Front suspension squeaks over speed bumps

Old December 19th 09, 01:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Dan[_6_]

Default Front suspension squeaks over speed bumps

'95 Corolla makes some rubber-squeak noise when going over speed bumps
and road irregularities.
This is more pronounced when cold. After car has been driven for some
time, there's almost no noise.
I lubricated the sway bar bushings, then changed them to new OEM ones,
and got the same noise.
Any ideas what else can cause this?
Old December 19th 09, 01:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Dan wrote:
> '95 Corolla makes some rubber-squeak noise when going over speed bumps
> and road irregularities.
> This is more pronounced when cold. After car has been driven for some
> time, there's almost no noise.
> I lubricated the sway bar bushings, then changed them to new OEM ones,
> and got the same noise.
> Any ideas what else can cause this?

I'm assuming that this car has struts...

First of all, rubber bushings should not be lubricated, only
polyurethane or other aftermarket, hard "performance" bushings should
be. Rubber bushings work by twisting, there should be no movement
between any metal part and the surface of the rubber. So if lubricating
a bushing makes the noise go away that bushing should be replaced. (not
sure if you understood this from your post - it seems you may have.)

Do you detect any movement around the sway bar bushings when a helper
bounces the car? the sway bar may actually be worn undersize if it was
driven with bad bushings for too long. (seen it happen!)

if those check out OK, your next items to check would be the control arm
bushings and the strut bearing mounts - those are really the only items
in the suspension that could cause this noise

also check all your engine and transmission mounts - if any of them are
oily the engine oil rapidly degrades rubber

if you think you have found your squeak spray some lube like spray
silicone on it - if it then goes away replace that part

good luck

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old December 19th 09, 07:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 08:34:07 -0500, Nate Nagel >
wrote:

>Dan wrote:
>> '95 Corolla makes some rubber-squeak noise when going over speed bumps
>> and road irregularities.
>> This is more pronounced when cold. After car has been driven for some
>> time, there's almost no noise.
>> I lubricated the sway bar bushings, then changed them to new OEM ones,
>> and got the same noise.
>> Any ideas what else can cause this?

>I'm assuming that this car has struts...
>
>First of all, rubber bushings should not be lubricated, only
>polyurethane or other aftermarket, hard "performance" bushings should
>be. Rubber bushings work by twisting, there should be no movement
>between any metal part and the surface of the rubber. So if lubricating
>a bushing makes the noise go away that bushing should be replaced. (not
>sure if you understood this from your post - it seems you may have.)
>
>Do you detect any movement around the sway bar bushings when a helper
>bounces the car? the sway bar may actually be worn undersize if it was
>driven with bad bushings for too long. (seen it happen!)
>
>if those check out OK, your next items to check would be the control arm
>bushings and the strut bearing mounts - those are really the only items
>in the suspension that could cause this noise
>
>also check all your engine and transmission mounts - if any of them are
>oily the engine oil rapidly degrades rubber
>
>if you think you have found your squeak spray some lube like spray
>silicone on it - if it then goes away replace that part

I had a lot of squeaks on my explorer and tried the silicone spray. It
make things worse!!! What got rid of the squeaks was to spray it all
with engine degreaser and then hose it all off. That got rid of ALL
the squeaks and it's been two years and they have not come back.
Old December 20th 09, 07:41 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Dec 19, 8:29*am, Dan > wrote:
> '95 Corolla makes some rubber-squeak noise when going over speed bumps
> and road irregularities.
> This is more pronounced when cold. After car has been driven for some
> time, there's almost no noise.
> I lubricated the sway bar bushings, then changed them to new OEM ones,
> and got the same noise.
> Any ideas what else can cause this?

Sounds like your upper strut mounts are squeaky. Press down on the
hood to make your front end bounce. Does it squeak then?

'88 325 - bumps make a front end clunk,.. cosmo[_19_] BMW 2 May 17th 08 12:46 AM
Squeaks over speed bumps. Spud Unger[_2_] Ford Explorer 3 December 26th 06 08:14 AM
C5 Suspension Squeaks Pappy Corvette 3 June 3rd 06 03:47 AM
Speed bumps Magnulus Driving 24 March 22nd 05 01:28 PM
Cold weather rear suspension creak noise over bumps?? Mike Smith VW water cooled 0 December 27th 04 05:35 AM