Follow up...Oil changes, Toyotas, and GM problems

Old October 25th 05, 12:34 AM

Default Follow up...Oil changes, Toyotas, and GM problems

"Shep" > wrote in message
> Some research on the Toyota sludging problem suggests that the crankcase
> vent system too restrictive and was compromised by extending oil change
> intervals under hard driving conditions, the vent system became restricted
> allowing vapors to be trapped in the crankcase causing more rapid

formation
> of oil contamination.

I certainly accept that this could have been the case. Don't know exactly,
since I never owned one of them.

After having driven one, I can say that they seem to be very well
conceived cars. Will I buy one? Maybe...

Old October 25th 05, 12:37 AM
shiden_kai

Eugene Nine wrote:

> My previous boss too his wife's Camry to the toyota dealer every 3000
> miles for an oil change and still lost the engine at 20something k

This means nothing. All manufacturers have one-off engine failures.

Ian

Old October 25th 05, 01:55 AM
Hugo Schmeisser

Shep wrote:

> Some research on the Toyota sludging problem suggests that the
> crankcase vent system too restrictive and was compromised by
> extending oil change intervals under hard driving conditions, the
> vent system became restricted allowing vapors to be trapped in the
> crankcase causing more rapid formation of oil contamination.

Except that the engine's PCV system was never changed.

The part numbers for the later 1MZ-FE valve covers is different from
the original, and it's my understanding that the valve cover baffling
was changed a bit to allow better oil flowback when sludged.
Old October 25th 05, 02:11 PM
Scott

> wrote in message
om...
> In a recent post, I voiced my discontent with the way GM had handled the
> plenum
> failure problem in general, and mentioned it might be time to look at a
> Toyota.
>
> Someone (pardon for not remembering whom) posted that Toyota had also had
> problems with sludging engines, leading to failure in some instances.
>
> Drove the Toyota today. Wonderfully quiet, smooth, and responsive. Was
> really
> impressed.

Just go buy a godamn toyota and STFU.

Old October 25th 05, 02:23 PM

"Scott" <homealone.com> wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> om...
> > In a recent post, I voiced my discontent with the way GM had handled the
> > plenum
> > failure problem in general, and mentioned it might be time to look at a
> > Toyota.
> >
> > Someone (pardon for not remembering whom) posted that Toyota had also

had
> > problems with sludging engines, leading to failure in some instances.
> >
> > Drove the Toyota today. Wonderfully quiet, smooth, and responsive. Was
> > really
> > impressed.

> Just go buy a godamn toyota and STFU.

Gosh, Scott. Thanks for you eloquent and perceptive comments.

Old October 25th 05, 03:02 PM

"Comboverfish" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> HLS, you forgot one thing... to STFU.
> Two things if you haven't bought the Toyota yet.
>
> Kidding,
> Toyota MDT in MO

You have known me long enough to know that I am unlikely to STFU;>)

The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
VW's are not as reliable as Honda's and Toyota's Rufus McPiddlegump VW water cooled 5 January 6th 05 02:26 PM