"Grrrr" wheel bearing or engine mount problem??

Old March 9th 11, 02:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

Default "Grrrr" wheel bearing or engine mount problem??

In article >, Anna Falcone > wrote:

>Hi, ok so I did the slalom thing going 30mph. The "grrrr" from the
>front fluctuated between "rah" and a "ruh" every time I turned the
>wheel in the opposite direction. Went back to grrrr immediately
>thereafter as I continued straight.

Wheel bearing. That's conclusive.
Old March 9th 11, 04:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Private

"millinghill" > wrote in message
On Mar 4, 7:30 pm, "Private" > wrote:
> "Doug Miller" > wrote in message
>
> > If it were an engine mount problem, the noise would have changed when
> > you
> > shifted into neutral and revved the engine. This is not engine-related.

> > Wheel bearings are a possible cause, although I'm more inclined to think
> > CV
> > joints -- wheel bearing problems more commonly manifest as a whine,
> > rather
> > than a growl, IME.

> > It could also be brakes -- if you apply the brakes lightly while keeping
> > enough pressure on the accelerator to maintain a constant speed, what
> > happens
> > to the noise?

> +1 to above, but CV joint failure often causes clicking noise especially
> when turning sharply at slow speed.
> .
> IMHE worn wheel bearing noise will vary (usually increase) when subjected
> side loading such as turning or changing direction. Often one direction
> will be louder than the other. A series of (careful) slalom type
> manoeuvres
> when on a straight level road (when safe to do so, wide dry road, no
> traffic) will usually tell the story. In addition, jack up each wheel and
> inspect for roughness, noise or most likely excessive side play at the top
> and bottom of the wheel. Could also be rear wheel bearing as it is hard to
> determine noise source from inside when driving? IMHE bad wheel bearings
> will make noise for a long time without complete failure but YMMV and
> failure could cause a serious accident.
>
> Good luck, YMMV- Hide quoted text -

Hi, ok so I did the slalom thing going 30mph. The "grrrr" from the
front fluctuated between "rah" and a "ruh" every time I turned the
wheel in the opposite direction. Went back to grrrr immediately
thereafter as I continued straight. Noise is not affected by
applying
brakes at all, so pretty sure brakes aren't the cause. I'm just
hoping
for some diagnosis advice and help, as doing the work myself is beyond
my
capabilities and (having recently moved) I'm not sure who's the most
trustworthy mechanic in my new neighborhood. I'd like to go into the
shop showing some intelligence.
Is the consensus still wheel bearings? All opinions appreciated.
Regards,
Theodore.

I usually do the slalom thing at a faster speed as IMHE noise at slower
speed is often increasingly noticed as the bearing gets worse, YMMV. I
strongly suspect one of your front wheel bearings is going bad, but as I
said previously,

>In addition, jack up each wheel (including rears) and >inspect for
>roughness, noise or most likely excessive side >play at the top and bottom
>of the wheel.

Noise and roughness can be hard to spot when the brake callipers are still
installed, unless the bearing is very worn.

While you have the wheel off the ground, also check for play in the tie rod
ends by rocking the wheel in a steering motion (side to side) and (use a
crowbar - carefully, do not damage the CV boot) check for play in the ball
joints.

When you take the car to a shop for an estimate, demand to witness the
mechanic doing these checks. Do not accept any crap about insurance not
covering you in the shop, but expect to wear safety glasses and do not touch
any tools. This is a straight forward job for which the shop should be able
to provide a firm price quote. Make sure they have the correct press tool
so they will only be pushing on the new bearing outer race when pressing it
into the steering knuckle and also that they will be installing a top
quality bearing.

Good luck, YMMV

Old April 6th 11, 06:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Private

"David T. Johnson" > wrote in message
diainc...
snip
> It's the wheel bearing. If it's the left front it will become slightly
> louder when you turn sharply to the right and almost go away when you turn
> to the left. (vice versa for right front) This is a very common thing
> for Saturns.

snip

I would normally agree with the above, but there can be exceptions.

I have just completed a left front wheel bearing replacement on an S series
car where the noise got louder when turned to the left and quieter when
turned to the right. It was a low mileage hub assembly and showed no slop
or looseness. The final diagnosis of which wheel was making the noise was
done by motoring the axle with the wheels and brake pads removed and
listening to the hub with a diaphragm & probe type mechanics stethoscope.
After the hub was removed there was no looseness or roughness when turned by
hand but some rough sounds could be heard with the stethoscope. It was very
noisy on the car when at highway speed.

Since I also replaced both tie rod ends, I also had a friend with an
alignment machine set the toe in properly and to check the other settings.
I used an old set of tires for the short drive to the alignment shop so as
not to wear my good tires. The bearings were quiet and car steered fine but
I do feel better for having also checked the alignment as the tie rod
setting was close but probably not really correct.

Good luck, YMMV

Audi A4 "right dipped headlight" problem, was Audi A4 "left dippedheadlight" problem mike[_24_] Audi 3 September 11th 08 02:20 AM
wheel bearing problem deafone 4x4 0 May 19th 07 06:04 PM
Problem with engine mount 97 SC-2 [email protected] Saturn 3 May 6th 07 03:28 PM
Honda S2000 oil starvation/ main engine bearing problem Gary Peiffer Honda 18 October 4th 05 03:41 AM
96 Golf GTI Wheel Bearing Problem Bunty Hoven VW water cooled 7 November 3rd 04 07:09 PM