$36.46

Old August 24th 05, 03:07 AM
Wound Up

:

>>>19 for the Escape is horrible. Hell, even our '96 MPV Shoebox gets
>>>around 17 or 18 overall.

>>>Right. Not to mention rwd, a bit more metal surrounding you, and
>>>more room.

>>>For now, true. But long term I don't see hybrids as viable
>>>solutions. I think we'll see technology that hasn't been developed
>>>yet in the not-too-distant future.

>>Too much expensive hardware, IMO.

> That's exactly what I think of hybrids now.

When I first started hearing about the design ideas, I thought they
would be disasters. Well, they're out there, but I still think "disaster".

>>A friend's got a Civic hybrid -
>>picked me up when I brought the Tempo in for inspection. It's like
>>a damned golf cart, hit the gas, the engine springs to life, and you
>>feel the pull of the electric motors. Stop, and it's like you're
>>dead in the water. It's a bit unnerving at first. He gets 45+ in
>>it.

> And how much more than a regular Civic did he pay for it?

I don't know. He did get a tax break but a dime more than its
comparable gas model is too much.

>>But I just don't know if I'd want to consider fixing all that crap.

> Bingo! In addition to the regular gasoline stuff you have the
> electric stuff to fix. Double the complexity, double the cost. At
> least.

I completely agree, at least double. Maybe worth leasing. Proprietary,
new, complicated and expensive technology that is critical to the
operation of the vehicle. No thanks (ha), I'll take 8-10 fewer MPG.

>>I'd get a small gas engined car, or a TDI VW. For SUVs, it raises
>>an interesting point because they suck so badly on mileage. But
>>again, even more hardware. I'd get a small sta wag... whatever
>>happened to the sta wag?

> It's kicking major ass as the Dodge Magnum SRT-8. 1/4 mile in 13.1
> seconds. Check out the article in this month's Motor Trend.

Man, that's pretty cool. I will. I liked the idea of the Magnum, but
was underwhelmed. Sounds like they're moving in the right direction.

I have an affinity for gigantic, powerful wagons. I plan to build a car
called The Dragon some day. I'm thinking tubbed, green, wood paneled
LTD with a bored and stroked 460, either with twin turbos or a roots
blower. I'll even re-do the wood paneling.

--
Wound Up
ThunderSnake #65

Old August 24th 05, 12:00 PM
Joe

Wound Up > wrote in
:

<snipped for brevity's sake>
>>>Too much expensive hardware, IMO.

>> That's exactly what I think of hybrids now.
>>

> When I first started hearing about the design ideas, I thought they
> would be disasters. Well, they're out there, but I still think
> "disaster".

Guess most of them work ok, but again, I'd never want to have to fix
one.

>>>A friend's got a Civic hybrid -
>>>picked me up when I brought the Tempo in for inspection. It's like
>>>a damned golf cart, hit the gas, the engine springs to life, and
>>>you feel the pull of the electric motors. Stop, and it's like
>>>you're dead in the water. It's a bit unnerving at first. He gets
>>>45+ in it.

>> And how much more than a regular Civic did he pay for it?
>>

> I don't know. He did get a tax break but a dime more than its
> comparable gas model is too much.

So ask him to do the math - how long will it take him to recoup the
extra $$ he paid for the car in gasoline savings?

>>>But I just don't know if I'd want to consider fixing all that crap.

>> Bingo! In addition to the regular gasoline stuff you have the
>> electric stuff to fix. Double the complexity, double the cost. At
>> least.
>>

> I completely agree, at least double. Maybe worth leasing.
> Proprietary, new, complicated and expensive technology that is
> critical to the operation of the vehicle. No thanks (ha), I'll take
> 8-10 fewer MPG.

If that. And I'll also take the _much lower_ price of the gasoline-
only vehicle.

>>>I'd get a small gas engined car, or a TDI VW. For SUVs, it raises
>>>an interesting point because they suck so badly on mileage. But
>>>again, even more hardware. I'd get a small sta wag... whatever
>>>happened to the sta wag?

>> It's kicking major ass as the Dodge Magnum SRT-8. 1/4 mile in 13.1
>> seconds. Check out the article in this month's Motor Trend.
>>

> Man, that's pretty cool. I will. I liked the idea of the Magnum,
> but was underwhelmed. Sounds like they're moving in the right
> direction.

The 6.1 is no slouch. 425hp/420lb-ft torque off the showroom floor.

> I have an affinity for gigantic, powerful wagons. I plan to build a
> car called The Dragon some day. I'm thinking tubbed, green, wood
> paneled LTD with a bored and stroked 460, either with twin turbos or
> a roots blower. I'll even re-do the wood paneling.

Cool. A while ago Hot Rod did a spread on hi-po wagons. I died over
the '57 Merc twin-turbo 460. Awesome.
Old August 25th 05, 01:06 AM
Wound Up

Joe wrote:
> Wound Up > wrote in
> :
>
> <snipped for brevity's sake>

>>>That's exactly what I think of hybrids now.
>>>

>>When I first started hearing about the design ideas, I thought they
>>would be disasters. Well, they're out there, but I still think
>>"disaster".

> Guess most of them work ok, but again, I'd never want to have to fix
> one.

Parts availability alone would concern me too much to buy one. If I
were a professional mechanic or service writer (even), I'd groan in pain
at the thought of having to explain the repair bills.

