96 Explorer possible transmission/motor failure?

Old November 2nd 08, 11:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
ford96explorer

Default 96 Explorer possible transmission/motor failure?

I bought a 1996 Explorer Limited with 320,000km recently. Today while
I was driving..going about 40km..someone came infront of me so I
slowed down..after that when I accelerated the car wasnt
running/pulling so I pulled the car over and changed all gears back
and forth to check but nothing was working..then I switched off the
car and tried starting it again but it wouldnt even do that...it
would crank but a very different/wierd sound..nothing like click
clack but something like mechanical/robot'ish?
I then opened the hood and tried cranking it again and saw that the
pully wasnt moving.

Has anyone experienced this?or knows what Im talking about? Is there a
possible connection with the tranny and motor? Im most certain its a
broken timing chain but what doesnt get to me is that if thats the
case how come the transmission gave up on me before..and after I
switched off the car it wouldnt start again? Possible that both
tranny and motor are gone? (timing chain?) Any chance of bent
valves?

Please if someone can help me out with this.

2001 Sebring Transmission Failure - Need help Mike Chrysler 1 April 18th 07 05:39 AM
AC Blower motor failure Frost BMW 5 August 10th 06 06:40 PM
blower motor failure Hyde Russell Ford Explorer 2 April 24th 06 05:19 AM
2000 328i Transmission Failure Steve BMW 2 February 20th 05 04:37 AM
Transmission Failure Vito VW water cooled 8 October 6th 04 08:38 PM