NY police: Driver in fatal van crash unlicensed

Old January 25th 11, 06:08 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

Default NY police: Driver in fatal van crash unlicensed

NY police: Driver in fatal van crash unlicensed

Associated Press | January 24, 2011 3:01 pm Updated: 4:09 pm.

A driver whose license had been suspended 25 times and revoked was at
the wheel of a church van that rolled over on the state Thruway last
year, killing six people, police said Monday.

Bernard Lattibeaudiere of the Bronx was charged with aggravated
unlicensed driving, a felony, and unlicensed driving, a traffic
infraction, state police said.

He was not charged with causing the crash, said Sgt. Kevin Flynn.
Police said the "predominant cause" of the Sept. 18 crash in Woodbury,
about 55 miles northwest of New York City, was a blown tire.

The 15-passenger van was carrying 14 people from the Joy Fellowship
Christian Assemblies in the Bronx to a church event near Schenectady.
When the tire burst, the van hurtled out of control and rolled over
into the grassy median. Several passengers were thrown from the van;
most had not been wearing seat belts.

The church's Bishop Simon White, his wife and four others died. Eight
people were injured.

Police said they found that Lattibeaudiere was driving with a revoked
New York license that had been suspended 25 times. Flynn said that
meant Lattibeaudiere had been issued at least 25 tickets.

He was arraigned in Town of Woodbury Court and released pending a Feb.
1 appearance, the police report said. A court clerk said a not-guilty
plea was entered. She said Lattibeaudiere does not have an attorney of
record.

Calls and an e-mail message to the church were not immediately
answered.

The 1997 Econoline van that crashed is a type of vehicle that some
consumer groups have been calling unsafe for nearly a decade. But Ford
Motor Co. said after the crash that government research showed the van
is safe "when properly maintained, driven safely by experienced
drivers and when occupants wear their safety belts."

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
http://billingsgazette.com/news/nati...e0fa8e5d5.html
-----

- gpsman
Old January 25th 11, 06:48 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.immigration,misc.legal,soc.culture.usa
Car Crashes Mean Car Sales - GM loves highway criminals

On Jan 25, 10:08*am, gpsman > wrote:
> NY police: Driver in fatal van crash unlicensed
>
> Associated Press | January 24, 2011 3:01 pm Updated: 4:09 pm.
>
> A driver whose license had been suspended 25 times and revoked was at
> the wheel of a church van that rolled over on the state Thruway last
> year, killing six people, police said Monday.
>
> Bernard Lattibeaudiere of the Bronx was charged with aggravated
> unlicensed driving, a felony, and unlicensed driving, a traffic
> infraction, state police said.

How can you charge someone with unlicensed driving and ALSO aggravated
unlicensed driving? I hate this guy but that seens unfair.
Old January 25th 11, 08:24 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.immigration,misc.legal,soc.culture.usa
Deadrat

On 1/25/11 11:48 AM, Car Crashes Mean Car Sales - GM loves highway
criminals wrote:
> On Jan 25, 10:08 am, > wrote:
>> NY police: Driver in fatal van crash unlicensed
>>
>> Associated Press | January 24, 2011 3:01 pm Updated: 4:09 pm.
>>
>> A driver whose license had been suspended 25 times and revoked was at
>> the wheel of a church van that rolled over on the state Thruway last
>> year, killing six people, police said Monday.
>>
>> Bernard Lattibeaudiere of the Bronx was charged with aggravated
>> unlicensed driving, a felony, and unlicensed driving, a traffic
>> infraction, state police said.
>>

> How can you charge someone with unlicensed driving and ALSO aggravated
> unlicensed driving? I hate this guy but that seens unfair.

They have the same name, but they're different offenses. As the article
says, one's a felony, and the other isn't even a crime.

Old January 26th 11, 03:25 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.immigration,misc.legal,soc.culture.usa

On Jan 25, 12:24*pm, deadrat > wrote:
> On 1/25/11 11:48 AM, Car Crashes Mean Car Sales - GM loves highway
>

> criminals wrote:
> > On Jan 25, 10:08 am, > *wrote:
> >> NY police: Driver in fatal van crash unlicensed

> >> Associated Press | January 24, 2011 3:01 pm Updated: 4:09 pm.

> >> A driver whose license had been suspended 25 times and revoked was at
> >> the wheel of a church van that rolled over on the state Thruway last
> >> year, killing six people, police said Monday.

> >> Bernard Lattibeaudiere of the Bronx was charged with aggravated
> >> unlicensed driving, a felony, and unlicensed driving, a traffic
> >> infraction, state police said.

> > How can you charge someone with unlicensed driving and ALSO aggravated
> > unlicensed driving? *I hate this guy but that seens unfair.

> They have the same name, but they're different offenses. *As the article
> says, one's a felony, and the other isn't even a crime.-

You idiot. It's done so the lawyers can make more money. This illegal
should be charged with either the felony version or the infraction
version but not both.