>>>And how much more than a regular Civic did he pay for it?

>>I don't know. He did get a tax break but a dime more than its
>>comparable gas model is too much.

> So ask him to do the math - how long will it take him to recoup the
> extra $$ he paid for the car in gasoline savings?

He'll know; he analytical like that. I'll ask him. It's a labor of
love for the environment to him. It was high 90s - 100 here for about a
month and he still didn't turn on his a/c in his home or car. I told
him he was insane, and I that just charged up the R12 in my old Tempo,
and he said, "oh, bad for the environment". I reminded him of how many
coal-fired megawatts were needed to build his hybrid.

>>>Bingo! In addition to the regular gasoline stuff you have the
>>>electric stuff to fix. Double the complexity, double the cost. At
>>>least.
>>>

>>I completely agree, at least double. Maybe worth leasing.
>>Proprietary, new, complicated and expensive technology that is
>>critical to the operation of the vehicle. No thanks (ha), I'll take
>>8-10 fewer MPG.

> If that. And I'll also take the _much lower_ price of the gasoline-
> only vehicle.

No kidding. I'm going to look at the websites and compare MSRPs more
closely now. Personal habit and proper maintenance can account for much
of the so-called savings anyway.

>>>It's kicking major ass as the Dodge Magnum SRT-8. 1/4 mile in 13.1
>>>seconds. Check out the article in this month's Motor Trend.
>>>

>>Man, that's pretty cool. I will. I liked the idea of the Magnum,
>>but was underwhelmed. Sounds like they're moving in the right
>>direction.

> The 6.1 is no slouch. 425hp/420lb-ft torque off the showroom floor.

MAN that's cool, bravo for Chrysler.

>>I have an affinity for gigantic, powerful wagons. I plan to build a
>>car called The Dragon some day. I'm thinking tubbed, green, wood
>>paneled LTD with a bored and stroked 460, either with twin turbos or
>>a roots blower. I'll even re-do the wood paneling.

> Cool. A while ago Hot Rod did a spread on hi-po wagons. I died over
> the '57 Merc twin-turbo 460. Awesome.

Another thing to Google! I've been a slouch with keeping up on stuff.
That WOULD be one awesome sled to have. So cool to see old wagons
smoking the usual suspects at the strip.

--
Wound Up
ThunderSnake #65

Old August 25th 05, 03:31 AM
Joe

Wound Up > wrote in
:

> Joe wrote:
>> Wound Up > wrote in
>> :
>>
>> <snipped for brevity's sake>

>>>When I first started hearing about the design ideas, I thought they
>>>would be disasters. Well, they're out there, but I still think
>>>"disaster".

>> Guess most of them work ok, but again, I'd never want to have to
>> fix one.

> Parts availability alone would concern me too much to buy one. If I
> were a professional mechanic or service writer (even), I'd groan in
> pain at the thought of having to explain the repair bills.

Who needs to deal with two powerplants in one vehicle? Not me..

>>>I don't know. He did get a tax break but a dime more than its
>>>comparable gas model is too much.

>> So ask him to do the math - how long will it take him to recoup the
>> extra $$ he paid for the car in gasoline savings?
>>

> He'll know; he analytical like that. I'll ask him. It's a labor of
> love for the environment to him.

That's admirable, but it's too expensive for me. I can't afford to
take care of the environment.

> It was high 90s - 100 here for
> about a month and he still didn't turn on his a/c in his home or
> car. I told him he was insane, and I that just charged up the R12
> in my old Tempo, and he said, "oh, bad for the environment". I
> reminded him of how many coal-fired megawatts were needed to build
> his hybrid.

LOL! Sounds like the kind of guy who'd be living in a log cabin in
the woods with a wood stove and without electricity.

>>>I completely agree, at least double. Maybe worth leasing.
>>>Proprietary, new, complicated and expensive technology that is
>>>critical to the operation of the vehicle. No thanks (ha), I'll
>>>take 8-10 fewer MPG.

>> If that. And I'll also take the _much lower_ price of the
>> gasoline- only vehicle.
>>

> No kidding. I'm going to look at the websites and compare MSRPs
> more closely now. Personal habit and proper maintenance can account
> for much of the so-called savings anyway.

IIRC, it would take something like 12 years to recoup the money you
spent on the car itself from the gasoline savings. Something like
that.

>>>Man, that's pretty cool. I will. I liked the idea of the Magnum,
>>>but was underwhelmed. Sounds like they're moving in the right
>>>direction.

>> The 6.1 is no slouch. 425hp/420lb-ft torque off the showroom
>> floor.

> MAN that's cool, bravo for Chrysler.

Yeah, they've got the right attitude IMO.

>>>I have an affinity for gigantic, powerful wagons. I plan to build
>>>a car called The Dragon some day. I'm thinking tubbed, green, wood
>>>paneled LTD with a bored and stroked 460, either with twin turbos
>>>or a roots blower. I'll even re-do the wood paneling.

>> Cool. A while ago Hot Rod did a spread on hi-po wagons. I died
>> over the '57 Merc twin-turbo 460. Awesome.

> Another thing to Google! I've been a slouch with keeping up on
> stuff. That WOULD be one awesome sled to have. So cool to see old
> wagons smoking the usual suspects at the strip.

Don't know if it's out there; I've never googled it before. I have
the mag stashed somewhere - I'll see if I can dig it up and post some
details.