new clutch slips :(

Old July 10th 05, 06:11 PM

Default new clutch slips :(

Guys,

I just installed a brandnew kevlar clutch in my 4runner. The clutch is
from southbend clutch and sports a 1600 lbs pressure plate.

Now that the clutch is in the first thing i notice is the clutch pedal
is soft as butter. pressing it in feels as light as the gas pedal.

the truck rols but the clutch slips at any serious rpm.

I wonder what the problem can be? I had the flywheel ground. Could it
be too thin so that the clutch doesnt engage? but still .. why is the
pedal so soft?

Is there any spec about how thick the flywheel has to be before it
doesnt work anymore (the 4runner wheel has a bump for the clutch disc
and the outside is recessed)..

Advice appreciated

Matt

(xpost)

Old July 10th 05, 07:36 PM
Bowgus

Ok ... there used to be clips to be removed from a new clutch ... ???

Old July 11th 05, 03:26 AM
Bowgus

Oh yeah .. and those clips removed themselves when the clutch was engaged.

Old July 13th 05, 02:38 AM
Caleb Walsh

You sure that you installed the disk facing the right way? Sounds as if
you may have put it in backwards. Hope for your sake all you need is to
bleed the system or adjust a linkage. Good luck.
Dave
Old July 13th 05, 08:19 PM

to all: thanks for the replys and help!

I took the clutch out and it looks like the disk is too thick by about
1 mm... the manufacturer is takeing it back for examination ...

I picked up an Aisin disc to run the truck in the meantime...

Matt

Old July 14th 05, 03:06 PM
Peter D. Hipson

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:16:48 GMT, Rob Munach >

>> to all: thanks for the replys and help!
>>
>> I took the clutch out and it looks like the disk is too thick by about
>> 1 mm... the manufacturer is takeing it back for examination ...
>>
>> I picked up an Aisin disc to run the truck in the meantime...
>>
>> Matt
>>

>I would think the thicker disk would make it slip less as the pressure
>plate would be compressed more.

Think 'over the center'... The pressure plate's pressure is not
linear, most of the pressure is in that little bit at teh end. Makes
using the clutch more acceptable.

Old July 15th 05, 12:17 AM

thought so too but if its too thick the diaphragm bends inwards and the
springs dont put any load on the disc ...

What now?? (Clutch slave again) Eric Jeep 11 May 29th 05 06:38 AM
Clutch slipping. Clutch cyl or need a new clutch bobbob1015 BMW 6 May 21st 05 12:19 AM
Question about soggy clutch TLittle Technology 1 May 10th 05 05:44 PM
Wrong Clutch Fork? Michael White Jeep 6 February 8th 05 03:33 AM
Wacky Clutch Peter Pontbriand Jeep 14 December 19th 04 12:42 PM