ms ff wheel

Old November 15th 06, 07:45 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Dennis Croll

Default ms ff wheel

In my device manager the wheel is listed in the Human Interface area and it
is listed as a Microsoft Sidwinder Force Feedback Wheel USB. And it also
shows up under Other Devices as an Unknown device with no driver listed but
under the details the driver shows up in Device Instances ID with the same
description. Anyone know why no driver is listed and is it the same on
your system.

Old November 15th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

I will check on this to my PC (2 ofthem) tonight. see what all mine is
listed under, but I have dealt with this for other things too... What I
think I see has happened to ya is, Well, the instructions for installing the
Wheel originally when you unpacked it, was to install the software BEFORE
pluggin in the wheel, and actually half way thorugh the driver install you
were asked to plug in the wheel, If I Recall The Steps COrrectly. So just
like that obscure device or soundcard or something else (like a obscure usb
device, like I have a USB KEY that enables me to use some software here at
work, & that XP nor windows updates had a valid INF file for. So without
that INF, it shows up as Unknown. until I installed the software which
copied the INF and other files into places on XP, so that when I plug the
key in, it knows what to do with it and is no longer "unknown")

IIRC, from pc camera devices I played with over the years, and early on with
USB scanners and such, The "unknown" can interfere with the known, so I use
safe mode boot, to clear out unknowns (remove device)... I say try that,
reboot and see what happens? I still have a Creative POS webcam that was
bought before XP came out, it is genuinely a POS, but does what I want it to
do... In the beginning, it never ever did install correctly until I
reinstalled XP, it acted like this install of the wheel you describe.

Dennis Croll enlightened us with:

Old November 16th 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Uncle Fester

Dennis Croll wrote:
> In my device manager the wheel is listed in the Human Interface area and it
> is listed as a Microsoft Sidwinder Force Feedback Wheel USB. And it also
> shows up under Other Devices as an Unknown device with no driver listed but
> under the details the driver shows up in Device Instances ID with the same
> description. Anyone know why no driver is listed and is it the same on
> your system.

Hi Dennis

In my Device Manager, it shows up as 3 entries under Human Interface
Devices. Two as Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel (USB) & 1 as
Microsoft Sidewinder Virtual Keyboard. I have no entries for Other or
Unknown Devices. I have MSFF USB wheel w/ version 4.0 software, running
on WinXP Home patched to SP2. Software also installed fine on this
machine.

HTH

--

Fester

Old November 16th 06, 01:28 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mr. Sylvestre

Uncle Fester wrote:
> In my Device Manager, it shows up as 3 entries under Human Interface
> Devices. Two as Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel (USB) & 1 as
> Microsoft Sidewinder Virtual Keyboard. I have no entries for Other or
> Unknown Devices. I have MSFF USB wheel w/ version 4.0 software, running
> on WinXP Home patched to SP2. Software also installed fine on this
> machine.

FWIW, this is also what I see in my Device Manager. MSFF USB, version
4.0 software (I simply ignored the warning about compatibility) and XP
Pro now SP2 but probably plain vanilla (pre-SP1) at the time I installed
the wheel.

Regards,
Mr. S.
Old November 17th 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

Mine is the same as the 2 guys before me