C.V. joints, extend life by swapping driver to passenger side?

Old August 2nd 08, 12:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
andy everett

Default C.V. joints, extend life by swapping driver to passenger side?

I have rebuilt C.V. joints for my 80 vanagon and in the process I tired
to keep track of the individual joints, driver in, driver out, passenger
in passenger out. There was some pitting in the races, but only in one
direction of rotation. After assembly, keeping all parts in there old
places and orientations, I thought that by rotating each shaft by 180
degrees, inside is now out and out goes inside that I could use the
bearing surfaces that were not worn. A bit of thought and I realized
that doing so would make no difference. To change the surfaces which
wear I would have to switch drivers side shaft for the passenger side
and visa versa. This should extend the life of the shafts a little.

Any agreement? Thanks for your thoughts
Old August 2nd 08, 06:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"andy everett" > wrote in message

>. A bit of thought and I realized
> that doing so would make no difference. To change the surfaces which wear
> I would have to switch drivers side shaft for the passenger side and visa
> versa. This should extend the life of the shafts a little.
>

> Any agreement? Thanks for your thoughts

absolutely... swap side to side...

Old August 3rd 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Lyle Beaulac[_2_]

"Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message

> "andy everett" > wrote in message
>>

> >. A bit of thought and I realized
>> that doing so would make no difference. To change the surfaces which wear
>> I would have to switch drivers side shaft for the passenger side and visa
>> versa. This should extend the life of the shafts a little.
>>

>> Any agreement? Thanks for your thoughts

> absolutely... swap side to side...

Yup. 'less it's an automatic. I seem to recall that the left and right
shafts are of different lengths on a Vanagon auto. But I did the
side-to-side swap on my '81 stick (after going through the same logic path
that you did) and it hasn't blown up yet...

And it won't really extend the life of the shafts. They don't really wear
much. The CV joints, maybe...