Here is an example of why it is over for Detroit

Old November 26th 08, 05:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
billccm[_2_]

Default Here is an example of why it is over for Detroit

I was talking with a co-worker today about his car in the shop. He has
a 1996 Dodge Caravan with 275K miles. YES, I mean two hundred and
seventy five thousand miles.
He took the van into the shop for leaking valve covers and pan gasket.
Here is a transcript of our conversation:
ME: You know, that van probably has a book value of $75, and you are
spending $675 on fixing oil leaks.
HIM: YES, I know, but it has been a very reliable car, We have 275K
miles on it, and it has never given a problem until now.
ME: Surely you have had a transmission problem, water pump failure, or
alternator replacement?
HIM: NOPE! Nada! We got the van from my in-laws when it had 29K miles
on it, and at 100K miles I told my wife we should trade it in. She
insisted on putting 200K miles on it.
ME: OK, so you have 275K miles, isn’t it time to trade.
HIM: We decided to see if it will make 300K miles, then we will trade
it in for a Honda Odyssey.
ME: WAIT A MINUTE! You just said that a Dodge Caravan has 275K trouble
free miles for you; wouldn’t you consider another Caravan?
HIM: NOPE! Everything I have read says the Honda is the very best
minivan.
ME: Wouldn't you at least test drive a Caravan and see what kkind of
deal you could get?
HIM: NO! The Honda is the best minivan, and that is all I need to
know.

Old November 29th 08, 04:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
man of machines

i am doing head gaskets on a honda van now and it only has 80k on the
clock
have one sitting on the lot that has bad valves customer doesn't want to
pay for the parts real costly

Old December 3rd 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
David E. Powell

On Nov 25, 11:54*pm, billccm > wrote:
> I was talking with a co-worker today about his car in the shop. He has
> a 1996 Dodge Caravan with 275K miles. YES, I mean two hundred and
> seventy five thousand miles.
> He took the van into the shop for leaking valve covers and pan gasket.
> Here is a transcript of our conversation:
> ME: You know, that van probably has a book value of $75, and you are
> spending $675 on fixing oil leaks.
> HIM: YES, I know, but it has been a very reliable car, We have 275K
> miles on it, and it has never given a problem until now.
> ME: Surely you have had a transmission problem, water pump failure, or
> alternator replacement?
> HIM: NOPE! Nada! We got the van from my in-laws when it had 29K miles
> on it, and at 100K miles I told my wife we should trade it in. She
> insisted on putting 200K miles on it.
> ME: OK, so you have 275K miles, isn’t it time to trade.
> HIM: We decided to see if it will make 300K miles, then we will trade
> it in for a Honda Odyssey.
> ME: WAIT A MINUTE! You just said that a Dodge Caravan has 275K trouble
> free miles for you; wouldn’t you consider another Caravan?
> HIM: NOPE! Everything I have read says the Honda is the very best
> minivan.
> ME: Wouldn't you at least test drive a Caravan and see what kkind of
> deal you could get?
> HIM: NO! The Honda is the best minivan, and that is all I need to
> know.

What was the old saying... "Who are you gonna believe, me or your
lying eyes?"

Jeez...

At least test drive it and get the quote so you can use it on the
Honda guy and see what happens.. yikes.