visable.at all.. This causes the door to APPEAR TO BE LATCHED.
However, breakage of the handle return door spring in the door's
interior will result in the door being UNLATCHED and the door flying
open while driving down the highway and most certainly when you make a
turn. Any items next to the door , including your computer or a child
who THINKS his seat belt is secured or is "secured" in a defective
Saturn seat belt (don't rule that out) will also end up on the street
at ANY speed!.Luckily, there was no one in my rear seat and my
computer stayed on the seat when my left rear door flew open on a
right turn.

I sent this notice to Saturn Corp. They said that their DEFECTIVE
SAFETY DOOR LATCH SPRING (my terminology) is not covered under any
safety warranty and since my car's warranty has expired and a worn
safety latch spring breakage comes under "NORMAL WEAROUT"

I told them that

"The coil spring on my home's front screen door has lasted FOURTY
YEARS and if it broke-NO ONE WOULD DIE!! What's your coil spring door
latch failure excuse?!

Needless to say- they did not reply.

Saturn refuses to replace its defective door handle return spring at
its own expense- which is no doubt, quite minimal. Saturn can not even
afford to send out a one sentence warning notice in their regular
correspondence with owners.

a QUALITY door latch spring lasts forever in most cars.

The best thing you can do is a temporary fix i.e. Duct tape the handle
to the car's door
so the handle can not be pulled out-especially by little kids who are
unaware of the sitiuation They will have to use another door to enter
and exit.

Car parts have been known to start breaking after 11 years and death
and injury statistics start to mount. If my car is any example and
there are hundreds of thousands of those springs out there- we can
expect a big disaster in the making and begin very soon..

I have alerted NHTSA (safecar.com) about this.

Saturns "SAFETY OFFICE" email address is:

The National Highway Traffic Safety Agency which takes consumer
complaints, direct complaint email address is:

Mike Corman

Old April 18th 11, 07:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Apr 18, 2:19*pm, " >
wrote:
> Regarding our 2000 Saturn SW2 station Wagon. No doubt the same
> defective, rusted out door handle coil spring applies to ALL model
> Saturns.i
>
> WARNING:- ANY OF YOUR SATURN CAR'S DOORS MAY FLY OPEN AT 70 MPH OR ANY
> SPEED..
>
> Saturn door springs wear out prematurely and break. This is NOT
> visable.at all.. This causes the door to APPEAR TO BE LATCHED.
> However, breakage of the handle return door spring in the door's
> interior will result in the door being UNLATCHED and the door flying
> open while driving down the highway and most certainly when you make a
> turn. Any items next to the door , including your computer or a child
> who THINKS his seat belt is secured or is "secured" in a defective
> Saturn seat belt (don't rule that out) will also end up on the street
> at ANY speed!.Luckily, there was no one in my rear seat and my
> computer stayed on the seat when my left rear door flew open on a
> right turn.
>
> I sent this notice to Saturn Corp. They said that their DEFECTIVE
> SAFETY DOOR LATCH SPRING (my terminology) is not covered under any
> safety warranty and since my car's warranty has expired and a worn
> safety latch spring breakage comes under "NORMAL WEAROUT"
>
> I told them that
>
> "The coil spring on my home's front screen door has lasted FOURTY
> YEARS and if it broke-NO ONE WOULD DIE!! What's your coil spring door
> latch failure excuse?!
>
> Needless to say- they did not reply.
>
> Saturn refuses to replace its defective door handle return spring at
> its own expense- which is no doubt, quite minimal. Saturn can not even
> afford to send out a one sentence warning notice in their regular
> correspondence with owners.
>
> a QUALITY door latch spring lasts forever in most cars.
>
> The best thing you can do is a temporary fix i.e. Duct tape the handle
> to the car's door
> so the handle can not be pulled out-especially by little kids who are
> unaware of the sitiuation They will have to use another door to enter
> and exit.
>
> Car parts have been known to start breaking after 11 years and death
> and injury statistics start to mount. If my car is any example and
> there are hundreds of thousands of those springs out there- we can
> expect a big disaster in the making and begin very soon..
>
> I have alerted NHTSA (safecar.com) about this.
>
> Saturns "SAFETY OFFICE" email address is:
>

> The National Highway Traffic Safety Agency which takes consumer
> complaints, direct complaint email address is:
>

> Mike Corman

here's what Bandit2941 has to say:

It would seem as though the door handle return spring on the outside
door
handle of my 95 SC2 has broken. When I open the door, the handle
doesn't snap
back down like usual, it stays up and I have to push it down manually.
The door
latch works fine, I just have to push the handle down. I am guessing
its just
the spring which can be accessed by pulling the outer door skin. Any
confirmations/rejections? Can the spring be replaced by itself or does
it
require a new handle mechanism?

thanks
Jamie

Old April 19th 11, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

Default WARNING- What the...?

You trying to drive Saturn out of business or something? Oh, wait.... never
mind.
Danger is my middle name.

Old April 19th 11, 04:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Bert Hyman

In "Oppie" >
wrote:

> You trying to drive Saturn out of business or something? Oh, wait....
> never mind.
> Danger is my middle name.

You have to realize that he chooses to call himself "misterfact" as an
ironic joke.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old April 19th 11, 09:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

I also remember something about "don't feed after midnight and don't get
wet"...

. ..

Old April 29th 11, 06:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

Wow....mrfag returns to even troll the dead....LOL! ....wait a minute...that's
sad......hahahahahhaha

Old May 9th 11, 07:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Apr 19, 10:09*am, Bert Hyman > wrote:
> "Oppie" >
> wrote:
>
> > You trying to drive Saturn out of business or something? Oh, wait....
> > never mind.
> > * Danger is my middle name.

> You have to realize that he chooses to call himself "misterfact" as an
> ironic joke.
>
> > wrote in message
> ..
> > .

> --
> Bert Hyman * * *St. Paul, MN *

Bert-

You seem to live 24/7/365 on this Saturn message board, while I come
on here maybe once every 3 months posting a new epidemic Saturn
defect
that starts to show up on their cars.

Do you have stock in Saturn Corp.? Do you have stock in that Chinese
company that marketed all that poison dogfood a while back?

What's your big interest in defending defective Firestone tires,
handguns with no "safety" latches; pesticides in baby's milk; arsenic
in drinking water......?????

Your profile doesn't show that you have any expertise in any field
except in defining "trolls"

Mike Corman

Old May 9th 11, 07:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Bert Hyman

In

" > wrote:

> Do you have stock in Saturn Corp.?