2002 Civic LX Electrical Codes

Old August 21st 12, 02:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
KWW[_2_]

Default 2002 Civic LX Electrical Codes

Autozone read codes on our 2002 Civic with about 130,000 miles on it.
P1455 which could be gas cap (but replaced it a month ago)
or saturated evap canister
or failed vent selenoid
or failed purge selenoid
My next guess would be the evap canister though it doesn't
prematurely trip the fuel pump at the gas station on a fill up (which
Hyundais do when that happens)

Anybody have a most likely scenario?

Next one is potentially more of a worry: P1298 High Circuit Load
Could be a short or open circuit
or a failed ECM

On OTHER brand cars I've had burned out bulbs or bulbs with a
filament that broke and re-welded itself at a shorter length cause such
a code AND cause cruise control to not work, etc. (Cruise is fine on the
Civic having been burned out and replaced about 6 months ago.

My daughter has the car in the next town over... trying to save her
from having to go into a dealer and spend a lot more than she needs to.
I may be able to do the work for her.

Thanks!

Old August 21st 12, 01:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_3_]

KWW > wrote in
:

> Autozone read codes on our 2002 Civic with about 130,000 miles on it.
> P1455
> P1298

You need to double-check that P1455. Honda does not use that DTC. If it's
P1546 instead, that's one of the most common EVAP DTCs, and usually can be
ignored unless you live in a place that get significant environmental
moisture.

As for the P1298, TSB 05-006 deals with this by saying the the Electrical
Load Detector (ELD) is faulty and in need of replacement, which means
replacing the entire fuse box. There is no extended warranty on this
repair, so it's on your dime.

You may not want to go to the dealer, but that may be your best option,
since they will have the correct equipment to properly diagnose and solve
the P1298.

--
Tegger
Old August 21st 12, 01:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_3_]

Tegger > wrote in
:

> You may not want to go to the dealer, but that may be your best
> option, since they will have the correct equipment to properly
> diagnose and solve the P1298.

Be aware that certain alternator or alternator wiring problems can also set
a DTC P1298.

--
Tegger
Old August 21st 12, 02:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
KWW[_2_]

Thank you VERY much! The font was small and I misread the P1546
thinking it said P1545. You were spot on.

R.E. the P1298, I wonder if the alternator or ELD issue could have
played a part in burning out the cruise control last year. Well, fixing
it is cheaper than buying a new car and making payments! I am going to
check with friends to see where they get their Hondas fixed.

KWW

Old August 21st 12, 03:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_3_]

KWW > wrote in
:

> Thank you VERY much! The font was small and I misread the P1546
> thinking it said P1545. You were spot on.

P1456. Don't get the numbers mixed up again!!!

Honda does not use P1545 or P1546 either!

--
Tegger
Old August 21st 12, 03:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_3_]

Tegger > wrote in
:

> You need to double-check that P1455. Honda does not use that DTC. If
> it's P1546 instead,

Typo alert: I meant to type P1456, not P1546.

--
Tegger