New Honda being delivered Wednesday

Old December 11th 10, 12:04 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
clams

Default New Honda being delivered Wednesday

"Cameo" > wrote in message
> "Seth" > wrote in message
>>> So how did you get rid off it? Trade-in?

>> Yes, trade. I know selling outright on the street is usually the better
>> way to go but I don't believe I would have done better by enough of a
>> margin to make it worth it.

> With known problem it's best to trade it in and let the dealer take care
> of any future problems with it.

That's assuming the dealer provides something for the trade vs.buying
outright, without a trade.

More realistically, dealers typically take older cars off their customer's
hands in lieu of a discount.

My son once attempted to trade a car where the dealer offered him an extra
$100 off the car without the trade.

Old December 11th 10, 12:18 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Lynn McGuire[_2_]

On 12/10/2010 1:06 PM, Tegger wrote:
> > wrote in
> :
>

>> Well I guess I'll possibly learn the hard way then.

> I think you're going to be just fine. Honda's still a good company, and
> their cars are still well-made. However, considerable compromises have been
> made to the interior and to other non-essential parts in order to allow the
> re-allocation of funds necessary for all the airbags and other government-
> mandated equipment. This results in a cheaper feel than what used to be.
>
> Me, I'm on the verge of finally replacing the '91 Integra, which now has
> over 356,000 miles and is going to need at least an engine/tranny rebuild
> in the next year or two. Unfortunately, Honda does not have what I need, so
> my next car will not be a Honda.
>
> Why can't Honda make a Civic wagon, on the order of the Mazda 3 Sport?
> /That/ I would buy. The Fit is too small for my needs.
>
> I'll likely be buying something by next Christmas, if not before. The wife
> and I have been discussing options, since we'd like something larger for
> travelling.

It's called an Odysssey. http://automobiles.honda.com/odyssey/
But I prefer my Ford Expedition for traveling as it is a true
land yacht.

Lynn
Old December 11th 10, 01:43 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth[_3_]

"Lynn McGuire" > wrote in message
> On 12/10/2010 1:06 PM, Tegger wrote:
>>
>> I'll likely be buying something by next Christmas, if not before. The
>> wife
>> and I have been discussing options, since we'd like something larger for
>> travelling.

> It's called an Odysssey. http://automobiles.honda.com/odyssey/
> But I prefer my Ford Expedition for traveling as it is a true
> land yacht.

2007 Odyssey is our other Honda. My wife picked that because of A) how
reliable my Accord had been the prior 6 years and B) of the 3 vehicles we
had narrowed our choices down to it was the only one that had leather and
would seat 8. The Sienna for example maxed out at 7 in leather. The R350
was only 6 seats.

Old December 11th 10, 03:02 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_3_]

Lynn McGuire > wrote in
:

> On 12/10/2010 1:06 PM, Tegger wrote:
>> > wrote in
>> :
>>

>>> Well I guess I'll possibly learn the hard way then.

>> I think you're going to be just fine. Honda's still a good company,
>> and their cars are still well-made. However, considerable compromises
>> have been made to the interior and to other non-essential parts in
>> order to allow the re-allocation of funds necessary for all the
>> airbags and other government- mandated equipment. This results in a
>> cheaper feel than what used to be.
>>
>> Me, I'm on the verge of finally replacing the '91 Integra, which now
>> has over 356,000 miles and is going to need at least an engine/tranny
>> rebuild in the next year or two. Unfortunately, Honda does not have
>> what I need, so my next car will not be a Honda.
>>
>> Why can't Honda make a Civic wagon, on the order of the Mazda 3
>> Sport? /That/ I would buy. The Fit is too small for my needs.
>>
>> I'll likely be buying something by next Christmas, if not before. The
>> wife and I have been discussing options, since we'd like something
>> larger for travelling.

> It's called an Odysssey. http://automobiles.honda.com/odyssey/
> But I prefer my Ford Expedition for traveling as it is a true
> land yacht.

Too costly; we're too cheap for that.

Plus neither of us like the "soccer mom" stigma that comes with minivans.

--
Tegger
Old December 11th 10, 03:45 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire[_4_]

Howard Lester wrote:
> I've only owned Hondas since 1982,
> and will be open to other brands when the time comes for a new one.

