Possible fix for "dead" autoboxes

Old July 6th 04, 12:58 AM
5potnoodle

Default Possible fix for "dead" autoboxes

I don't believe it but apparently it works 9 times out of 10.

Experiencing a slipping box and losing drive after a few minutes? Happened
to me once, mechanic told me it needed a new box so ended up scrapping the
car. Wish I had been told this little trick beforehand. For the cost of
doing it over replacing the box or the whole car, it's worth a try I reckon.

Drain the box, fill to operating levels with diesel, yes diesel, run the car
for about an hour (in gear on some axle stands I guess), drain and clean
filter and refill with proper fluid. Fixed!! Full function restored!!

I wouldn't have believed it but saw it done on an Audi 80 with the same
problems my old 100 had. It supposedly cleans the belts and the valves.

Anyone know why diesel has this effect?

---
IRL

UK 1989 Audi 200 TQ Avant (1B, full leather, hydraulic suspension) 223,000
miles and counting.........

---

Old July 6th 04, 01:12 AM
Jim

5potnoodle wrote:
> I don't believe it but apparently it works 9 times out of 10.
>
> Experiencing a slipping box and losing drive after a few minutes? Happened
> to me once, mechanic told me it needed a new box so ended up scrapping the
> car. Wish I had been told this little trick beforehand. For the cost of
> doing it over replacing the box or the whole car, it's worth a try I reckon.
>
> Drain the box, fill to operating levels with diesel, yes diesel, run the car
> for about an hour (in gear on some axle stands I guess), drain and clean
> filter and refill with proper fluid. Fixed!! Full function restored!!
>
> I wouldn't have believed it but saw it done on an Audi 80 with the same
> problems my old 100 had. It supposedly cleans the belts and the valves.
>
> Anyone know why diesel has this effect?

Besides all the other reasons I think this is a waste of time, how are
you going to get all that diesel out afterwards? There is no drain on
the torque converter and it hold about 60% of the fluid.

-jim
Old July 6th 04, 01:53 PM
R@L

"5potnoodle" > wrote in message
> I don't believe it but apparently it works 9 times out of 10.
>
> Experiencing a slipping box and losing drive after a few minutes? Happened
> to me once, mechanic told me it needed a new box so ended up scrapping the
> car. Wish I had been told this little trick beforehand. For the cost of
> doing it over replacing the box or the whole car, it's worth a try I

reckon.

> Drain the box, fill to operating levels with diesel, yes diesel, run the

car
> for about an hour (in gear on some axle stands I guess), drain and clean
> filter and refill with proper fluid. Fixed!! Full function restored!!
>
> I wouldn't have believed it but saw it done on an Audi 80 with the same
> problems my old 100 had. It supposedly cleans the belts and the valves.
>
> Anyone know why diesel has this effect?

Diesel is a good degreaser. In the old days of dirty engines, it was used to
clean the engines outside.
I think the cleaning effect in the box will make it work for a while.
Hopefully just enough to sell the thing off.

Ronald

Old July 10th 04, 11:59 PM
Len S.

It seems logical. Diesel is about the same as Kerosene, which is what you
have when you buy a can of WD40 (sold in the U.S. as a
solvent/lubricant/rusty nut loosener and other goofy stuff). And being
what it is, it will evaporate over time. The evaporation might accelerate
when heat is applied, but like some other posts point out, you'll have a
good amount left inside that will mix with the new. So perhaps a good thing
to do to might be to run it for a little while then drain and replace the
fluid again. Especially since it is in a closed place and cannot evaporate
out.
Just my 2 cents.
- Len