Thoughts on Chrysler 200 ?

Old March 21st 13, 10:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
S.LaRocca

Default Thoughts on Chrysler 200 ?

The wife has been looking at mid size cars and I told her to take a look
at the 2013 Chrysler 200...It seems like a lot more car for the money
than the Chevy Malibu.

Any thoughts on the 200, good or bad ?

Thanks in advance.

--
Dr. Skeezix LaRocca, D.B. (Doctor Of Buffoonery)
Registered Linux Novice & Abuser #526706
Old March 21st 13, 11:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On 21 Mar 2013 21:36:50 GMT, "S.LaRocca" > wrote:

>The wife has been looking at mid size cars and I told her to take a look
>at the 2013 Chrysler 200...It seems like a lot more car for the money
>than the Chevy Malibu.
>
>Any thoughts on the 200, good or bad ?
>
>Thanks in advance.

Where does the new Chrysler Dart fit in the lineup?? I'd take a look
at it too.
Old March 22nd 13, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
James Rau[_2_]

On 21 Mar 2013 21:36:50 GMT, "S.LaRocca" > wrote:

>The wife has been looking at mid size cars and I told her to take a look
>at the 2013 Chrysler 200...It seems like a lot more car for the money
>than the Chevy Malibu.
>
>Any thoughts on the 200, good or bad ?
>
>Thanks in advance.

I've owned my 2012 Chrysler 200 for just over a year now and I really
like it (I have the two-door hardtop convertible coup). At the risk of
sounding like a shill, it handles well (provided you don't take the
corners too fast or too tight--the rear end tends to slide).

The car was made for both light crusing and city driving. It's
definitly NOT a sports car, so don't drive it like one. You (or your
wife) might find the suspension a little stiff. MPG is a concern, as
I only average 17mpg in the city (I do mostly city to city driving).

General fit and finish is good, and the maintenance seems to be low
(although that's to be expected with a new car). Seems solidly well
built and has a good "road feel" to it. The V6 Pentastar engine (I
opted for the 3.6L) delivers good power and torque. Just had the oil
changed at 3,500 miles.

Overall, I recommend it, but your mileage may vary.

James Rau
Old March 22nd 13, 01:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe Pfeiffer

Ashton Crusher > writes:

> On 21 Mar 2013 21:36:50 GMT, "S.LaRocca" > wrote:
>
>>The wife has been looking at mid size cars and I told her to take a look
>>at the 2013 Chrysler 200...It seems like a lot more car for the money
>>than the Chevy Malibu.
>>
>>Any thoughts on the 200, good or bad ?
>>
>>Thanks in advance.

> Where does the new Chrysler Dart fit in the lineup?? I'd take a look
> at it too.

Assuming you mean the vehicle being sold as the Dodge Dart in the US,
it's a compact (based on a modified FIAT platform), and a very nice
little car at that. There's a good chance Heather and I will be getting
one in the near future.
Old March 22nd 13, 09:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 18:53:37 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer
> wrote:

>Ashton Crusher > writes:
>
>> On 21 Mar 2013 21:36:50 GMT, "S.LaRocca" > wrote:
>>
>>>The wife has been looking at mid size cars and I told her to take a look
>>>at the 2013 Chrysler 200...It seems like a lot more car for the money
>>>than the Chevy Malibu.
>>>
>>>Any thoughts on the 200, good or bad ?
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance.

>> Where does the new Chrysler Dart fit in the lineup?? I'd take a look
>> at it too.

>Assuming you mean the vehicle being sold as the Dodge Dart in the US,
>it's a compact (based on a modified FIAT platform), and a very nice
>little car at that. There's a good chance Heather and I will be getting
>one in the near future.

Yes, that's the one. The auto mags generally like it a lot. Of
course, the sometimes like anything new a lot so buying first year is
always a little risky.
Old March 22nd 13, 02:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
S.LaRocca

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 16:35:34 -0700, James Rau wrote:

> On 21 Mar 2013 21:36:50 GMT, "S.LaRocca" > wrote:
>
>>The wife has been looking at mid size cars and I told her to take a look
>>at the 2013 Chrysler 200...It seems like a lot more car for the money
>>than the Chevy Malibu.
>>
>>Any thoughts on the 200, good or bad ?
>>
>>Thanks in advance.

