Noise from suspension on 2001 CIVIC

Old July 31st 05, 10:29 PM
Henry

Default Noise from suspension on 2001 CIVIC

It happened on Saturday morning when I went out shopping. The sound is
pretty like the noise made by the door connector without lubricant - "GER...
GER...". I never heard it before in the car. I lift each corner close to the
wheels today by the tool for changing the wheels. I find out that it happens
when I lift the left-rear wheel on certain height.

Could anybody tell me what possibly cause the problem? My front shocks were
changed last year at 48,000km. Current mileage is 66,000km. Is it possible
that another shock leaks and runs out of oil? Can a joint of the suspension
without lubricant produce this kind of noise? Is it a severe problem?
Thanks!!

Another weird thing: I hear the noise coming from left front corner when I
driving the car. But it ends up with the left-rear suspension when I lift
the car.

Thanks again!

Henry

Old July 31st 05, 10:52 PM
Professor

Sounds like the typical noise a bad bushing makes... a groan/creak.

Professor
www.telstar-electronics.com

Old August 1st 05, 12:43 AM

Have you tried the Chevrolet Cobalt? It offers everything the Civic
has along with more power, more features and greater reliability based
on newer designs. It is thousands cheaper and costs much less to
insure.

Old August 4th 05, 04:00 AM
Henry

"Professor" > ????
oups.com...
> Sounds like the typical noise a bad bushing makes... a groan/creak.
>
> Professor
> www.telstar-electronics.com

Thank you for your help. I found an article which is a proof of your
opinion.

" Honda
Rear suspension noise. Some 2001-02 Civics and 2003 Civic Hybrids can give
off an annoying squeak from the rear of the car when driven at slow speeds
or over speed bumps. According to Honda, one likely cause of the noise is
deterioration in the lower front bushing of the rear suspension knuckle(s).
A revised, more durable bushing (Part No. 52365-S5A-502) is now available to
address the concern.

To determine if the updated bushing will do any good, try duplicating the
problem in the shop by bouncing the rear of the car up and down several
times. If the squeak becomes more noticeable, get the vehicle on a lift and
remove the wheels. Then head for the front attachment bracket of the right
rear knuckle and check the condition of the bushing. The rubber should be
flush with and covering the metal stop ring. If it is, look elsewhere for
the problem. If the rubber is bulging out or overhangs the ring, you've got
metal-to-metal contact between the ring and the attachment bracket, which is
responsible for the noise. Install the new bushing with confidence, then
repeat the diagnostic exercise on the left side of the car."

Later on, I found I made a mistake. Actually, it is the front suspesion that
is making niose. The niose does not happen continuously. It is not loud
either. I callled dealer to try to get some opinion. It turned out that they
only want me to leave the car to their mechanics.
I decided to wait some time until the noise is at least continuous. I doubt
that the mechanics can not find the problem under this circumstance. I hope
I am right.

Thanks again.

Henry

Old August 5th 05, 01:16 AM
Pars

I'm looking foward to a comparison's between the upcoming 2006 Civic Si and
Cobalt SS. If the new 06 Si is modeled after the RSX Type-S (with comparable
dynamic), it shouldn't be much of a comparisons. Even so, if GM is able to
maintain their price incentives, the SS should still be able to carve out a
market for itself (It's too bad GM's pricing wont give them any points on
the comparison test..since msrp should be similiar between the challengers).
And those two cars are going to be the ring leaders for their more mundane
siblings...So, it'll be an important comparisons test.

Pars

ups.com...