1999 Miata

Old September 8th 04, 01:09 AM
Craig

Default 1999 Miata

Hello friends at rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata,

I'm thinking about buying a 99 Miata. I read on consumerguide.com that the
bearing caps on the 99's were not machined properly causing engine noise
(rattling) which requires a new block in order to be fixed. I was wondering
if anyone has had any trouble with this. Is there any thing else I should
know about the 99's?

Thanks,
Craig

Old September 8th 04, 02:07 AM
Gary Fuchs

Mine's an early '99 with over 90K and I haven't noticed anything like
what you describe. Minor paint issues on the hood. Occasional rain
leakage over my left shoulder.

Always a kick. And amazing in snow with the Blizzaks.

Some (many) here will automatically disparage "99's and later
(insecurity, stupidity, immaturity, who knows why?). Too bad. Great car
if you can handle not having the latest, most expensive ride...or
needing to impress early model owners.

Best of luck,

Gary Fuchs

Old September 8th 04, 03:39 AM
HardwareLust

Craig wrote:
> Hello friends at rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata,
>
> I'm thinking about buying a 99 Miata. I read on consumerguide.com
> that the bearing caps on the 99's were not machined properly causing
> engine noise (rattling) which requires a new block in order to be
> fixed. I was wondering if anyone has had any trouble with this. Is
> there any thing else I should know about the 99's?
>
> Thanks,
> Craig

99's have less legroom for the driver, are more expensive, and not nearly as
much fun to own, work on, or drive as the NA's (the pre-99's) are. Save
your money and find a nice NA you can upgrade with the leftover funds
instead. You'll be much happier.

Yes, I've owned both, and I currently drive (and regret buying) a '99
instead of a '91 like I had originally owned.

Regards,
H.

Old September 8th 04, 05:14 PM
Craig

"Craig" > wrote in message
> Hello friends at rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata,
>
> I'm thinking about buying a 99 Miata. I read on consumerguide.com that

the
> bearing caps on the 99's were not machined properly causing engine noise
> (rattling) which requires a new block in order to be fixed. I was

wondering
> if anyone has had any trouble with this. Is there any thing else I should
> know about the 99's?
>
> Thanks,
> Craig

Thanks for the replies. I would have figured that the 2nd gen Miatas would
be better except for maybe the fun to work on part. I like the 2nd gen body
style better and they don't have pop-up headlights (is there a 1st gen
headlight conversion kit?) The 2nd gens engine puts out more horsepower. I
forgot to ask if Miatas in general are costly to insure.

Old September 8th 04, 05:52 PM
Natman

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 20:09:35 -0400, "Craig"
> wrote:

>Hello friends at rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata,
>
>I'm thinking about buying a 99 Miata. I read on consumerguide.com that the
>bearing caps on the 99's were not machined properly causing engine noise
>(rattling) which requires a new block in order to be fixed. I was wondering
>if anyone has had any trouble with this. Is there any thing else I should
>know about the 99's?
>
>Thanks,
>Craig

http://www.miata.net/solo/99miatathr...ngfailure.html

Yes there was a problem with a SMALL percentage of 99s. The link will
tell you what there is to know. Please note that if the crankshaft
endplay checks out OK there is no problem and the engine is just as
reliable as any other.
Old September 8th 04, 05:53 PM
jchase

Craig wrote:
> "Craig" > wrote in message
>

> Thanks for the replies. I would have figured that the 2nd gen Miatas would
> be better except for maybe the fun to work on part. I like the 2nd gen body
> style better and they don't have pop-up headlights (is there a 1st gen
> headlight conversion kit?) The 2nd gens engine puts out more horsepower. I
> forgot to ask if Miatas in general are costly to insure.

I own a '99 (bought new) and am totally happy with it. The leg and
head room issue (due to "fatter" seats) is true, but only you can decide
if it changes your comfort.

The '99 is a bit heavier and more powerful than the earlier 1800cc cars
(94-97), a little more rigid, and some say a little less agile (although
the tire choice and alignment have a huge impact on handling and feel)

There is a bit more trunk space (relocated spare and exhaust)

I happen to agree with you on the front-end styling, and the fixed
lights do eliminate some mechanical bits. I know of no general
reliabilty issues with either car; there were a few bad motors installed
which will fail, but the serial numbers affected are well known and
there's lots of info on the internet (try www.miata.net for a start).

When I switched from a 1995 VW GTI to a Miata in 1999, my insurance
premium dropped.

Joe
Silver '99

Old September 8th 04, 08:37 PM
jimuntch

Last January, I bought a beautiful green 99 Miata for $7800, from a
wholesale house in Texas (ebay). It's been one of the best cars I've owned.
I've been on 3 thousand mile trips, with no problems. I did have a bad
ignition coil, which I replaced with an upgraded part. It cost me $183 from
Trussvill Mazda, and a couple hours worth of work. When the coil went bad,
it took out the cat converter, which was replaced for free by Mazda, under
the 8 year/80K mile warranty. Before buying the 99, I drove two 97s. The
trunk is a lot smaller in the 97s, and I don't like the pop-up headlights,
and a PLASTIC rear window! Good Luck...jim

Old September 9th 04, 04:40 AM
pws

jimuntch wrote:
> Last January, I bought a beautiful green 99 Miata for $7800, from a
> wholesale house in Texas (ebay). It's been one of the best cars I've owned.
> I've been on 3 thousand mile trips, with no problems. I did have a bad
> ignition coil, which I replaced with an upgraded part. It cost me $183 from
> Trussvill Mazda, and a couple hours worth of work. When the coil went bad,
> it took out the cat converter, which was replaced for free by Mazda, under
> the 8 year/80K mile warranty. Before buying the 99, I drove two 97s. The
> trunk is a lot smaller in the 97s, and I don't like the pop-up headlights,
> and a PLASTIC rear window! Good Luck...jim

I like the pop-up headlights because I have never seen a car with the
headlights exposed that looked as smooth and finished as a M1 miata,
imho, when the headlights are down. The Acura NSX is another example of
the aesthetics of having no headlight glass exposed on the exterior.

Does anyone have numbers on the trunk cubic foot capacity for both
models? The trunk space in my car is incredibly small, but I leave the
spare out for any trips under a hundred miles or so. Takig the spare out
made a huge difference in how many groceries I can carry.

I completely agree that the plastic rear window sucks. Luckily, this
can be fixed by putting an M2 top or other aftermarket glass top on the
car, though it can also be quite expensive.

The main thing that I have envied in the M2 over the M1 was the steering
wheel. Until recently, M1 owners have had the option as an ugly-as-hell
airbag-equipped steering wheel or swapping it for a momo-style wheel and
losing the airbag. There is now a very nice looking airbag-equipped
steering wheel for the M1, I hope to see installed pics and a review by
Leon before too long.

Pat
'96M
Old September 9th 04, 01:41 PM
Leon van Dommelen

pws > wrote:

>losing the airbag. There is now a very nice looking airbag-equipped
>steering wheel for the M1, I hope to see installed pics and a review by
>Leon before too long.

Still waiting for the replacement adapter to arrive.

Leon

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)

Ferodo brake pad code for 1999 BMW E39 520i vricardo BMW 0 December 9th 04 02:35 PM
Miata gas milate srides Mazda 2 September 11th 04 02:39 PM
Market Value - 2003 Miata Carol Mazda 18 September 9th 04 09:12 PM
Ebay auction 1999 Miata In-Dealer Train Kit for Service Advisors and Techs Dale Alexander General 0 March 20th 04 06:37 PM