Lug Nut Torque

Old May 28th 05, 07:07 PM
tony wright

Default Lug Nut Torque

What is the recommended lug nut torque for '65 vette. I am running 15 x 8
wheels with 255-60 tires.
TLW

Old May 29th 05, 06:14 AM
Bob G

On Sat, 28 May 2005 18:07:34 GMT, "tony wright"
> wrote:

>What is the recommended lug nut torque for '65 vette. I am running 15 x 8
>wheels with 255-60 tires.
>TLW

=======================>
I see nobody gave you an answer.... YET !

I torque the lug nuts to 85 to 90 pounds...BUT that is just me..

Out of curiosity I pulled the shop Manuel for my 64 out and could not
find a thing, pulled out both the 76 & 79s Manuel and also struck
out... Then I said heck lets take one of the cars out for a
ride...and I did...!

Weird I could even find the torque figures for bleeder valves but not
the lug nuts....

Bob G.
Old May 29th 05, 01:52 PM
Kickstart

>>What is the recommended lug nut torque for '65 vette. I am running 15 x 8
>>wheels with 255-60 tires.
>>TLW
>>

> =======================>
> I see nobody gave you an answer.... YET !
>
> I torque the lug nuts to 85 to 90 pounds...BUT that is just me..
>
> Out of curiosity I pulled the shop Manuel for my 64 out and could not
> find a thing, pulled out both the 76 & 79s Manuel and also struck
> out... Then I said heck lets take one of the cars out for a
> ride...and I did...!
>
> Weird I could even find the torque figures for bleeder valves but not
> the lug nuts....
>
> Bob G.

I had new tires and new American rims put on @ tire kingdom Friday they told
me to retorque the lugs in 50 miles to 100 ft lbs
Hope that helps ......... hope their right

kickstart

Old May 29th 05, 02:28 PM
Ron in NY-67 427/435hp

"tony wright" > wrote:

>What is the recommended lug nut torque for '65 vette. I am running 15 x 8
>wheels with 255-60 tires.
>TLW

According to the 1967 chassis service manual, listed under "bolt torques", the
recommended torque for Corvettes is 75 foot pounds. The rest of the passenger
line up is 65 foot pounds. I don't know why the difference---the studs are all
7/16" .

RON
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.
Old May 29th 05, 04:05 PM
Paul H.

Ron in NY-67 427/435hp wrote:
> "tony wright" > wrote:
>

>>What is the recommended lug nut torque for '65 vette. I am running 15 x 8
>>wheels with 255-60 tires.
>>TLW

> ================================================== ==============
> According to the 1967 chassis service manual, listed under "bolt torques", the
> recommended torque for Corvettes is 75 foot pounds. The rest of the passenger
> line up is 65 foot pounds. I don't know why the difference---the studs are all
> 7/16" .
>

> RON
> ================================================== ======
> Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

Ron's 75 sounds like a good maximum.

Couldn't find anything for '65. Chilton also shows 75 lb-ft for early
C3s. Googles:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/torque.jsp

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/InstallChecklist.pdf

http://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

HTH .... Paul H.
Old May 29th 05, 04:56 PM
tony wright

Thanks everyone, it seems 75 lbs. is what I need to go with. TLW

Old May 30th 05, 04:19 AM
Bob G

>> Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

>Ron's 75 sounds like a good maximum.
>
>Couldn't find anything for '65. Chilton also shows 75 lb-ft for early
>C3s. Googles:

========================
Well.... I guess I shoul back down on my 85 to 90....
Tomorrown morning my Torque wrech will get a post it note rubberbanded
around it to remind meto use 75 pounds...Wish I could trust my
memory...lol...

Damn Great weekend.
4 of the cars got out...A Cruise IN...A Show..the drag strip and the
manditory...dinner out...! The 95 will find something to do tomorrow

Bob G.
Old June 4th 05, 04:37 PM
W. Moore

Hi all,
My service manual, printed by Carbooks Inc., that covers 66-79 Vettes lists
80#-ft as the torque for wheel lug nuts. I'm not sure how much difference
there would be from 75#-ft.

m...

Torque Wrench Seraph Honda 12 February 6th 05 10:07 PM
torque wrench calibration [email protected] Technology 7 December 20th 04 05:47 PM
Does the Chrysler Corporation Car Production Broadcast paper show pinion bearing preload and pinion nut torque? JP Dodge 6 September 21st 04 02:16 AM
Why/How do diesels deliver *less* power but *more* torque? [email protected] General 2 September 15th 04 11:39 PM