Is the use of "Nite Shades" on taillights legal?

Old January 4th 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Is the use of "Nite Shades" on taillights legal?

Is it legal to use the "Nite Shades" on taillight lens? This product
darkens the lens. It seems to me this must have an impact on the amount
of light emitted through the lens. Are there rules/regulations/laws
that are in conflict with this product?

Examples of its appliation can be seen at http://tinyurl.com/7h83x
Product information is at
http://www.stevensautoglaze.com/nati...o/niteshds.htm

I noticed that the product disclaimer says - "This product is for
off-road use only and can only be shipped to the continental US." This
implies to me it is technically illegal, but does its use actually
cause problems with law enforcement / vehicle inspection?

Ed

Old January 4th 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Will fail NYS inspection.
oups.com...

Old January 4th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Ed White wrote:
> Is it legal to use the "Nite Shades" on taillight lens? This product
> darkens the lens. It seems to me this must have an impact on the amount
> of light emitted through the lens. Are there rules/regulations/laws
> that are in conflict with this product?
>
> Examples of its appliation can be seen at http://tinyurl.com/7h83x
> Product information is at
> http://www.stevensautoglaze.com/nati...o/niteshds.htm
>
> I noticed that the product disclaimer says - "This product is for
> off-road use only and can only be shipped to the continental US." This
> implies to me it is technically illegal, but does its use actually
> cause problems with law enforcement / vehicle inspection?
>
> Ed

Probably not. It really depends on the discretion of the police
officer, but the taillights are guaranteed by the mfgr. to be legal
only with a stock, unmodified lens. Now you may be able to use such a
product and still have legal light output, but there's too many
variables to give a blanket answer and I'm sure that a police officer
still might recognize them as being modified and issue a ticket anyway.
Short answer, I wouldn't take the risk.

nate

Old January 4th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Ed White wrote:
> Is it legal to use the "Nite Shades" on taillight lens? This product
> darkens the lens. It seems to me this must have an impact on the amount
> of light emitted through the lens. Are there rules/regulations/laws
> that are in conflict with this product?
>
> Examples of its appliation can be seen at http://tinyurl.com/7h83x
> Product information is at
> http://www.stevensautoglaze.com/nati...o/niteshds.htm
>
> I noticed that the product disclaimer says - "This product is for
> off-road use only and can only be shipped to the continental US." This
> implies to me it is technically illegal, but does its use actually
> cause problems with law enforcement / vehicle inspection?
>
> Ed

If it is legal only for off road use then by inference it is illegal
for onroad use according to the maker. Why anyone (other than military
or a drug runner) would want to darken a taillight on any car is beyond
me. Maybe this is the latest in "cool" lighting along with faux HID
lights and lighted wheel wells.

Old January 4th 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

John S. wrote:
> Ed White wrote:
> > Is it legal to use the "Nite Shades" on taillight lens? This product
> > darkens the lens. It seems to me this must have an impact on the amount
> > of light emitted through the lens. Are there rules/regulations/laws
> > that are in conflict with this product?
> >
> > Examples of its appliation can be seen at http://tinyurl.com/7h83x
> > Product information is at
> > http://www.stevensautoglaze.com/nati...o/niteshds.htm
> >
> > I noticed that the product disclaimer says - "This product is for
> > off-road use only and can only be shipped to the continental US." This
> > implies to me it is technically illegal, but does its use actually
> > cause problems with law enforcement / vehicle inspection?
> >
> > Ed

> If it is legal only for off road use then by inference it is illegal
> for onroad use according to the maker. Why anyone (other than military
> or a drug runner) would want to darken a taillight on any car is beyond
> me. Maybe this is the latest in "cool" lighting along with faux HID
> lights and lighted wheel wells.

Well, it does look good on a black or dark colored car. But the safety
implications would keep me from using it - I'm always trying to make my
lights work as well as possible, not hinder their output.

nate

Old January 4th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Ed White wrote:

> Is it legal to use the "Nite Shades" on taillight lens? This product
> darkens the lens.

Application of a tinted coating or any kind of covering, even a clear one,
over a lighting device is prohibited by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety
Standard 108 (Lamps and Reflective Devices). Therefore, in every state it
is Federally illegal for any party except the vehicle owner to apply such
a covering or coating. In a state with a vehicle code that incorporates
FMVSS 108 requirements, either by incorporation or by reference,
application of a lens-darkening coating by any party including the vehicle
owner would be illegal. Even in states that do not incorporate or
reference FMVSS 108 requirements in their vehicle codes, it is very likely
that application of any tinted coating or covering would render the
vehicle noncompliant with state requirements for lighting device
visibility and/or performance.

And, finally, even if you live in a state with a vehicle code that is
completely silent on the matter, application of any tinted or opaque
coating or covering to any vehicle lighting or reflective device is a
collossally stupid idea. Not only does it sharply reduce the performance
of these safety devices, increasing the likelihood you'll be hit, but it
also is an open invitation for cops to pay special attention to you. Ever
drive out of state, or even to the next town? Just because local cops
don't care doesn't mean other cops will likewise disregard the
modification. And, in the event of a collision, it would be a rather easy
case to make in court that the coating or covering on a vehicle's lamps
reduced their performance to such a degree that they were a causal factor
in the crash.