> I've owned my 2012 Chrysler 200 for just over a year now and I really
> like it (I have the two-door hardtop convertible coup). At the risk of
> sounding like a shill, it handles well (provided you don't take the
> corners too fast or too tight--the rear end tends to slide).
>
> The car was made for both light crusing and city driving. It's
> definitly NOT a sports car, so don't drive it like one. You (or your
> wife) might find the suspension a little stiff. MPG is a concern, as I
> only average 17mpg in the city (I do mostly city to city driving).
>
> General fit and finish is good, and the maintenance seems to be low
> (although that's to be expected with a new car). Seems solidly well
> built and has a good "road feel" to it. The V6 Pentastar engine (I opted
> for the 3.6L) delivers good power and torque. Just had the oil changed
> at 3,500 miles.
>
> Overall, I recommend it, but your mileage may vary.
>
> James Rau

Thanks for your feedback...I've always been a Chevy guy, just because I'm
a GM retiree and supporting GM might throw a penny or two at me in my
pension check, but I've always wanted a Chrysler Minivan, and went ahead
and bought a 2013 Grand Caravan, and love it so far...I figured if GM was
not making what I needed, why should I buy something I did not want ?
Even when GM made minivans they were sub par.

I became interested in the Chrysler 200 because it really does seem like
a lot of car for the money.

I was always suspect of Chrysler's build quality, but it seems to me that
they have come a long way, and they do make very nice looking
vehicles...I imagine it would not be hard for me to become a Chrysler guy.

Tony

Old March 24th 13, 07:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On 22 Mar 2013 13:34:03 GMT, "S.LaRocca" > wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 16:35:34 -0700, James Rau wrote:
>
>> On 21 Mar 2013 21:36:50 GMT, "S.LaRocca" > wrote:
>>
>>>The wife has been looking at mid size cars and I told her to take a look
>>>at the 2013 Chrysler 200...It seems like a lot more car for the money
>>>than the Chevy Malibu.
>>>
>>>Any thoughts on the 200, good or bad ?
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance.

>> I've owned my 2012 Chrysler 200 for just over a year now and I really
>> like it (I have the two-door hardtop convertible coup). At the risk of
>> sounding like a shill, it handles well (provided you don't take the
>> corners too fast or too tight--the rear end tends to slide).
>>
>> The car was made for both light crusing and city driving. It's
>> definitly NOT a sports car, so don't drive it like one. You (or your
>> wife) might find the suspension a little stiff. MPG is a concern, as I
>> only average 17mpg in the city (I do mostly city to city driving).
>>
>> General fit and finish is good, and the maintenance seems to be low
>> (although that's to be expected with a new car). Seems solidly well
>> built and has a good "road feel" to it. The V6 Pentastar engine (I opted
>> for the 3.6L) delivers good power and torque. Just had the oil changed
>> at 3,500 miles.
>>
>> Overall, I recommend it, but your mileage may vary.
>>
>> James Rau

>Thanks for your feedback...I've always been a Chevy guy, just because I'm
>a GM retiree and supporting GM might throw a penny or two at me in my
>pension check, but I've always wanted a Chrysler Minivan, and went ahead
>and bought a 2013 Grand Caravan, and love it so far...I figured if GM was
>not making what I needed, why should I buy something I did not want ?
>Even when GM made minivans they were sub par.
>
>I became interested in the Chrysler 200 because it really does seem like
>a lot of car for the money.
>
>I was always suspect of Chrysler's build quality,

I was too but bought a 2009 PT as it was the most car for the least
money and satisfied all my criteria. It easily ranks (at 40K miles so
far) as good or better built than any other new car I've had. I also
had a 2005 Crown Vic, which I liked a lot, but truthfully the PT
actually is more comfortable and less tiring on a long trip. Only
real deficiency is lack of power.

Old March 25th 13, 02:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
James Rau[_2_]

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 11:14:32 -0700, Ashton Crusher >
wrote:

>>I was always suspect of Chrysler's build quality,

>I was too but bought a 2009 PT as it was the most car for the least
>money and satisfied all my criteria. It easily ranks (at 40K miles so
>far) as good or better built than any other new car I've had. I also
>had a 2005 Crown Vic, which I liked a lot, but truthfully the PT
>actually is more comfortable and less tiring on a long trip. Only
>real deficiency is lack of power.

I traded in my 2002 PT when I bought the 2012 200 and I can't begin to
tell you HOW MUCH I MISS that great little car! It only had 46K when I
traded it in. You're correct: Nice and comfy, even on long trips.

My only major complaint with the PT is the same as yours: Even with
the 3.0L 4-banger it was still very underpowered, and the 5-speed
stick did not help (still damn fun to drive though).

James Raui