1984 'Vette: A Few Problems

Old April 25th 05, 07:17 AM
Nosada

Default 1984 'Vette: A Few Problems

I have a 1984 Corvette and would like to know a few things.

First of all, I have a few minor cosmetic concerns, such as a loose
headliner, foggy windshield and a few control knobs are either loose or
have fallen off and will not stay on (headlights, air conditioning). I
have blackouts and one of the front ones (turn signal) is coming off. I
tried using crazy glue but it wouldn't hold.

As far as mechanical concerns go, I have a pretty bad oil leak that has
been getting worse. I don't want to pay for this repair, as I am on a
very tight budget but I realize it must be taken care of immediately.
The car began to overheat on the freeway yesterday so I'mafraid the
water pump may be giving out.

I believe that's about it. Any suggestions or advice would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Old April 25th 05, 03:31 PM
Tom in Missouri

Get a second job, it will only get worse.

Oil leaks are easy in some ways. If it is old, there will be a dirty trail
back to the area it is in, such as valve covers, intake manifold end
gaskets, etc. If it is really old, you may have the whole engine in oil and
dirt and need to clean it and look for the leak then.

Common leaks are valve cover gaskets, intake manifold end gaskets, oil
sending units, front main seal (in timing cover) and rear main seal (inside
engine).

Blackouts are wonderful. They cut the visible light by 30% or more, meaning
most people will see your lights even less than normally, and increase the
chances of them plowing into you somewhere. They are also illegal in some
states, although almost never enforced, but could create insurance hassles
if you try to make a claim in an accident.

ups.com...

Old April 25th 05, 05:13 PM
Nosada

I bought the car with blackouts. I don't know how to remove them but I
could care less about them being a hazard. And they're legal in
California.

Old April 25th 05, 09:15 PM
CardsFan

"Nosada" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have a 1984 Corvette and would like to know a few things.
>
> First of all, I have a few minor cosmetic concerns, such as a loose
> headliner, foggy windshield and a few control knobs are either loose or
> have fallen off and will not stay on (headlights, air conditioning). I
> have blackouts and one of the front ones (turn signal) is coming off. I
> tried using crazy glue but it wouldn't hold.
>
> As far as mechanical concerns go, I have a pretty bad oil leak that has
> been getting worse. I don't want to pay for this repair, as I am on a
> very tight budget but I realize it must be taken care of immediately.

Well, your choices a (a) find the leak and fix it yourself or, once you
know the source of the leak, shop all around for the best quote, (b) buy a
couple cases of oil and keep adding as necessary, or (c) burn up the engine.

> The car began to overheat on the freeway yesterday so I'mafraid the
> water pump may be giving out.

Is the coolant level right? Is there crap blocking the airflow? Water
pumps aren't real cheap either, but again cheaper than a fried motor.

AJM
'93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp

Old April 26th 05, 05:37 AM
WayneC

Nosada wrote:

> The car began to overheat on the freeway yesterday so I'mafraid the
> water pump may be giving out.

Water pumps rarely are at fault when a car overheats. Water pump
failures usually are due to bad bearings, so they may leak water from a
weep hole provided for that purpose when that happens, but usually
you'll notice the failure from the squeaky noises the failing bearings
make. Look for the simple things first, like whether you are having to
add water, and if so, look for the water leak... it can be as simple as
a loose hose clamp or as serious as a leaking radiator core or a head
gasket leak. If it isn't losing water, then you have to look at other
stuff, like fans that aren't working, a bad thermostat, a failed
radiator cap, or a clogged radiator core. You may need a radiator shop
to help you find the tough stuff.
Old April 26th 05, 08:22 AM
Nosada

Thanks.

Old May 29th 05, 04:44 AM
Atlantic965

Early C4s were a nightmare as all GM cars of this period were. I remember
the AC on early C4s was so anemic you had to put your face to the vents to
feel the air. I would never buy a C4 made before 1986. Or if you can afford
it 1993 +. I would get rid of this car because it will be one thing after
the other. These cars were falling apart when they were new. I am shocked
there are any left. Look and you will see before 1986 C4s are rare because
they did not last.

ups.com...

Old May 30th 05, 06:02 AM
George Csahanin

I differ...I had a very early 84, s/n 140, and it had great a/c (I'm in
Texas) and once I had the injectors "balanced" it ran great.

With Nosada, though...the oil leak bothers me. Not sure about the foggy
windshield, but teh blackouts make me think it may be loaded with Pep Boyz
crap. The overheat part may be his first experience with a C4 and this panic
will subside as tme goes by. I'm almost over it ater ten years.

I'd stay away from a LT-1, simply because of teh distributor problem. My 92
needed it last year. Major pain to change, but also did water pump same
time.

But it sounds like his operating budget is tight, and replacing the car is
not an option. But he doesn't indicate how much oil is leaking. How many
miles per quart, etc.

-G