DS
Old January 4th 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

N8N wrote:
> John S. wrote:
> > Ed White wrote:
> > > Is it legal to use the "Nite Shades" on taillight lens? This product
> > > darkens the lens. It seems to me this must have an impact on the amount
> > > of light emitted through the lens. Are there rules/regulations/laws
> > > that are in conflict with this product?
> > >
> > > Examples of its appliation can be seen at http://tinyurl.com/7h83x
> > > Product information is at
> > > http://www.stevensautoglaze.com/nati...o/niteshds.htm
> > >
> > > I noticed that the product disclaimer says - "This product is for
> > > off-road use only and can only be shipped to the continental US." This
> > > implies to me it is technically illegal, but does its use actually
> > > cause problems with law enforcement / vehicle inspection?
> > >
> > > Ed

> > If it is legal only for off road use then by inference it is illegal
> > for onroad use according to the maker. Why anyone (other than military
> > or a drug runner) would want to darken a taillight on any car is beyond
> > me. Maybe this is the latest in "cool" lighting along with faux HID
> > lights and lighted wheel wells.

> Well, it does look good on a black or dark colored car. But the safety
> implications would keep me from using it - I'm always trying to make my
> lights work as well as possible, not hinder their output.
>
> nate

I think Dan Stern said it a lot better than I.

Old January 4th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

In article .com>,
"Ed White" > wrote:

> Is it legal to use the "Nite Shades" on taillight lens? This product
> darkens the lens. It seems to me this must have an impact on the amount
> of light emitted through the lens. Are there rules/regulations/laws
> that are in conflict with this product?
>
> Examples of its appliation can be seen at http://tinyurl.com/7h83x
> Product information is at
> http://www.stevensautoglaze.com/nati...o/niteshds.htm
>
> I noticed that the product disclaimer says - "This product is for
> off-road use only and can only be shipped to the continental US." This
> implies to me it is technically illegal,

#include <IAmNotALawyer.h>

Well, for starters, that doesn't just "imply". It tells you specifically
that it isn't street-legal.

> but does its use actually cause problems with law enforcement /

Maybe. Probably depends on how observant/active the cops are in your
neck of the woods. The level of funds in local coffers might have an
impact, too, depending on how your cops/sheriff get their operating
money.

> vehicle inspection?

I'd expect it to get you a big fat FAIL stamp if it isn't street-legal,
which the disclaimer makes clearly known is the case. YMMV by inspector,
I'd imagine.

My *OPINION*, offered with the full knowledge that it may be worth
exactly what you paid me for it, is that (A) This stuff is illegal on a
street vehicle (B) Because of this, you're likely to find yourself
getting more police attention than you like, should you apply it, and
(C) I wonder how well it comes off when you get the fix-it ticket? Or
will you have to go out and buy yourself some new lenses at some ungodly
price?

Local anecdote - northern California:
You've seen those "mask" widgets that get put on taillights, right? I'm
sure you know the ones I'm talking about... A Dodge Ram pickup with a
chrome cutout of a ram wrapped around each taillight, and similar? Not
really all that different from this stuff you're asking about. The ones
sold around here carried the same "off road use only" disclaimer. And
they caught on - for a short time - I think it was about a month or so
of seeing them "here and there" in increasing numbers, then all of a
sudden, for about 3 weeks they were *REAL* popular - everybody and his
dog seemed to have some variation of the theme,hung on everything
tricked out Rams to ragged out beaters. At $30+ a pop, they couldn't
keep 'em on the shelf, according to the counterman I talked to at the
local "Real" (As opposed to Autozone, etc) auto parts place. About that
time, the cops started noticing them and enforcing a long-standing bit
of local legalese that boils down to "any aftermarket gear that isn't
certified to (one of several major automotive standards I've forgotten
and am too lazy to look up for this post) is a defective equipment (fix
it or fork over $250 and expect to get pulled over again) ticket on the
first offense, and a $500 fine on the second and subsequent offenses."

Found that out when I asked the same counterman why they suddenly got so
scarce almost overnight - In the course of about 10 days, it went from
"they're everywhere" to only seeing a small handful a day, and then
finally not seeing them at all. As he put it, within a week of the
crackdown, you couldn't get anybody to buy those things if they were
marked down to 5 sets for a buck, 'cause the cops were smelling easy
money. (That's also when I found out that around here, a %-age of
whatever gets collected from last year's traffic fines automatically
gets dumped into the "general purpose" section of this year's PD/Sheriff
budgets on top of whatever else gets allocated by "city hall")

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info
Old January 4th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

>This product darkens the lens.

That would seem a legally and pragmatically questionable thing to do to
a part whose whole reason for existence is to emit a certain amount
and quality of light, don't you think?

Cheers,
--Joe

Old January 4th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
> Application of a tinted coating or any kind of covering, even a clear one,
> over a lighting device is prohibited by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety
> Standard 108 (Lamps and Reflective Devices).

My wife's son has a Jaguar that has now lost the two RHS lenses over the
right headlights (Not a sealed beam application). The lights work, but he
cannot find these lenses in the junkyards, and the new price looks
frighteningly
like a couple hundred bucks each.

We used to install plastic rock guards over the headlights of our company
cars to stop the almost continuous replacement of the sealed beams.

Do you interpret this legislation (And I cannot see any reason why it
wouldn't)
to prevent such protective covers?