Need for Speed mmo

Old March 18th 10, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
mike[_27_]

Default Need for Speed mmo

zoom zoom

http://www.mmorpg.com/newsRoom.cfm/r...m_medium/email

mls67

Old March 18th 10, 07:41 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
rcgldr[_2_]

The first beta test was in Asia (Taiwan). The second beta test,
this time in english, was March 5->8. The third beta test will
be March 19->22. The free roam area and the tracks are from
a combined NFS Most Wanted and Carbon. About 1/2 of the
map was unlocked in the second beta test, and I expect it to
be about the same for the third beta test.

The physics is simplified, with peformance just a bit slower than
Most Wanted or Carbon. One of the goals was to allow for keyboard
or gamepad play, although normal controllers such as joysticks
or wheels will also work.

The main MMO part of the game is leveling up to unlock cars, and
also accumulating shots of nitrous that get consumed when used,
as opposed to previous NFS games where the amount of nitrous was
reset each race. There's a forced delay between usage of the
nitrous, similar to NFS games where nitrous accumulated during
a race, so the main difference with the MMO aspect is having to
do single player races to earn shots of nitrous, then spending
them during multi-player races.

There are a lot of videos at youtube already. The next round of
videos should be better since players will know what to expect.

Old March 18th 10, 09:35 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David G Fisher's Left Testicle

"rcgldr" > wrote in message

> The physics is simplified, with peformance just a bit slower than
> Most Wanted or Carbon. One of the goals was to allow for keyboard
> or gamepad play, although normal controllers such as joysticks
> or wheels will also work.

Well, that sucks! Physics dummed down because of whining keyboard and
gamepad users!

Old March 18th 10, 01:42 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
rcgldr[_2_]

>> The physics is simplified, with peformance just a bit slower than
>> Most Wanted or Carbon. One of the goals was to allow for keyboard
>> or gamepad play, although normal controllers such as joysticks
>> or wheels will also work.

> Well, that sucks! Physics dummed down because of whining keyboard and gamepad users!

I think all they do is smooth out digital inputs over time via some type
of filter. There aren't enough cars in the beta test to judge the physics,
as each car was given a different feel in the older NFS games that Wolrd
is based on.

For players that played Most Wanted and Carbon, the feel (responsiveness,
oversteer), of the cars in NFS World bets test are within the range of
the cars in the previous games.

The pursuits were fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YtYQGA2IY8&fmt=22

Old March 18th 10, 03:04 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Remco Moedt

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 05:42:27 -0700, "rcgldr" > wrote:

>>> The physics is simplified, with peformance just a bit slower than
>>> Most Wanted or Carbon. One of the goals was to allow for keyboard
>>> or gamepad play, although normal controllers such as joysticks
>>> or wheels will also work.

>> Well, that sucks! Physics dummed down because of whining keyboard and gamepad users!

>I think all they do is smooth out digital inputs over time via some type
>of filter. There aren't enough cars in the beta test to judge the physics,
>as each car was given a different feel in the older NFS games that Wolrd
>is based on.

You are on a racetrack, what do you want to do?

>Go fast

You're approaching a lefthand turn, what do you want to do?

>Go left

<Time skip>

Congratulations, you've won the race!

Sounds like a swell game!

Cheers!

Remco

Old March 19th 10, 02:49 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
APLer

"rcgldr" > wrote in
:

> The first beta test was in Asia (Taiwan). The second beta test,
> this time in english, was March 5->8. The third beta test will
> be March 19->22. The free roam area and the tracks are from
> a combined NFS Most Wanted and Carbon. About 1/2 of the
> map was unlocked in the second beta test, and I expect it to
> be about the same for the third beta test.
>
> The physics is simplified, with peformance just a bit slower than
> Most Wanted or Carbon. One of the goals was to allow for keyboard
> or gamepad play, although normal controllers such as joysticks
> or wheels will also work.

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. There's no way that a 90 WPM
typist can beat a 10+ Mb/s USB cable. 90 WPM= 60x5x8 b/s=2400 b/s or the
same as a 2400 Baud modem. Unless the wheel is only checked once every
8/2400 seconds or 0.0033... (1/300th), they won't compare. This would apply
for getting *one* byte of information only - whereas 3 or 4 would be about
right. One for each axis and one every 8 buttons.

> The main MMO part of the game is leveling up to unlock cars, and
> also accumulating shots of nitrous that get consumed when used,
> as opposed to previous NFS games where the amount of nitrous was
> reset each race. There's a forced delay between usage of the
> nitrous, similar to NFS games where nitrous accumulated during
> a race, so the main difference with the MMO aspect is having to
> do single player races to earn shots of nitrous, then spending
> them during multi-player races.

So even NFS has a version of KERS to dumb it down. <g>

Old March 19th 10, 06:11 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
rcgldr[_2_]

> You are on a racetrack, what do you want to do?
> Go fast

> You're approaching a lefthand turn, what do you want to do?
> Go left

> Congratulations, you've won the race!
> Sounds like a swell game!

Sounds like every racing game ever made. What was your point?

Old March 19th 10, 06:34 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
rcgldr[_2_]

>> The physics is simplified, with peformance just a bit slower than
>> Most Wanted or Carbon. One of the goals was to allow for keyboard
>> or gamepad play, although normal controllers such as joysticks
>> or wheels will also work.

> That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

I should have stated that digital control inputs are simplified, not
the physics.

The way this is done is to modulate control inputs based the frequency
and duration of button presses. Some games implement the equivalent of
a steering assist when a digital controller is used. Note that Live For
Speed, a sim-oriented racing game, still supports keyboard play although
a wheel and pedals are recommended. At one time, Live For Speed keyboard
players had an advantage because the game's steering assist was too
close to perfect.

For most games, this is a front end process. Digital control inputs are
filtered and "enhanced" via the equivalent of a steering assist, similar
to the one in Nascar Racing Season 2003, before being fed into the
physics engine, which is shared by both digital and analog control
inputs.

Old March 19th 10, 12:12 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Remco Moedt[_3_]

rcgldr wrote:
>> You are on a racetrack, what do you want to do?
>> Go fast

>> You're approaching a lefthand turn, what do you want to do?
>> Go left

>> Congratulations, you've won the race!
>> Sounds like a swell game!

> Sounds like every racing game ever made. What was your point?

It was a wink to text based adventures. My point is that
if you dumb down the physics too much you'll lose the essence
of racing.

I'm sure NfS MMO will be a great game, but I wonder if it will
be a good racegame.

Cheers!

Remco