99 Accord - PO171 code

Old July 16th 12, 06:35 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

Default 99 Accord - PO171 code

On 07/16/2012 06:40 PM, Dave Garrett wrote:
> Our 99 Accord V6 with 168K miles has recently started acting up. CEL
> lights up for a day or two, then turns off. Every time the code has been
> pulled/reset, it is showing a PO171 (fuel mixture too lean). This is
> accompanied by the engine feeling lower on power and not running as
> smoothly as usual. When it first started happening about a month ago,
> the power loss was much more pronounced - it would suddenly start
> stumbling and missing, accompanied by the car decelerating, then just
> when I thought it was going to die, it would recover. This would happen
> several times during the course of an average trip.
>
> Took it to the local independent shop that I've been using for years.
> They are very familiar with the car and have serviced it since we bought
> it (I have also had it serviced at the dealer as well, depending on the
> job). They had replaced the front O2 sensor a little over a year ago
> when the same symptoms had occurred and the same code was showing up,
> and we hadn't had any more problems until now. They could not duplicate
> the problem consistently, and said that PO171 was a code that did not
> have a single clear-cut cause. IIRC, they also said that this code was
> triggered when the fuel trim was above 1.19%; when they measured it was
> at .82%.
>
> Before starting to replace parts, they recommended trying a less costly
> approach first, starting with running bottles of one of the Techron-
> based injector cleaners through the next three full tanks of fuel and
> then reassessing. We did that, and although it seems to have slightly
> reduced the severity of the problem, it has not gone away.
>
> I've seen all of the following possibilities mentioned online as causing
> a PO171 code:
>
> - Front O2 sensor (as mentioned, already replaced a year ago)
> - Poor quality or E85 fuel (we had been occasionally filling up at Sam's
> Club, but quit doing so after they started selling E85 exclusively)

stop right there - e85 is 85% ethanol. hondas, currently anyway, only
go up to e10. stick to ordinary "regular" gasoline.

--
fact check required

Old July 17th 12, 03:28 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Erik[_7_]

In article >,
Dave Garrett > wrote:

> Our 99 Accord V6 with 168K miles has recently started acting up. CEL
> lights up for a day or two, then turns off. Every time the code has been
> pulled/reset, it is showing a PO171 (fuel mixture too lean). This is
> accompanied by the engine feeling lower on power and not running as
> smoothly as usual. When it first started happening about a month ago,
> the power loss was much more pronounced - it would suddenly start
> stumbling and missing, accompanied by the car decelerating, then just
> when I thought it was going to die, it would recover. This would happen
> several times during the course of an average trip.
>
> Took it to the local independent shop that I've been using for years.
> They are very familiar with the car and have serviced it since we bought
> it (I have also had it serviced at the dealer as well, depending on the
> job). They had replaced the front O2 sensor a little over a year ago
> when the same symptoms had occurred and the same code was showing up,
> and we hadn't had any more problems until now. They could not duplicate
> the problem consistently, and said that PO171 was a code that did not
> have a single clear-cut cause. IIRC, they also said that this code was
> triggered when the fuel trim was above 1.19%; when they measured it was
> at .82%.
>
> Before starting to replace parts, they recommended trying a less costly
> approach first, starting with running bottles of one of the Techron-
> based injector cleaners through the next three full tanks of fuel and
> then reassessing. We did that, and although it seems to have slightly
> reduced the severity of the problem, it has not gone away.
>
> I've seen all of the following possibilities mentioned online as causing
> a PO171 code:
>
> - Front O2 sensor (as mentioned, already replaced a year ago)
> - Poor quality or E85 fuel (we had been occasionally filling up at Sam's
> Club, but quit doing so after they started selling E85 exclusively)
> - Vacuum leak
> - Fuel filter (in the fuel tank and not intended to be replaced)
> - Fuel pressure regulator
> - Fuel injectors (expensive and probably unlikely - the shop said they
> could not recall the last time they had to replace OEM Honda injectors)
>
> Anyone else had any experience with this code? Any place else we should
> be looking for a cause? I'm inclined to have them go ahead and replace
> the fuel pressure regulator next as that seems to be mentioned fairly
> frequently as the next most likely suspect after the front O2 sensor.
>
> Also, does anyone still have access to the Honda TechInfo site? I found
> a URL to a tech bulletin that is supposed to cover the PO171 code but
> it's no longer accessible without an account:
>
> http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...9V5AA000AN.pdf
>

> Dave

Did you try Googling a bit? (Sorry about the long link, if you can't get
it to load, put "99 honda accord p0171" sans quotes in the search bar.):

<https://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=o...nt=psy-ab&q=99
+honda+accord+p0171&oq=99+Accord+p0171&gs_l=hp.1.0 .0i8.2322.9420.0.16107.
7.7.0.0.0.0.142.855.0j7.7.0...0.0...1c.TrZfBQEowtA &pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc
..r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=2cef944ee83829d3&biw=1093&b ih=518>

Also, check this E85 statement from Hondas's website:

http://automobiles.honda.com/informa...uestions.aspx?
Question=22

Erik
Old July 17th 12, 05:33 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Dave Garrett

In article >,
says...

> Did you try Googling a bit? (Sorry about the long link, if you can't

get
> it to load, put "99 honda accord p0171" sans quotes in the search bar.):
>
> <
https://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=o...nt=psy-ab&q=99
> +honda+accord+p0171&oq=99+Accord+p0171&gs_l=hp.1.0 .0i8.2322.9420.0.16107.
> 7.7.0.0.0.0.142.855.0j7.7.0...0.0...1c.TrZfBQEowtA &pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc
> .r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=2cef944ee83829d3&biw=1093&bi h=518>

Yes, but not that exact search string - tried several other variations
previously. I've seen a couple of the results from your link but there
were some others I hadn't seen before, and I was able to locate what
looks like the service bulletin I mentioned as well as a related Service
News issue:

http://honda-tech.com/attachment.php...7&d=1255234388

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Ho...152018_451.pdf

> Also, check this E85 statement from Hondas's website:
>
> http://automobiles.honda.com/informa...uestions.aspx?
> Question=22

See my previous post - had a brain fart and typed E85 when I meant E15.

Thanks.