Oil Filter Stuck. Options Please?

Old December 2nd 08, 03:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bryan[_2_]

Default Oil Filter Stuck. Options Please?

Count Floyd wrote:
> Bill Putney wrote:
>
>> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>> >
>> > Just make sure your turning it the right direction. I had one on
>> > my Nissan years ago that wouldn't turn and I used the punch screwdriver
>> > through it method and it still wouldn't turn. Then I realized I was
>> > turning
>> > it backwards.
>> >
>> > Ted

>> Righty tighty lefty loosey, Ted.
>>
>> Yep - being upside down messes with the mind.
>>

> Except for the drivers side wheels on old Chryslers!

In the early 80s, I bought a '69 Barracuda 340-S convertible that had
frontend issues, with front tires that had the steel belts showing. I
swapped a pair of decent tires on '70 rallye wheels onto it. When I came
home from work the next day, I found the front of the car dangling on a
bumper jack with only the right front wheel & tire missing... and the lug
nuts for the left front were pi$$-tight.

Bryan
PS: My ragtop is NOT for sale.

Old December 2nd 08, 05:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe Pfeiffer

"Bryan" > writes:

> Count Floyd wrote:
>> Bill Putney wrote:

>>> Righty tighty lefty loosey, Ted.
>>>
>>> Yep - being upside down messes with the mind.
>>>

>> Except for the drivers side wheels on old Chryslers!

> In the early 80s, I bought a '69 Barracuda 340-S convertible that had
> frontend issues, with front tires that had the steel belts showing. I
> swapped a pair of decent tires on '70 rallye wheels onto it. When I came
> home from work the next day, I found the front of the car dangling on a
> bumper jack with only the right front wheel & tire missing... and the lug
> nuts for the left front were pi$$-tight.

Sometime in the late 1970s, I broke a breaker bar by putting a cheater
on it and jumping up and down. Yep, it was the left side....
Old December 2nd 08, 10:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
> "Bryan" > writes:
>
>> Count Floyd wrote:

>>> Except for the drivers side wheels on old Chryslers!

>> In the early 80s, I bought a '69 Barracuda 340-S convertible that had
>> frontend issues, with front tires that had the steel belts showing. I
>> swapped a pair of decent tires on '70 rallye wheels onto it. When I came
>> home from work the next day, I found the front of the car dangling on a
>> bumper jack with only the right front wheel & tire missing... and the lug
>> nuts for the left front were pi$$-tight.

> Sometime in the late 1970s, I broke a breaker bar by putting a cheater
> on it and jumping up and down. Yep, it was the left side....

Kind of a twist (literally) of that scenario: Many years ago, before I
had a sense of how much a given torque value was, I had an OHC Subaru
that I changed the timing belt on. The tensioning involved putting a
certain amount of torque on one of the cam sprockets - in the
*counter-clockwise* direction - and holding that tension while you
tightened the tensioner pulley bracket.

Well, I set the torque wrench to the correct value, and went to apply
the torque - increased the torque waiting for the click - it never came.
Applied more and more torque - no click. I applied so much torque,
it's a wonder that I didn't bend or break something or ruin the belt. I
couldn't figure out what was going on - felt like I was in the twilight
zone. Long story short - I had one of those cheap 1/2 torque wrenches -
the kind you still buy in the cheap tool stores today - it only clicks
in the CW direction - CCW: no clicky!

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old December 4th 08, 06:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Bill Putney" > wrote in message
> Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

I'll

and

place,

screwdriver

> >> In the early 80s, I bought a '69 Barracuda 340-S convertible that had
> >> frontend issues, with front tires that had the steel belts showing. I
> >> swapped a pair of decent tires on '70 rallye wheels onto it. When I

came
> >> home from work the next day, I found the front of the car dangling on a
> >> bumper jack with only the right front wheel & tire missing... and the

lug
> >> nuts for the left front were pi$$-tight.

> > Sometime in the late 1970s, I broke a breaker bar by putting a cheater
> > on it and jumping up and down. Yep, it was the left side....

> Kind of a twist (literally) of that scenario: Many years ago, before I
> had a sense of how much a given torque value was, I had an OHC Subaru
> that I changed the timing belt on. The tensioning involved putting a
> certain amount of torque on one of the cam sprockets - in the
> *counter-clockwise* direction - and holding that tension while you
> tightened the tensioner pulley bracket.
>
> Well, I set the torque wrench to the correct value, and went to apply
> the torque - increased the torque waiting for the click - it never came.
> Applied more and more torque - no click. I applied so much torque,
> it's a wonder that I didn't bend or break something or ruin the belt. I
> couldn't figure out what was going on - felt like I was in the twilight
> zone. Long story short - I had one of those cheap 1/2 torque wrenches -
> the kind you still buy in the cheap tool stores today - it only clicks
> in the CW direction - CCW: no clicky!

Yet another reason I'm glad that I've only bought beam-style
torque wrenches!

Ted