2010 PT Cruiser - follow up

Old April 27th 13, 08:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve Stone[_4_]

Default 2010 PT Cruiser - follow up

2010 PT Cruiser, 25000 miles

The oil leak was a bad head gasket, repair under 5 year power train
warranty at no cost to me.
Wonder how long this repair will last?
I thought is was kind of unusual for a low miles car to blow a head gasket.
Repair receipt shows upper gasket set, antifreeze, and oil change.
Also shows a bad O2 sensor and check engine light, which I never had a
problem with.
Bet the tech damaged the O2 sensor tearing down the engine.
Not a problem for me, was covered under warranty.

Was also told the front lower control arm bushings were shot.
That repair was covered by extended warranty with $100 deductible, plus
$99 for alignment. Not too painful.

Receipt shows they replaced the entire control arm / lower ball joint
assemblies, claiming bushings alone not available. A quick look on eBay
shows plenty of lower control arm bushings available. Not a big deal for
me either way, guess the complete unit is only item available in the
dealer parts network or perhaps the extended warranty only covered the
complete item and not bushings only? Who knows?
Old April 28th 13, 01:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 15:20:12 -0400, Steve Stone >
wrote:

>2010 PT Cruiser, 25000 miles
>
>The oil leak was a bad head gasket, repair under 5 year power train
>warranty at no cost to me.
>Wonder how long this repair will last?
>I thought is was kind of unusual for a low miles car to blow a head gasket.
>Repair receipt shows upper gasket set, antifreeze, and oil change.
>Also shows a bad O2 sensor and check engine light, which I never had a
>problem with.
>Bet the tech damaged the O2 sensor tearing down the engine.
>Not a problem for me, was covered under warranty.
>
>Was also told the front lower control arm bushings were shot.
>That repair was covered by extended warranty with $100 deductible, plus
>$99 for alignment. Not too painful.
>
>Receipt shows they replaced the entire control arm / lower ball joint
>assemblies, claiming bushings alone not available. A quick look on eBay
>shows plenty of lower control arm bushings available. Not a big deal for
>me either way, guess the complete unit is only item available in the
>dealer parts network or perhaps the extended warranty only covered the
>complete item and not bushings only? Who knows?

Sorry you've had these issues. I've got a 2009 with 37K that's been as
good as Gold so far. The few minor issues were quickly repaired under
warranty. When you are paying labor it's often about the same cost to
buy the whole part instead of just the bushing, part cost more but
labor is less, sort of a wash. $99 for alignment seems high though.
Old April 28th 13, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
CopperTop[_20_]

Ditto, hate you're having such a problem. I have a 2001, one of the early
one built in 2000 and I wish every car I've ever owned was as trouble free
as this one's been. Other than scheduled maintenance items, the CO2 sensor
failed several years ago. That was it.It was a daily driver until 2009 now
it's an occasional car.
Old April 29th 13, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
BobMCT

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 21:16:25 -0500, CopperTop
> wrote:

>Ditto, hate you're having such a problem. I have a 2001, one of the early
>one built in 2000 and I wish every car I've ever owned was as trouble free
>as this one's been. Other than scheduled maintenance items, the CO2 sensor
>failed several years ago. That was it.It was a daily driver until 2009 now
>it's an occasional car.

Hi Coppertop. Glad to see there are other oldies like me. I ordered
my PT the very first day Chrysler allowed the dealers to order
(02/14/2000). Mine was silver LTD, 5sp. I was able to obtain the
order number from the dealer network which allowed me to login to
Chrysler's dealer site and track the production. I knew the day it
went on the assemply line and when it came off. I knew which truck it
was loaded on and when it reached El Paso, TX. Then it was
transferred to a CSX rail car (car # provided) which allowed real time
tracking all the way to upstate NY where it was loaded onto an Allied
Carrier truck. I called the dealer and arranged for delivery that
evening (07/25/2000>

Other than regular maintenance items, the ONLY two items that failed
were a cracked water extension on the head and a broken timing belt.

I now have 98K on it and finally am just ordering a new set of wheels
and a 3rd set of Sumitomo tires. Oh, and the day I took delivery I
installed a set of Borla SS duals, an Air Raid Cold Air kit and the
Mopar powered sub-woofer.

Just wanted to share.