Dodge Caravan 2002 Transmission Problem

Old October 26th 05, 11:37 AM
Marsh Monster

Default Caravan Transmission Problem....PING...Stam

Old October 26th 05, 11:53 AM
Marsh Monster

Default Dodge Transmission Problem....or misguided trust

..
..
(concerning consumer reports mag)
=========
=========
(larry*moe*'n*curly)
blurts out:

Then where are we supposed to get our information, from friends and
mechanics who still believe that Chevys and Fords are great and "Jap
stuff" is junk?

Those of us who aren't experts or industry insiders have very few other
sources of reliability information, but it seems that CR's overall
reliability scores coincide well with Popular Mechanics' and the records
that one large fleet leasing company keeps.

CR reliability surveys do seem to get it right for digital cameras, TVs,
and central air conditioners (A/C experts seem to agree except for York,
which they hold in higher regard), so why should they be so wrong about
cars?

============
============

you jest keep trusting in CR and PM's reliabitity
data.......

oh yeah........and git rid of that high mileage
Mopop BEFORE the tranny takes a dump....
cuz it IS going to take a dump.

I installed 3 604 trannies last week.
(fwd mopop)

I installed 2 518 trannies last week.
(rwd mopop)

and.......as i sit here and think about the
12 FWD stock units and 7 RWD stock units
(all mopop) sitting there on my shelf waiting
to be installed........

i'm also thankfull for the truck load that i installed so far this year.

you jest keep igoring yer friendly neighborhood
tech.....and reading those magazines......

oh......you may want to disregard the advertising in those magazines,
and the magazines they are affiliated with......the OEMs
may be spending millions on the ads....but you
and i know that the real purpose of the mag
is to let you know what products you can trust.
don't we....

any whoooo......
never change yer tranny fluid....
always trust non techs in technical situation...
and disregard all those Mopop tranny cores
lying around the shop when you go get yer
flashing OD light checked out at the tranny
shop.........they don't mean a thing.....

~MarshMonster~
has to go check the hits on his "Swamp Land for Sale" site.

Old October 26th 05, 12:15 PM
Marsh Monster

Default Dodge 2002 Transmission Problem....it's a fluid thing

(inline)
..
..
or is it??
..
..
=========
========

(MaceFace)
asked 2 questions:

So why did Chrysler respec the fluid 3-4 times since introducing their
1st 4-spd auto?

Was it because they had no breakdown problems?

========
========
Mace,

answers to yer Qs

1)
Because the materials used to make clutches
have changed since then. The characteristics
of the lining materials have changed with all
manufacturers over the years. Though this
is not the only reason.....it IS the main reason.

2)
No....they know they're gonna breakdown.
so does every tranny shop in the country.

(random thoughts)

Most manufactures specify their own fluid type
be used and it's best to do so. (my opinion)
Most manufacturers use different clutch materials and the
characteristics are different
from one to the other.
Putting Dextron/Mercron in a Honda will let
the Honda shift.....however....eventually it
will feel like your running over a washboard
everytime the thing shifts because Honda fluid
has different friction characteristics than Dextron. Same holds true
for sticking Dextron
in a Mopop. Friction properties from OEM to
OEM (and even within the same oem) fluid
types are different because the friction characteristics of the clutch
materials are different from OEM to OEM.

I stick Dextron/Mercron in most everything.
most everything....with a friction modifier.
But that's another war.

~MarshMonster~

Old October 26th 05, 03:28 PM
larry moe 'n curly

Default Dodge Caravan 2002 Transmission Problem

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, larry moe 'n curly wrote:

> What's your point with this question? It's nonresponsive to anything
> posted so far in this thread. The Toyota Corolla/Geo Prizm dichotomy
> was primarily based on CR's own, er, "tests".

> > What Corolla-Prizm dichotomy? Those cars have always ranked closely,
> > both in CR's judgement and their surveys. Show me where they didn't,
> > either by model year or CR issue, or admit that you don't have proof.
> >
> > The fact that brand twins have shown very similar CR reliability
> > ratings indicates that CR's surveys are very repeatable, something you
> > wouldn't expect if they were useless garbage

> > I've looked for it in their reliability tables but haven't found it.

> Keep a-lookin'.

I already have, but apparently you haven't.

> > Cite two models and a year.

> Asked and answered. It's not for me to do your homework;

You've cited the Corolla/Prizm, but you're wrong about that pair. You
haven't shown one valid example to back up your claim.

Old October 26th 05, 03:30 PM
larry moe 'n curly

Old October 26th 05, 03:47 PM
larry moe 'n curly

Marsh Monster wrote:

> > Those of us who aren't experts or industry insiders have very few other
> > sources of reliability information, but it seems that CR's overall
> > reliability scores coincide well with Popular Mechanics' and the
> > records that one large fleet leasing company keeps.

> > CR reliability surveys do seem to get it right for digital cameras,
> > TVs, and central air conditioners (A/C experts seem to agree except
> > for York, which they hold in higher regard), so why should they be so > > wrong about cars?

> you jest keep trusting in CR and PM's reliabitity data.......

All I'm saying is that they're useful, and if they were really invalid
it would be a strange coincidence that they agree so much.

> oh yeah........and git rid of that high mileage Mopop
> BEFORE the tranny takes a dump....cuz it IS going to take a dump.

Are you saying that Chrysler still hasn't gotten the bugs out?

> I installed 3 604 trannies last week. (fwd mopop)
>
> I installed 2 518 trannies last week. (rwd mopop)
>
> and.......as i sit here and think about the 12 FWD stock
> units and 7 RWD stock units (all mopop) sitting there on
> my shelf waiting to be installed........
>
> i'm also thankfull for the truck load that i installed so far this year.

> you jest keep igoring yer friendly neighborhood
> tech.....and reading those magazines......

I've never taken any car of mine to a garage, except for tires and
dealer warranty work, and the last time I did that, about a decade ago,
my problem was misdiagnosed (but I got a new belt and tensioner out of
that).

> any whoooo......never change yer tranny fluid....

I change it every 15,000 miles (Ford/Mazda, Nissan)

> always trust non techs in technical situation...

Never, not even those who impersonate techs and work at bad garages and
claim that if the computer doesn't put out error codes then there must
not be any problems.

Old October 26th 05, 04:28 PM
David

And you are a twit for postng multiple times.

oups.com...

Old October 26th 05, 05:15 PM
Norm De Plume

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, David wrote:

> > Because it affected the performance and shifting. As ATF+ has different
> > properties then Dextron.

> True, but there is no "t" in DEXRON.

And more importantly there's no "I" in "team" or orange juice in Sunny
Delight.