Parking brake handle (E36)

Old May 29th 05, 06:21 AM
B.S.

Default Parking brake handle (E36)

I just purchased a used E36 M3; the previous owner removed the stock leather
handbrake handle and put an aluminum aftermarket thing on. I would like to
put a stock handle back on. The BMW dealer doesn't sell just the handle -
you have to buy the whole lever assembly. So I did, thinking I'll just take
the leather handle off the new lever and put it on the one in the car.

The question is, how do I take the handle off? It seems to be glued on very
tight. I'd like to avoid replacing the whole lever, if possible.

Any help appreciated.

B.S.

Old May 30th 05, 05:03 AM

As far as I know, you can't. That's why you buy the whole handle.

Old May 30th 05, 05:41 PM
Trunky

It definitley slides off, it may be stiff, but it does come off.

<<low price HL1 & HL2 servers for rental>>
<<10 player private clanserver 12 quid!!>>
http://www.stressed-out.org - for details or #stressed on quakenet
CS Public #1, 195.242.236.6:27015 ff=on, awp=off trial public server

Old May 31st 05, 09:12 AM
preps

Here are some handbrake removal procedures

1. Remove the rear section of the centre console
2. Slacken and remove both the handbrake cable locknuts and adjusting
nuts, and detach the cables from the compensator plate.
3. Disconnect the wiring connector from the warning light switch then undo
the retaining nuts/bolts, and remove the lever from the vehicle.

Old May 31st 05, 07:57 PM
Jeff Strickland

What's the problem with replacing the entire lever? Get the boot to cover it
up, and move on to another project.

Old June 4th 05, 11:32 AM
B.S.

Is there anything special to know about removing the rear section of the
center console? Do you just pull it off? I can't seem to find any info on
this -- don't want to break it.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old June 4th 05, 06:23 PM
Jeff Strickland

If you take the back seat ash tray out, you will find some screws hiding
inside.

Parking Brake JG Corvette 1 May 20th 05 07:40 PM
95 J30 parking brake adjustment problem suren Technology 3 March 31st 05 04:32 AM
2000 Parking Brake Doesn't Work [email protected] Ford Explorer 5 February 3rd 05 03:42 AM
Ford Contour and Focus, Mercury Mystique Parking Brake won't hold John Clonts Technology 1 January 25th 05 01:50 AM
Parking Brake Stuck Ralf Technology 0 December 19th 04 04:19 AM