2000 Saturn SL2 engine dies often but can be restarted

Old May 10th 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Leeinwind

Default 2000 Saturn SL2 engine dies often but can be restarted

My Saturn engine dies more and more often. It happened starting around one
year ago when I waited for a traffic light. I had to restart it. And then,
the engine dies more and more often. Usually, it happened when I made a
turn and waited for a traffic light. These days, even during driving on
highway normally, the engine died sometimes. However, I can always succeed
in restarting the car (sometimes I had to turn the key several times).

A mechanic checked my car, replace the four starter plugs and fuel filter.
The problem wasn't fixed. I knew that catalytic converter of my car was
also broken. The mechanic told me it could be the problem of "catalytic
converter". But I am wondering "catalytic converter" can cause engine die
during driving.

I do greatly appreciate for any advices or possible solutions to this
problem.

Thank you very much in advance.

Old May 10th 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Steve[_6_]

"Leeinwind" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> My Saturn engine dies more and more often. It happened starting around one
> year ago when I waited for a traffic light. I had to restart it. And then,
> the engine dies more and more often.

<snip>
> A mechanic checked my car, replace the four starter plugs and fuel filter.
> The problem wasn't fixed. I knew that catalytic converter of my car was
> also broken. The mechanic told me it could be the problem of "catalytic
> converter". But I am wondering "catalytic converter" can cause engine die
> during driving.

If there were a "Saturn FAQ," this would be one of the top few entries.
If you do a Google groups search (http://groups.google.com/) against this
newsgroup (rec.auto.makers.saturn), you'll find many, many articles dealing
with engines dying and/or revving low.
IIRC, Coolant Temperature Sensor and fuel problems (for example bad gas,
bad fuel pump) can cause these symptoms. Hopefully, others with better
memory and/ or more experience than I will happen along and provide more
useful information.
Good luck!

Old May 11th 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Leeinwind

Well, it seems to me there are many possible cases. I will try some in this
weekend and let you know how's going.

Old October 22nd 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Leeinwind

I'm coming back to report the result. I fixed the problem which was caused
by EGR valve failure. I tried to clean it but after a while, it failed
again so at last I bought a new one and then everything was perfect.

Thank everyone here. I got many useful advices.

Good luck.

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/...makers.saturn/
More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html