Chrysler Suicide Watch 37: No Lease on Life

Old August 26th 08, 12:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Default Chrysler Suicide Watch 37: No Lease on Life

Gyzmologist wrote:
> Art wrote:
>>
>> My wife drives a Camry Hybrid and gets at least 35 mpg in city and
>> highway.... better than EPA figures.
>>

> I'm not impressed with the hybrids at all. I have a '94 Eclipse 2.0L
> turbo that is putting out 240HP and gets me an average of 33 MPG per
> tank. I'm an older guy so I tend to drive more reasonable, but I do like
> to punch it alot. The best I have gotten so far on one tank is 35.2 MPG.
> Pretty darm close to your Camry hybrid and it cost far less.
>
> Honda had a Civic CVCC DX in the late 70s that got nearly 50 MPG on the
> highway. So what happened? Are the car makers are milking us? Ever
> wonder why hybrids cannot be recharged using electric power, but only
> through the engine? Hmmm.

It's been suggested more than once that you could achieve what hybrids
claim to do if you just take their under-powered efficiency-optimized IC
engines, and eliminated all the weight and complexity of the batteries
and controls systems that you could at least match if not exceed the
fuel efficiency of the factory hybrid configuration. I think someone
posted that it's actually been tried and proven. But it wouldn't have
the same "feel-good" factor. If this is true, what a hoax.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old August 26th 08, 12:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
rob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSBykAngDpY
who killed the electric car

Old August 26th 08, 04:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe Pfeiffer

Bill Putney > writes:

> It's been suggested more than once that you could achieve what hybrids
> claim to do if you just take their under-powered efficiency-optimized
> IC engines, and eliminated all the weight and complexity of the
> batteries and controls systems that you could at least match if not
> exceed the fuel efficiency of the factory hybrid configuration. I
> think someone posted that it's actually been tried and proven. But it
> wouldn't have the same "feel-good" factor. If this is true, what a
> hoax.

Except that (in the case of the Toyota system) the complexity of the
hybrid system is at least partially offset by the incredible
simplification of the transmission. No torque convertor, and only one
planetary gearset gives you what amounts to a CVT (wow. I've come to
hate my daughter's so-reliable-you-can't-kill-it but
god-what-a-pain-to-work-on Toyota truck, but their hybrid scheme is
just kewl).

Also, you need to not just match the fuel efficiency of the
underpowered engine (not hard -- I'll bet if I put a Briggs&Stratton
in my Newport I'd get amazing gas mileage at the price of never
hitting 20mph without a hill), you need to match the acceleration of the
engine+motor at the same time, for a vehicle of the same weight and
aerodynamics.

Note, incidentally, that while the batteries and motors cost weight
(how much? anybody know? certainly nothing like the batteries in an
electric vehicle) the control systems don't.
Old August 27th 08, 04:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Dori A Schmetterling[_3_]

Old conspiracy-theory hype.

I won't exercise the arguments here, just ask the question: And from where
does the electricity come?

DAS

---
"rob" > wrote in message
.com...
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSBykAngDpY
> who killed the electric car

[...]

Old August 28th 08, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
miles

rob wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSBykAngDpY
> who killed the electric car

I've seen that story and wonder what the authors point really is? The
car was never intended to last any longer than it did. GM used it for
what it needed and thats that. Whats the problem?
Old August 28th 08, 03:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
rob

oh i agree. i just hear this movie being talked about locally. didn't even
know GM had anything like this in the 90s.

Old December 2nd 08, 07:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Some O

In article >,
Bill Putney > wrote:

> It's been suggested more than once that you could achieve what hybrids
> claim to do if you just take their under-powered efficiency-optimized IC
> engines, and eliminated all the weight and complexity of the batteries
> and controls systems that you could at least match if not exceed the
> fuel efficiency of the factory hybrid configuration. I think someone
> posted that it's actually been tried and proven. But it wouldn't have
> the same "feel-good" factor. If this is true, what a hoax.

Also if the engine stopped when the car was stopped.
Isn't the wimpy Malibu hybrid like that?
Old December 2nd 08, 07:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Some O

At the cost of those electric cars you can do almost anything.
Now GM thinks we'll pay $35+K for the Volt. Not the (lack of) value
that will save GM.
Those GM electric sporty cars were too powerful for urban use, now the
Volt is too large for an efficient commuter car.
Does it matter? Toyota and Honda have very efficient hybrids now and
all they need to do is add more or better batteries to go 40 miles on
electric only.