Reasonable price to replace fuel filter on 2000 Chrysler Cirrus

Old August 13th 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default Reasonable price to replace fuel filter on 2000 Chrysler Cirrus

I recently had the fuel filter in my 2000 Cirrus changed by a local
Tunex shop. The cost was $136 with a NAPA / Wix filter.

I was surprised that the labor was 1.5 hours. A post by a Chrysler
tech on this NG, noted that it could be done in about 20 minutes if
the vehicle is on a hoist.

Are there any other shops that could do it for less, or is 1.5 hours
pretty much the going flat rate?

I was thinking of having Jiffy Lube do it, but decided against it
after the NBC affiliate in Los Angeles caught three different Jiffy
Lube shops not doing the work that had been paid for.

-KM

Old August 14th 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> I recently had the fuel filter in my 2000 Cirrus changed by a local
> Tunex shop. The cost was $136 with a NAPA / Wix filter.
>
> I was surprised that the labor was 1.5 hours. A post by a Chrysler
> tech on this NG, noted that it could be done in about 20 minutes if
> the vehicle is on a hoist.
>
> Are there any other shops that could do it for less, or is 1.5 hours
> pretty much the going flat rate?
>
> I was thinking of having Jiffy Lube do it, but decided against it
> after the NBC affiliate in Los Angeles caught three different Jiffy
> Lube shops not doing the work that had been paid for.
>
> -KM

The rear seat must come out and the fuel tank dropped to replace the fuel
filter for this vehicle. Having Jiffy lube do something like this is as bad
as purchasing a Haynes Manual to tell you how to do it yourself.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old August 14th 07, 01:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

maxpower wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ps.com...
>
>>I recently had the fuel filter in my 2000 Cirrus changed by a local
>>Tunex shop. The cost was $136 with a NAPA / Wix filter.
>>
>>I was surprised that the labor was 1.5 hours. A post by a Chrysler
>>tech on this NG, noted that it could be done in about 20 minutes if
>>the vehicle is on a hoist.
>>
>>Are there any other shops that could do it for less, or is 1.5 hours
>>pretty much the going flat rate?
>>
>>I was thinking of having Jiffy Lube do it, but decided against it
>>after the NBC affiliate in Los Angeles caught three different Jiffy
>>Lube shops not doing the work that had been paid for.
>>
>>-KM
>>

> The rear seat must come out and the fuel tank dropped to replace the fuel
> filter for this vehicle. Having Jiffy lube do something like this is as bad
> as purchasing a Haynes Manual to tell you how to do it yourself.
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

Glenn - That was uncaring! LOL!

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old August 14th 07, 05:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bob AZ

On Aug 13, 4:59?pm, "maxpower" > wrote:

> The rear seat must come out and the fuel tank dropped to replace the fuel
> filter for this vehicle. Having Jiffy lube do something like this is as bad
> as purchasing a Haynes Manual to tell you how to do it yourself.
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech-

Glen

A curiosity thing but how long does this take?

Bob AZ

Old August 14th 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

On Aug 13, 10:29 pm, Bob AZ > wrote:
> On Aug 13, 4:59?pm, "maxpower" > wrote:
>
> > The rear seat must come out and the fuel tank dropped to replace the fuel
> > filter for this vehicle. Having Jiffy lube do something like this is as bad
> > as purchasing a Haynes Manual to tell you how to do it yourself.

> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech-

> Glen
>
> A curiosity thing but how long does this take?
>
> Bob AZ

According to a Chrysler tech that I communicated with, it can be done
in 20 minutes with the vehicle on a hoist. The left tank strap has to
be loosened, and the left front corner of the tank lowered. As Glenn
said, the rear seat cushion needs to be removed, and the wiring
lowered through the floor in order to lower the tank enough to remove
the filter.

I tried to do the one on my 1998 Stratus a few years back, but could
not get the quick release connectors undone. I ended up taking it to a
shop. They charged $100, plus the cost of a NAPA / Wix filter. The
Purolator one that I had purchased could not be used as the hoses were
too stiff to move the connectors into place, once the filter was
mounted.

-KM

Old August 15th 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
ks

The question is not how long the repair takes but how much time the "book"
says to bill.

KS

oups.com...

Old August 15th 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ted Mittelstaedt

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Aug 13, 10:29 pm, Bob AZ > wrote:
> > On Aug 13, 4:59?pm, "maxpower" > wrote:
> >
> > > The rear seat must come out and the fuel tank dropped to replace the

fuel
> > > filter for this vehicle. Having Jiffy lube do something like this is

as bad
> > > as purchasing a Haynes Manual to tell you how to do it yourself.

> > > Glenn Beasley
> > > Chrysler Tech-

> > Glen
> >
> > A curiosity thing but how long does this take?
> >
> > Bob AZ

> According to a Chrysler tech that I communicated with, it can be done
> in 20 minutes with the vehicle on a hoist. The left tank strap has to
> be loosened, and the left front corner of the tank lowered. As Glenn
> said, the rear seat cushion needs to be removed, and the wiring
> lowered through the floor in order to lower the tank enough to remove
> the filter.
>
> I tried to do the one on my 1998 Stratus a few years back, but could
> not get the quick release connectors undone. I ended up taking it to a
> shop. They charged $100, plus the cost of a NAPA / Wix filter. The
> Purolator one that I had purchased could not be used as the hoses were
> too stiff to move the connectors into place, once the filter was
> mounted.

Of course you can always just cut off the quick release connectors and use
hose clamps like everyone else does. ;-)

Ted