MIKE Hunter's smaller car thesis??

Old July 1st 07, 02:35 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy

Default MIKE Hunter's smaller car thesis??

GO Mavs wrote:

>I have never been in a car without my seat belt on...

>guess that is just how we were raised...

>my parents both worked at a hospital though...

>I always love those stories people tell you about "the doctor told me if i
>had my seat belt on, id be dead."

>cough cough... bs cough cough...

I started doing accident investigations back when seatbelts were still
optional equipment, but I can't remember one accident where the
vehicle's occupants would have been better off without seatbelts.

On the other hand, I did know a person who would not have lost his big
toe if he hadn't been wearing steel-toed safety shoes, and my father
may have died prematurely, from Parkinson's disease, because he quit
smoking at age 75. Still, I don't mow the lawn without safety shoes
or smoke.

Old July 1st 07, 04:40 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Bill Ward[_2_]

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 17:31:37 -0400, Wickeddoll® wrote:

> "JoeSpareBedroom" <...
>> "Wickeddoll®" ...
>>>
>>> "Jeff" ...

>>> Exactly- I know plenty of well-educated people who don't wear their
>>> seatbelts routinely.

>> The governor of New Jersey, for instance.
>>

> Yeah, I remember that - and he was speeding.

IIRC, he wasn't speeding. He has people to do that for him.

Old July 1st 07, 04:57 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Wickeddoll®[_2_]

"Bill Ward"...
>> "JoeSpareBedroom" <...
>>> "Wickeddoll®" ...

>>> The governor of New Jersey, for instance.
>>>

>> Yeah, I remember that - and he was speeding.

> IIRC, he wasn't speeding. He has people to do that for him.

Mea culpa.

:-)

Natalie

Old July 1st 07, 02:06 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
JoeSpareBedroom

"Bill Ward" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 17:31:37 -0400, Wickeddoll® wrote:
>

>> "JoeSpareBedroom" <...
>>> "Wickeddoll®" ...

>>> The governor of New Jersey, for instance.
>>>

>> Yeah, I remember that - and he was speeding.

> IIRC, he wasn't speeding. He has people to do that for him.

Yeah - a state trooper was doing 90-ish mph during that accident. Meanwhile,
11 teens were killed in gruesome car accidents here over the past month, and
the police say some were "speed related".

Old July 1st 07, 02:49 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Michael Pardee

"jim beam" > wrote in message

> clearly, "safety" is not the true agenda - it's oil consumption. and
> frankly, when we're buying it from a bunch of hostiles, that makes no
> sense.

Although, if you are talking about US imports, we don't buy much oil from
hostiles - Venezuela is the top of the hostile oil supplier list at 13% of
our imports. Canada is our #1 source of imported oil at 22%, Mexico is #2 at
19%, Saudi Arabia is #3 at 16%. It's been that way for a long time. In fact,
according to the US Dept of Energy, 55% of our oil imports come from the
western hemisphere. http://tinyurl.com/7ldt Another 16% comes from Saudi
Arabia, with which we have better relations than we do with some of our
supposed allies. Iraq, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia are the only mid-east
countries to even make the list. (Iraq is only 5.5% of our imports and
Kuwait is only 1.5%, for those oil-for-war theorists out there.) And US oil
consumption is still only about what it was in 1978. Over the last quarter
century US oil consumption has fluctuated only about 20% from present
values, 25% from the 1983 minimum.
http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/25opec/sld007.htm

Mike

Old July 1st 07, 02:55 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
JoeSpareBedroom

"Michael Pardee" > wrote in message
.. .
> "jim beam" > wrote in message
>>
>> clearly, "safety" is not the true agenda - it's oil consumption. and
>> frankly, when we're buying it from a bunch of hostiles, that makes no
>> sense.

> Although, if you are talking about US imports, we don't buy much oil from
> hostiles - Venezuela is the top of the hostile oil supplier list at 13% of
> our imports. Canada is our #1 source of imported oil at 22%, Mexico is #2
> at 19%, Saudi Arabia is #3 at 16%. It's been that way for a long time. In
> fact, according to the US Dept of Energy, 55% of our oil imports come from
> the western hemisphere.

For further clarification of "hemisphere", I'll share some enlightenment
from the commander in chief:

"Natural gas is hemispheric. I like to call it hemispheric in nature because
it is a product that we can find in our neighborhoods."—Austin, Texas, Dec.
20, 2000

Old July 1st 07, 03:35 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Dave Kelsen

On 6/30/2007 3:42 PM Wickeddoll® spake these words of knowledge:

> "Jeff" ...
>> jim beam wrote:

>>> chill babe! you're witnessing something vital to the survival of the
>>> species! if the stupid ones kill themselves [and their kids], they will
>>> die out. that leaves more for the rest of us!

>> Actually, they just need to kill their kids.
>>
>> However, it often has a lot to do with education, not intelligence.

> Exactly- I know plenty of well-educated people who don't wear their
> seatbelts routinely. They only wear them for the highway, which is stupid,
> since most fatalities happen within 30 minutes of one's home. Dunno why
> that is; my guess is that on the highway, people tend to be more alert.

