Drunk Pilots / Drunk Drivers

Old June 9th 05, 09:08 PM

Default Drunk Pilots / Drunk Drivers

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=8736460

The pilots who drank somewhere around the equivalent of 15 12 ounce
beers between them starting at 11:00 PM and ending at 4:00 AM may have
had a night of heavy drinking, but I wouldn't call that unheard-of.
Happens all the time, I believe. The bar manager testified that they
didn't even appear drunk.

They were still legally drunk midmorning the next day? Wow! I think
that bartenders shouldn't only be asking heavy-drinking patrons if
they're going to be driving home that night. They should be asking
heavy-drinking patrons if they plan on going to work the next day.

I think that a bartender who serves a person that many drinks that late
at night should actually have to inform them that they will be
considered legally intoxicated until well into the next day. In this
case, at around beer 10 the bartender should have stopped and said
"Gentlemen, it is my duty to inform you that if you continue to drink
alcohol it is likely that you will be considered by the State of
Florida to be legally intoxicated until well into the workday tomorrow
and you will be advised to not operate a motor vehicle until a time
during the day tomorrow where your BAC percentage falls safely below
the legal limit."

Old June 10th 05, 05:15 PM

> The job is bartender, not drunk-sitter.

I guess.... but in this case that bartender served them all 15 of those
drinks and carefully kept the tally to present them with a bill at the
end of the night. God only knows how many free shots he threw their
way.

I agree that people need to be held accountable for their actions, but
these guys didn't drive home that night and they got a full night's
sleep before doing anything. Some reports say that they're BAC wasn't
tested until 3 hours after they're flight was scheduled to take off
which would mean that they were still legally drunk into the next
afternoon.... Do you believe that the bar shouldn't bear any
responsibility for these events?

Old June 11th 05, 06:58 AM
Laura Bush murdered her boy friend

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=8736460

> The pilots who drank somewhere around the equivalent of 15 12 ounce
> beers between them starting at 11:00 PM and ending at 4:00 AM may have
> had a night of heavy drinking, but I wouldn't call that unheard-of.
> Happens all the time, I believe. The bar manager testified that they
> didn't even appear drunk.
>
> They were still legally drunk midmorning the next day? Wow! I think
> that bartenders shouldn't only be asking heavy-drinking patrons if
> they're going to be driving home that night. They should be asking
> heavy-drinking patrons if they plan on going to work the next day.
>
> I think that a bartender who serves a person that many drinks that late
> at night should actually have to inform them that they will be
> considered legally intoxicated until well into the next day. In this
> case, at around beer 10 the bartender should have stopped and said
> "Gentlemen, it is my duty to inform you that if you continue to drink
> alcohol it is likely that you will be considered by the State of
> Florida to be legally intoxicated until well into the workday tomorrow
> and you will be advised to not operate a motor vehicle until a time
> during the day tomorrow where your BAC percentage falls safely below
> the legal limit."

Oh BS. If you get drunk, it's YOUR fault not the bartenders. I hope
those pilots get the maximum of 5 years in the can. Of course i wish
the max was life and they got that. I'm not a criminal coddler like you
republicans.

Old June 13th 05, 04:06 PM

> I know that I shouldn't drive for about 1 hr / drink, and using that
> rule I've never had a DUI. It's not that tough...

A 200 pound man should be able to drink 9 drinks in 6 hours and still
have a BAC under the legal limit in Florida. Most people would
consider going out and drinking 9 drinks in an all-night drinking
session to be a real bender. Factually speaking, many people can do
this in Florida and never register a BAC high enough to prohibit them
from driving legally.

As a poster who happens to be a 200+ pound male, I would have thought
that if I were to go out and drink 15 drinks in a long drinking session
and were to then sleep for 6+ hours, I would, upon waking, be sober
enough to drive (legally speaking). It looks like I was probably
correct. Since I have no desire to test this theory, I may never know
for sure.

I'm not arguing for leniency for the pilots - My interest was piqued
about the topic of next morning drunken driving and I thought I'd weigh
in.

Old June 13th 05, 04:16 PM
Larry Bud

> Oh BS. If you get drunk, it's YOUR fault not the bartenders.

Ok, what have you done with Judy?

> I'm not a criminal coddler like you republicans.

Oh, there you are.

The Nation's Worst Drivers [email protected] Ford Mustang 22 May 31st 05 01:56 AM
Should drunk drivers and speeders be micro-chipped?? Garth Almgren Driving 1 May 20th 05 07:18 AM
Drives me crazy MidnightDad Driving 35 April 26th 05 03:05 AM
SUV drivers MidnightDad Driving 60 April 1st 05 08:03 PM
Flashpoint Racing Series begins tonight! [email protected] Simulators 34 February 18th 05 01:37 AM