US lighting

Old June 27th 06, 09:07 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default US lighting

Why do cars in the USA run with their indicator lights on at the same time
as the headlights?

Old June 27th 06, 12:55 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Hi!

Mark Hewitt wrote:
> Why do cars in the USA run with their indicator lights on at the same time
> as the headlights?

Those aren't indicators (turnblinkers), although they're amber too,
and they often share the same lamp; they're running lights (I think
that's the term). Why? Because. :-)

Just like red rear turnblinkers being legal in the US, that's just
one of those little differences that come from tradition. Europe
went from semaphores to amber turnblinkers directly, whereas the US
began flashing their running lights (front) and brake lights (rear)
at some point. I think that the amber running lights were then
made legal to allow for easy conversion of existing designs with
white turnblinkers/running lights by the manufacturers.

Additionally, in those days sealed beam headlights were mandatory
in the US, whichmade it impossible to incorporate white running
lights into the headlights like they did in Europe.

Yours,
Erik.
--
"Relax. Have a cigar! Make yourself at home. Hell is full of high court
judges, failed saints. We've got Cardinals, Archbishops, barristers,
Old June 29th 06, 09:18 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

FMVSS 108 permits the front turn signal indicators to be used as the
side running lamps if the turn signal indicators are wrapping round to
the side. Some manufacturers find it more economical to incorporate both
turn signal indicators and side running lamps using one bulb rather than
separate bulbs.

It is matter of manufacturer's choice in designing and incorporating the
lighting system however they see to fit.

One of the antediluvian and hebetudinous safety regulations conceived by
US Department of Transportation's National Highway and Transportation
Safety (sic) Administration and vigorously lobbied by the domestic
automobile manufacturers to continue. Another 'not-invented-here'
syndrome. And 'least common denominator' that the manufacturers LOVE.

Time to push for switch to ECE (international de facto automotive safety
regulations) for US market. The Americans will have MUCH more choices of
vehicles and see the saving of about $2000 per vehicle.

Old July 1st 06, 06:33 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
bernard farquart

"Mark Hewitt" > wrote in message
> Why do cars in the USA run with their indicator lights on at the same time
> as the headlights?

How long has it been since I read a
Daniel Stern post?

Bernard

Old July 1st 06, 10:15 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Erik Meltzer

Hi!

bernard farquart wrote:
> How long has it been since I read a
> Daniel Stern post?

According to Google, three months. Anyone know what
happened?

Yours,
Erik.
--
"'Multiple exclamation marks,' he went on, shaking his head,
'are a sure sign of a diseased mind.'"