So It Isn't A Miata But It Is Interesting

Old January 11th 09, 06:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
John McGaw

Default So It Isn't A Miata But It Is Interesting

Just saw this and thought it interesting:

Now if they'd actually introduce it. And without detuning the engine first...

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old January 11th 09, 07:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

John McGaw wrote:
> Just saw this and thought it interesting:
>
> http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=13905
>
> Now if they'd actually introduce it. And without detuning the engine
> first...

RWD, over 50 mpg capability, a 0-60mph in the 6 second range, and a
weight under 2700 pounds.
It looks nice to me from these pictures as well.

VERY interesting. I wonder what the sticker price on them will be. I
also wonder if a PRHT will be offered.

Pat

Old January 12th 09, 09:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
jfeelders

Good looks and good fuel economy. Very nice one!

Jeroen
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands

"John McGaw" > schreef in bericht

Old January 12th 09, 04:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2009-01-11, John McGaw > wrote:

> Just saw this and thought it interesting:
>
> http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=13905

Not bad. The styling is still a bit too "busy" for my taste.
Too many details. The doors are too high also (what's the
point of having a convertible if you can't even rest your arm
on the door), but I presume that's required to pass side-impact
tests, since they've all done that recently.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Are you selling NYLON
at OIL WELLS?? If so, we can
Old January 12th 09, 05:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

John McGaw > wrote:

> Just saw this and thought it interesting:
>
> http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=13905
>
> Now if they'd actually introduce it. And without detuning the
> engine first...

Damn Diesel! I do NOT want to drive down the road stopping every 15
minutes to puke my guts out!

I'd like to see all diesel engines outlawed! For some of us they're as
bad as the peanut allergy is to some.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
Old January 12th 09, 06:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2009-01-12, XS11E > wrote:
> John McGaw > wrote:
>
>> Just saw this and thought it interesting:
>>
>> http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=13905
>>
>> Now if they'd actually introduce it. And without detuning the
>> engine first...

> Damn Diesel! I do NOT want to drive down the road stopping every 15
> minutes to puke my guts out!
>
> I'd like to see all diesel engines outlawed! For some of us
> they're as bad as the peanut allergy is to some.

I must admit I have a distinct aversion to diesel exhaust after
spending too much time one very hot July breathing the exhaust
of an LVTP7 assault vehicle. I really did think I was going to
puke a few times.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! An Italian is COMBING
at his hair in suburban DES
Old January 12th 09, 07:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

XS11E wrote:

> Damn Diesel! I do NOT want to drive down the road stopping every 15
> minutes to puke my guts out!
>
> I'd like to see all diesel engines outlawed! For some of us they're as
> bad as the peanut allergy is to some.

Diesel is nasty-smelling. Nothing like having a semi-truck washing it's
exhaust over you with the top down on your Miata.
Luckily, the smell from the exhaust is all that I am suffering, at least
for the short-term.

I have never known anyone who has reactions to diesel exhaust that does
not also suffer from gasoline exhaust as well, but this is interesting.

http://www.innovations-report.com/ht...ort-28662.html

"Diesel exhaust contains approximately one hundred times as many carbon
particles as petrol exhaust. The core in the particles is made up of
carbon. This core is surrounded by many different chemical materials.
The particles from diesel exhaust do not only seem to enhance the
symptoms with those who are already allergic, but seem also to trigger
latent allergies. "The chemical composition of the particles makes human
blood cells generate more antibodies," explains Loevik. In addition it
shows that the particle core in itself induces increased allergic immune
response with mice."

Pat

Old January 12th 09, 08:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
OzOne

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:19:47 -0600, pws >
wrote:

>XS11E wrote:
>
>> Damn Diesel! I do NOT want to drive down the road stopping every 15
>> minutes to puke my guts out!
>>
>> I'd like to see all diesel engines outlawed! For some of us they're as
>> bad as the peanut allergy is to some.

>Diesel is nasty-smelling. Nothing like having a semi-truck washing it's
>exhaust over you with the top down on your Miata.
>Luckily, the smell from the exhaust is all that I am suffering, at least
>for the short-term.
>
>I have never known anyone who has reactions to diesel exhaust that does
>not also suffer from gasoline exhaust as well, but this is interesting.
>
>http://www.innovations-report.com/ht...ort-28662.html
>
>"Diesel exhaust contains approximately one hundred times as many carbon
>particles as petrol exhaust. The core in the particles is made up of
>carbon. This core is surrounded by many different chemical materials.
>The particles from diesel exhaust do not only seem to enhance the
>symptoms with those who are already allergic, but seem also to trigger
>latent allergies. "The chemical composition of the particles makes human
>blood cells generate more antibodies," explains Loevik. In addition it
>shows that the particle core in itself induces increased allergic immune
>response with mice."
>
>Pat

Doesn't happen with modern car diesels, they are very clean.

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.
Old January 12th 09, 08:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

OzOne wrote:

> Doesn't happen with modern car diesels, they are very clean.

So I've been told while puking all over the driver....

Old January 12th 09, 09:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Rob[_15_]

XS11E > wrote:

> OzOne wrote:
>
> > Doesn't happen with modern car diesels, they are very clean.

> So I've been told while puking all over the driver....

I don't think that they sell (m)any modern diesel cars in the States -
there is an aversion to oil-burners over there that is no longer
justified by modern European and Japanese diesel engines. My brother has
a 2008 Honda Civic diesel that returns over 60mpg (Imperial gallons, not
US gallons), pulls like a train and does not smell nor sound like a
diesel at all.

As most of the diesel engines over there are in big trucks, I doubt
whether the fuel is as 'clean' as it is on this side of the pond, as
ours has to handle small highly engineered engines in cars as well as
great big FOAD truck engines. I've not seen a UK truck belching out
black smoke for years, whereas when I was in the States a couple of
years ago, most of the big trucks I saw poured out black smoke when
pulling away from a stop. Trucks doing that in the UK would be pulled up
by the police and taken off the road until they were fixed (in theory,
anyway).

As far as the carbon particulates are concerned, most modern Euro diesel
cars now have particulate filters in the exhaust system that eliminate
the bulk of that emission type.

Having said that, I don't think I'd want an oil-powered Miata/MX
5/Roadster as the heavier engine would screw up the balance of the car.
--
Rob - Shropshire
So many cats,

FA: Flying Miata STB + Hood Prop for 1990 - 1997 Miata pws[_1_] Mazda 0 March 30th 07 02:00 PM
interesting Anonymous Corvette 1 January 16th 06 05:32 PM
2000SE miata top FS on miata.net classifieds pws Mazda 1 December 20th 05 08:29 AM
Would this be interesting? Bart Bervoets VW air cooled 4 April 28th 05 01:15 PM
What a Miata wants to be when it gows up - Mazda Miata mini monster truck.jpg (0/1) schism Mazda 13 November 27th 04 03:18 PM