Does BMW stick to roll-out schedules?

Old December 8th 04, 11:26 AM
PRNole

Default Does BMW stick to roll-out schedules?

Had been thinking of getting a new E90 at the end of my current lease,
which is up in March 05. At the end of the lease I can go month-to-month
until the new 3-series arrives at the dealers. BMW website talks about
first introducing the car in the US at the NY Auto Show that starts
March 26 and then send it to the dealers during the summer of 05.
Summer can be June-July-August (early Sept ?) so it appears iffy exactly
just when the car will be available to a buyer. I really don't want to
go much beyond my current lease if I were to switch to a month-to-month
basis until the car is available (interest payments for current lease is
based on 36-month to end in March and not on either 39 or 42 months).
Does BMW tend to stick closely to planned roll outs or have they been
know to produce "vapor" products that are delayed way beyond expectations?
Old December 8th 04, 09:29 PM
Andrew Thomas

PRNole wrote:
> Had been thinking of getting a new E90 at the end of my current

lease,
> which is up in March 05. At the end of the lease I can go

month-to-month
> until the new 3-series arrives at the dealers. BMW website talks

about
> first introducing the car in the US at the NY Auto Show that starts
> March 26 and then send it to the dealers during the summer of 05.
> Summer can be June-July-August (early Sept ?) so it appears iffy

exactly
> just when the car will be available to a buyer. I really don't want

> go much beyond my current lease if I were to switch to a

month-to-month
> basis until the car is available (interest payments for current lease

is
> based on 36-month to end in March and not on either 39 or 42 months).

> Does BMW tend to stick closely to planned roll outs or have they been

> know to produce "vapor" products that are delayed way beyond

expectations?

It depends what you mean - these aren't software updates, after all.
BMW has an unfortunate history of releasing new cars for sale just
before they are actually ready - usually in response to pressure in the
domestic and key export markets (and never, it must be said, because
the car is lo longer competitive or failing to meet sales targets).

The E36 was launched with significant quality issues in 1990; neither
was the E46 trouble-free in 1998. These days BMW launches directly
into the US market, without give the car time to settle in first in the
domestic market. If the website is right, and the car is launched in
the summer, I would cross your fingers that the E90 doesn't repeat the
problems of its two forebears.

EVO SMG V/S Stick Vijay Kumar BMW 8 October 4th 04 09:53 AM
A3 roll bar bushes UK cost? Alex Audi 1 August 4th 04 12:37 PM
New A6 in Stick in US? Cam Newton Audi 8 July 21st 04 06:14 PM