Nice day for a drive / T1R thoughts

Old April 3rd 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Nice day for a drive / T1R thoughts

In article >,
Scott Hughes > wrote:

> There's also the Falken Azenis RT-615 available in 14".
> (pic he http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...eDetail.do?pc=
> 18500 )
> They dont' look like they'd do so well in heavy rain as the Toyos (to my
> untrained eye), anyone used these?

I have not driven the 615. I did autocross the softer (and discontinued)
215 on a wet parking lot at Rev It Up a few years ago, right after the
rain stopped, and they pretty much ignored the water at the low speeds
involved. Those who haven't tried them will no doubt call me a liar, but
I daresay the 215 had more grip on a damp track than a T1R in the dry.
Their reputation is not good in standing water, though, where they
reportedly hydroplane as readily as you'd expect from the tread pattern.
I wouldn't expect the 615 to be significantly different.

The Azenis and the T1R approach their duties from opposite directions.
The T1R is a civilized "finesse" tire, while the Azenis is a stiff,
heavy brute that sacrifices comfort and versatility for response and dry
grip. It's apparently designed specifically for autocross; it works well
cold, but doesn't hold up well to heat on a real track. Many Miata
owners want nothing more than what the Azenis does brilliantly, and
won't use anything else. Choice is good. If I didn't use my Miata for
long road trips into uncertain weather, I would try a set of Azenis
myself, just for grins.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old April 4th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Leon van Dommelen wrote:
> "tooloud" > wrote:
>
>> but don't get caught casually mentioning that the Honda S2000 is a
>> pretty good car, too.

> Why not? It is frequently mentioned here and generally agreed with
> that it is a very good car. I just do not like its plastic toy car
> looks
> and before I call something a convertible, I want the doors to
> stop towering before they reach my ears. If I had found the looks
> of the S-2000 anywhere near acceptable, I would have been driving
> one for years, no question about it. I have been needing a more
> reliable backup for Bozo a long time.

I'm over 6' tall. I like the S2000's beltline because sometimes I feel like
I'm driving around in a clown car in my '95 Miata.

--
tooloud
Remove nothing to reply

Old April 4th 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"tooloud" > wrote in

> I'm over 6' tall. I like the S2000's beltline because sometimes I feel
> like I'm driving around in a clown car in my '95 Miata.

Huh.. at 6'2", I've never sat in a car that fits me better than my '94
Miata. Unfortunately that includes the NB & NC, neither of which fit quite
right.. I guess that's a good thing tho, since I can't afford a newer one
anyway.

-Scott
Old April 5th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Scott Hughes wrote:
> "tooloud" > wrote in
>
>> Lanny Chambers wrote:

>>> Oh, yes. They stick better than all-seasons in the dry.

>> In any case, if you're happy with the wet performance of the Toyos,
>> that's great, but don't claim that they handle wet roads better than
>> a "regular" all-season tire handles dry pavement; someone might
>> actually believe it. I mean, when you really consider the situation,
>> are you really comfortable saying that you'd be faster through a wet
>> autocross with the T1-Rs than an identical car and driver would be
>> through a completely dry course with all-seasons?

> Well, I don't know about the Toyos yet, but I did the Mazda Rev-It-Up
> event a couple years ago when the were racing the Mazda 3. It rained
> the day we were there and the tires they had (I'm thinking Kumho, not
> sure tho) were amazing. I would say that, yes, you could run a
> better laptime w/ those in the rain than your basic high-mileage
> all-seasons in the dry. So I wouldn't automatically dismiss Lanny's
> opinion as crazy "magic- tire" claims.

That's a pretty bold statement.

Anyway, it's not that I'm haphazardly discounting Lanny's claims...this
issue has risen a half-dozen times in the time I've been here and I know
that not everyone feels the same way about the Toyos--their wet weather
traction, to be specific.

--
tooloud
Remove nothing to reply

Old April 5th 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Scott Hughes wrote:
> Leon van Dommelen wrote:
>
>> Car and Driver did not seem that impressed with the Toyo T1R.
>>
>> http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y_f1_gs_d3.jsp
>>
>> Leon

> Thanks for the link. I haven't read the article yet, but
> unfortunately, I think the Toyos and the Hankooks are the only tires
> in that whole list that come in 14". There's also the Falken Azenis
> RT-615 available in 14". (pic he
> http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...eDetail.do?pc= 18500 )
> They dont' look like they'd do so well in heavy rain as the Toyos (to
> my untrained eye), anyone used these?

If there's one thing I've learned about tires, it's that one shouldn't even
consider trying to extrapolate a tire's performance characteristics by looks
alone.

--
tooloud
Remove nothing to reply

Old April 5th 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"tooloud" wrote:
> That's a pretty bold statement.

Yup, I was quite impressed w/ the tires.

> Anyway, it's not that I'm haphazardly discounting Lanny's claims...this
> issue has risen a half-dozen times in the time I've been here and I know
> that not everyone feels the same way about the Toyos--their wet weather
> traction, to be specific.

Well, I certainly appreciate hearing both sides..
Thanks for the discussion everyone, I'll probably be placing my order this
afternoon.

-Scott

The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
the little nice things... brink Driving 1 June 27th 05 07:49 PM
Reflections on a 350 mile test drive of a 2003 330i ZHP nopcbs BMW 19 December 9th 04 11:04 PM
Drive Clean, old A2s, and NOx emissions Garry Tarr VW water cooled 1 November 9th 04 12:18 PM
My GT test drive thoughts PhilipS Alfa Romeo 18 August 15th 04 11:38 PM