Ironically, I drive an '82 Civic automatic everyday...

JT

Old December 11th 10, 04:30 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Cameo

"clams" > wrote in message
>> With known problem it's best to trade it in and let the dealer take
>> care of any future problems with it.

> That's assuming the dealer provides something for the trade vs.buying
> outright, without a trade.
>
> More realistically, dealers typically take older cars off their
> customer's hands in lieu of a discount.
>
> My son once attempted to trade a car where the dealer offered him an
> extra $100 off the car without the trade.

That's true. If a car is in good working order, I would always try to
sell it myself and buy a new car without trading in the old one. There
is no way to know what an angry buyer of my old car could do when he
discovers I sold him a car with known hidden problem. So that's when I
would rather trade it in.

Old December 11th 10, 12:28 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle[_4_]

On Dec 10, 1:56*pm, "Howard Lester" >
wrote:
> "Lynn McGuire" * wrote
>
> > I have a data point to dispute that. *I bought my wife a 2005
> > Civic EX coupe with a five speed 6 years ago. *It now has 55K
> > miles on it and the only thing that I have had to do besides
> > change the oil is replace the tires and the battery.

> > Excellent car and highly recommended.

> Same opinion here, same replacements (plus rear brakes at about 30,000):
> 2004 Accord EX sedan i4 auto, 62K, very comfortable. Knock on Formica, it'll
> be repair-free for another 62K. I've only owned Hondas since 1982, and will
> be open to other brands when the time comes for a new one.

Similarly, I am very pleased with my 2003 Civic LX Coupe at 98k miles.
I did not think I would like the 1.7L engine, for fuel-economy
reasons. But it turns out I am getting 40+ mpg on average year-round
(overinflating tires to about 40 psi, with no signs of uneven wear
problems, knock on aluminum), and the extra horsepower is great on the
highway. I do not notice a reduction in fuel mileage when using air
conditioning. The engine does not struggle (slowing the car) to climb
the hills here the way my 91 and 93 Civics did. I either found it a
little easier to change the timing belt etc. on the 2003 than my older
Civics, or I just have enough experience that every TB change is
easier. The distributor-less design (so one ignition coil per
cylinder) seems to work well, though if memory serves, I think honda-
tech.com folks are starting to report a failure now and then of these
for the 01-05 generation of Civic.

One drawback is the sidewinder design of door locks. Getting parts to
rebuild it is difficult. The design is such that it fails much sooner
than the older design.

I just bought a pair of tires over the internet for the first time. As
second owner, the Civic came with two fairly new Pirelli tires in the
front in 2009. The back tires were Firestone and are way overdue for
replacement, from how worn they are (uniformly) and cracked.

I own a little stock in Honda and it is doing nicely, with a nice gain
since I bought it in 2006. Not that stock price means too much, unless
maybe one wants to compare to GM, Toyota and Ford.
Old December 11th 10, 04:15 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Howard Lester[_2_]

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote

> As for uncomfortable, just those damn headrests alone would keep me from
> buying a Honda today. No, Honda, you don't have to jam them forward so
> far you make my chin touch my chest. And I refuse to recline the
> seatback like a gangsta just to avoid all of that.

I wondered about that too-forward headrest, and for the first couple weeks I
was driving with the seatback in its full upright position. That's the
seatback position I've used in my previous Hondas. Anyway, with the Accord,
my back was hurting. Then I discovered that by reclining the seat just one
or two notches (not enough for a gangsta look), all seating problems were
solved. I love the seat's depth, as it nicely supports my thighs. My Civics'
seats were too short, so with the Accord I discovered luxury. I hope Honda
hasn't shortened the seats on the new ones.

Old December 11th 10, 07:14 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle[_4_]

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote:
> *Elle > wrote:
> > One drawback is the sidewinder design of door locks. Getting parts to
> > rebuild it is difficult. The design is such that it fails much sooner
> > than the older design.

> OK, so they ****ed up on something as simple as door locks.

"BMW and Mercedes started using laser cut, or sidewinder keys many
years ago. Now Honda, Acura, Toyota, Lexus, Infinity, and many more,
including Pontiac, are using this style of key."