Basic Horsepower Upgrades

Old October 28th 05, 03:32 PM
Grant Edwards

Default Basic Horsepower Upgrades

On 2005-10-28, Dave > wrote:
> In article > , "Dan Fraser" > wrote:
>>I was trying to decide between the Miata and a Mustang. If you really want a
>>lot of power (and are willing to blow it out your pipe at $3.00 a gallon)
>>you should have bought a Mustang.

> What if he wants the Miata's handling, but with more power??

Miata with FAI.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I brought my BOWLING
at BALL -- and some DRUGS!!
Old November 14th 05, 03:04 AM
Dave

In article >, pws > wrote:
wrote:

>> Besides, the Mustang will be in the next county before the Miata comes
>> out of the turn. Can't beat cubes, especially coming out of turns.

>It's called power to weight. The Lotus Elise has a tiny engine and not
>too much horsepower, but it will blow away a Mustang badly in any
>situation that involves corners. You need those cubes when your car
>weighs that much.

Wow, this thread gets another life!

Hey, I'm a Miata owner. I'm a fan of lightweight sports cars with
feel. That's why I have the Miata. I don't care that much about
big time hp numbers, but ...

Sometimes I think Miata owners live in their own private world.
Keep repeating the mantra of how great a handling car the Miata is.
Cite many stories of sticking with all sorts of sports cars in the
twisties or at some track day.

Get real. Primary factor is the driver. Both in skill and, in the
case of public road anecdotes, balls/stupidity. But most any track
test (not including auto-X) will show that "better handling" only
makes up for so much. Given an equal driver, power/weight has a
decided advantage.

And weight aside, the 300 hp Mustang still has a significant
power/weight advantage over our Miata. So, back to the power
upgrades ...
Old November 14th 05, 03:34 AM
pws

Dave wrote:

> Wow, this thread gets another life!

Of course.

> Hey, I'm a Miata owner. I'm a fan of lightweight sports cars with
> feel. That's why I have the Miata. I don't care that much about
> big time hp numbers, but ...
>
> Sometimes I think Miata owners live in their own private world.
> Keep repeating the mantra of how great a handling car the Miata is.
> Cite many stories of sticking with all sorts of sports cars in the
> twisties or at some track day.

My own private world? I mentioned the Elise, I am obviously aware of
other cars out there. The miata is one of the best-handling
mass-produced cars ever made, that is not a mantra, it is a fact. It
certainly handles far better than that Mustang.

> Get real. Primary factor is the driver.

Of course it is, to a limit. Put Jeff Gordon in a beat-up old Toyota
Tercel and me in a new Corvette, though, and I have a feeling I am going
to win the race.
Will a good driver in a Mustang beat a poor driver in a miata on a
twisty track? Of course they will. That is obvious.

Both in skill and, in the
> case of public road anecdotes, balls/stupidity. But most any track
> test (not including auto-X) will show that "better handling" only
> makes up for so much. Given an equal driver, power/weight has a
> decided advantage.

I agree that the power is an advantage, but how does the weight help?

> And weight aside, the 300 hp Mustang still has a significant
> power/weight advantage over our Miata. So, back to the power
> upgrades ...

The power upgrades make the miata a very fast car without destroying the
handling. There are suspension upgrades for the Mustang, but nothing
that will make it handle *well* compared to cars like the miata that are
both lightweight and use modern technology for their suspensions.

Pat

Old November 14th 05, 04:05 AM

I like my Miata but in the 13 years that I have owned it, I have also
owned other cars that on a daily basis I preferred to drive. Like my
former VW Corrado SLC.

The Miata is actually a rather slow car which has outstanding weight
balance and a well-designed suspension.

Within its limitations, it handles well enough but on two-lane roads has
little margin to complete a blind pass.

That "handling through the turns business" is mostly done at 35 to 55
mph, yes? What's up with that?

All of this is in dry weather conditions, anyway. The Miata, like the
Bullitt is useless in the winter without snow tires. And even then would
be no better off than a Taurus with snow times. Actually the Taurus
being front wheel drive would probably come out ahead.

I park both the Miata and the Mustang in the garage for the Winter and
wait for warmer times.

20+ Horsepower Increase for your BMW. RaceMOD Performance chip only $29.99 RaceMOD BMW 6 November 6th 05 04:00 AM
Why you should never buy a car without a tachometer Ted B. Driving 112 September 19th 05 04:09 AM
Guess on horsepower??? Willis Technology 10 August 4th 05 10:37 PM
Upgrades for '04 S4 Pete Stolz Audi 1 February 17th 05 09:13 AM
Horsepower Still Sells [email protected] Ford Mustang 1 January 13th 05 04:45 AM