Maruader the most negative model name ever?

Old June 12th 09, 03:32 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Tom Adams

Default Maruader the most negative model name ever?

Marauder has no positive meanings that I can find.

Are there other model names like that, that are so negative?

Old June 12th 09, 09:34 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
LotzaLoot

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 07:32:04 -0700 (PDT), Tom Adams
> wrote:

>Marauder has no positive meanings that I can find.
>
>Are there other model names like that, that are so negative?

Gremlin
Old June 13th 09, 02:23 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ad absurdum per aspera[_2_]

> >Marauder has no positive meanings that I can find.

Manly-man image, though. Me bought big car with tough name -- me
Viking. Presumably you're the marauder rather than the maraudee.

> >Are there other model names like that, that are so negative?

> Gremlin

Charade? (Daihatsu's attempt to make some inroads in the US
subcompact market; supposedly a pretty decent car for what it was, but
what it was was ten years either too soon or too late, and I'm sure
the name didn't help. )

There's a story that Chevy didn't think of the Latin American market
when it named the Nova (which, if split apart and therefore pronounced
differently, would mean "doesn't go" in Spanish) but it's usually
considered an urban legend. After all, they made what, three or four
generations of it over a long period? The only Mexican I ever asked
about this story, an engine rebuilder who hailed from Jalisco, thought
it was pretty funny as gringo humor goes, but had never heard it; and
also said that "no va" isn't how they would say "my car doesn't work"
in colloquial Spanish anyway.

--Joe