Top repair

Old September 3rd 04, 01:59 AM
ALYSONSDAD

Default Top repair

Is there any way to repair a convertible top? small limb went throught top.

TIA
Old September 3rd 04, 11:05 AM
Leon van Dommelen

(ALYSONSDAD) wrote:

>Is there any way to repair a convertible top? small limb went throught top.

A repair sheet can be glued to the back of the top. How it looks?

Leon

(BigR) wrote:

>>My daughter's '91 was broken into on her college campus yesterday.
>>They made an L shaped cut in her top, approx 4 inches long on each
>>side, reached in, unlocked the door and ripped the center console
>>stereo cover out and stole her stereo and her CDs.
>>
>>I can replace the stereo and cover, as I have done this earlier, but
>>what about the top.
>>
>>The top is less than one year old.
>>
>>Anybody know of how best to go about repairing the top. The tear is
>>between the support beams, right above the arm rest on the passenger
>>side.

>The Mazda workshop Manual says to cut a large enough piece of repair
>sheet (Mazda part number NAY 1 R1 211) to use as a back repair
>sheet. Degrease it using ethyl alcohol. Apply generous amount
>of adhesive (K 180 W0 313 or equivalent) to the section being
>repaired and the repair sheet. Let stand a few minutes. Install
>the sheet from the underside of the top. Press the repair sections
>firmly together. Let stand until the adhesive is fully dry.
>
>Don't put a popular brand of replacement stereo in and tell your
>daughter to leave no valuables in the passenger area, the car on the
>brake and in gear, and the doors unlocked. A Miata is not a safe.
>
>A new top can be had for a few hundred dollars, but installing it
>is a bit of a pain.
>
>Leon
>
>--
>Leon van Dommelen Bozo, the White 96 Sebring Miata .)
> To reply to me, the word Miata must be in the subject.
> EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old September 3rd 04, 06:27 PM
rickd

Why not call your insurance company .let them look after it ??

Old September 4th 04, 01:47 AM
Leon van Dommelen

"rickd" > wrote:

>Why not call your insurance company .let them look after it ??

Even if you would have full coverage on such an old car, we
have seen in this group that they may only refund the residual
value of the top.

Leon

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old September 8th 04, 02:08 AM
Lisa

duct tape until you can get to the car upholstery place?