Actually, it's quite simple; most travel is within 30 minutes of one's
home. Additionally, longer distances usually imply highway miles.
Interstate highways don't have intersections or opposing traffic (on the
same roadway) and are much, much safer than city streets.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
At dinner yesterday, I tried to cut myself a slice of prime rib, but it
was only divisible by itself and one.
Old July 1st 07, 04:15 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Grumpy AuContraire

Michael Pardee wrote:
> "jim beam" > wrote in message
>
>>clearly, "safety" is not the true agenda - it's oil consumption. and
>>frankly, when we're buying it from a bunch of hostiles, that makes no
>>sense.

> Although, if you are talking about US imports, we don't buy much oil from
> hostiles - Venezuela is the top of the hostile oil supplier list at 13% of
> our imports. Canada is our #1 source of imported oil at 22%, Mexico is #2 at
> 19%, Saudi Arabia is #3 at 16%. It's been that way for a long time. In fact,
> according to the US Dept of Energy, 55% of our oil imports come from the
> western hemisphere. http://tinyurl.com/7ldt Another 16% comes from Saudi
> Arabia, with which we have better relations than we do with some of our
> supposed allies. Iraq, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia are the only mid-east
> countries to even make the list. (Iraq is only 5.5% of our imports and
> Kuwait is only 1.5%, for those oil-for-war theorists out there.) And US oil
> consumption is still only about what it was in 1978. Over the last quarter
> century US oil consumption has fluctuated only about 20% from present
> values, 25% from the 1983 minimum.
> http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/25opec/sld007.htm
>
> Mike

That link is badly outdated as it reflects 1997-98 figures...

JT

Old July 1st 07, 04:45 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Michael Pardee

"Grumpy AuContraire" > wrote in message
news

> Michael Pardee wrote:
>> "jim beam" > wrote in message
>>
>>>clearly, "safety" is not the true agenda - it's oil consumption. and
>>>frankly, when we're buying it from a bunch of hostiles, that makes no
>>>sense.

>> Although, if you are talking about US imports, we don't buy much oil from
>> hostiles - Venezuela is the top of the hostile oil supplier list at 13%
>> of our imports. Canada is our #1 source of imported oil at 22%, Mexico is
>> #2 at 19%, Saudi Arabia is #3 at 16%. It's been that way for a long time.
>> In fact, according to the US Dept of Energy, 55% of our oil imports come
>> from the western hemisphere. http://tinyurl.com/7ldt Another 16% comes
>> from Saudi Arabia, with which we have better relations than we do with
>> some of our supposed allies. Iraq, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia are the only
>> mid-east countries to even make the list. (Iraq is only 5.5% of our
>> imports and Kuwait is only 1.5%, for those oil-for-war theorists out
>> there.) And US oil consumption is still only about what it was in 1978.
>> Over the last quarter century US oil consumption has fluctuated only
>> about 20% from present values, 25% from the 1983 minimum.
>> http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/25opec/sld007.htm
>>
>> Mike

> That link is badly outdated as it reflects 1997-98 figures...
>
> JT

I used it because it shows the trend well. Nothing has changed; here's most
of a decade later (same range, but loses the interesting stuff in the '70s)
http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cabs/Usa/Oil.html and the up-to-date figures in
a chart format http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/hist/mttupus1m.htm
Comparing that to census numbers
http://www.census.gov/population/est...intfile1-1.txt the oil
usage per capita is virtually identical to what it was in 1980; the
population increased 22% while oil consumption increased 23% (1980-2000, the
limits of the census numbers on that view). I haven't graphed the entire
data set but just scanning the numbers and comparing it to the petroleum
consumption graphs I'd be amazed to find a 5% variance in per capita
consumption more than a couple places in the covered period.

Mike

Old July 1st 07, 08:31 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
JoeSpareBedroom

" dbu,." > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>
>> "Michael Pardee" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>> > Although, if you are talking about US imports, we don't buy much oil
>> > from
>> > hostiles - Venezuela is the top of the hostile oil supplier list at 13%
>> > of
>> > our imports. Canada is our #1 source of imported oil at 22%, Mexico is
>> > at 19%, Saudi Arabia is #3 at 16%. It's been that way for a long time.
>> > In
>> > fact, according to the US Dept of Energy, 55% of our oil imports come
>> > from
>> > the western hemisphere.

>> For further clarification of "hemisphere", I'll share some enlightenment
>> from the commander in chief:
>>
>> "Natural gas is hemispheric. I like to call it hemispheric in nature
>> because
>> it is a product that we can find in our neighborhoods."—Austin, Texas,
>> Dec.
>> 20, 2000

> Did you know if you drill deep enough you can find natural gas anywhere,
> even in your own backyard? Bet you, JSB didn't know that.

If you believed that cutting off your pecker would somehow distract from
your master's foolishness, you'd have the cleaver out instantly. :-)

Is anyone using a smaller steering wheel in a C3 ? dave Corvette 1 March 31st 05 04:13 PM
Smaller Wheels CobraJet Ford Mustang 17 February 17th 05 04:35 AM
4WD smaller vehicle choices Dan Birchall 4x4 2 August 11th 04 08:24 PM